Page 1 of 6
First Global Warming now this, what the fucks up?

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/06/the-sunspot-mys.html

Quote by your mom

Dark spots, some as large as 50,000 miles in diameter, typically move across the surface of the sun, contracting and expanding as they go. These strange and powerful phenomena are known as sunspots, but now they are all gone. Not even solar physicists know why it’s happening and what this odd solar silence might be indicating for our future.

Although periods of inactivity are normal for the sun, this current period has gone on much longer than usual and scientists are starting to worry—at least a little bit. Recently 100 scientists from Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa and North America gathered to discuss the issue at an international solar conference at Montana State University. Today's sun is as inactive as it was two years ago, and solar physicists don’t have a clue as to why.

"It continues to be dead," said Saku Tsuneta with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, program manager for the Hinode solar mission, noting that it is at least a little bit worrisome for scientists.

Dana Longcope, a solar physicist at MSU, said the sun usually operates on an 11-year cycle with maximum activity occurring in the middle of the cycle. The last cycle reached its peak in 2001 and is believed to be just ending now, Longcope said. The next cycle is just beginning and is expected to reach its peak sometime around 2012. But so far nothing is happening.

"It's a dead face," Tsuneta said of the sun's appearance.

Tsuneta said solar physicists aren't weather forecasters and they can't predict the future. They do have the ability to observe, however, and they have observed a longer-than-normal period of solar inactivity. In the past, they observed that the sun once went 50 years without producing sunspots. That period coincided with a little ice age on Earth that lasted from 1650 to 1700. Coincidence? Some scientists say it was, but many worry that it wasn’t.

Geophysicist Phil Chapman, the first Australian to become an astronaut with NASA, said pictures from the US Solar and Heliospheric Observatory also show that there are currently no spots on the sun. He also noted that the world cooled quickly between January last year and January this year, by about 0.7C.

"This is the fastest temperature change in the instrumental record, and it puts us back to where we were in 1930," Dr Chapman noted in The Australian today.

If the world does face another mini Ice Age, it could come without warning. Evidence for abrupt climate change is readily found in ice cores taken from Greenland and Antarctica. One of the best known examples of such an event is the Younger Dryas cooling, which occurred about 12,000 years ago, named after the arctic wildflower found in northern European sediments. This event began and ended rather abruptly, and for its entire 1000 year duration the North Atlantic region was about 5°C colder. Could something like this happen again? There’s no way to tell, and because the changes can happen all within one decade—we might not even see it coming.

The Younger Dryas occurred at a time when orbital forcing should have continued to drive climate to the present warm state. The unexplained phenomenon has been the topic of much intense scientific debate, as well as other millennial scale events.

Now this 11-year low in Sunspot activity has raised fears among a small but growing number of scientists that rather than getting warmer, the Earth could possibly be about to return to another cooling period. The idea is especially intriguing considering that most of the world is in preparation for global warming.

Canadian scientist Kenneth Tapping of the National Research Council has also noted that solar activity has entered into an unusually inactive phase, but what that means—if anything—is still anyone’s guess. Another solar scientist, Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, however, is certain that it’s an indication of a coming cooling period.

Sorokhtin believes that a lack of sunspots does indicate a coming cooling period based on certain past trends and early records. In fact, he calls manmade climate change "a drop in the bucket" compared to the fierce and abrupt cold that can potentially be brought on by inactive solar phases.

Sorokhtin’s advice: "Stock up on fur coats"…just in case.

Are we fucked or what?
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
wall...of...text...scary...me...no...like...wall...of...text...

EDIT: ok, so my post isn't a wate of bandwith, wow, haha, that's funny, instead of global warming, we're in danger of freezing!!! talk about irony!!!
Last edited by guitardude34875 at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by guitardude34875

-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
someone should tell al gore so he can finally shut the fuck up
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Thanks for ruining my day... I was getting ready to play some Gears of War, and now I just feel like cutting myself.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by guitardude34875

Then don't post and waste bandwidth.

Anyway that story does alarm me a bit.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
2012, makes sense.
If it indeed is true, there will be some major rape around here.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Ice Age, heh?

Well, we need to weed out the population anyways.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
greatt

well i live in canada and we just got thru a mini ice age (we call it winter) and i doubt a real one will be much of an adjustment.
Instead of a 3 month spring summer and fall itll be a 1 month...

sarcasm btw

ANARCHYYY!!!
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
just wait for the magnetic field to die, and the atmosphere to disappear, then we will dee who gives a **** about sun spots
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Oh ****

Aaaah well. It gives me an excuse to rape.

My friend, that single statement has managed to capture the whole essence of the Pit.

I applaud you.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Why everyone so afraid of another Ice Age?
It should be a funny adventure, with some great 3D animation, that the whole family can enjoy.
Last edited by Rhythm__Guitar at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by Broken_Drum
Affirmative my friend.

Sweet, this Ice Age is going to awesome.

Serious teim:
This is going to be an interesting to see, I wonder how much society will alter if it does occur.
that would prove global warming wrong? so which is it? if an ice age is comming i recommend we leave all the lights on in our homes a saftey measure.
God dammit...

Just God Dammit...

Please...can someone just nuke the sun or something?

We shall make our own damn sunspots
The Pit. The Movie.
global warming was all bull anyways. so much evidence against it. it was actually proven to be a heating cycle before a major cooling cycle. now i guess we're really gonna cool thanks to this. yay to snow days.
meh, I live in southern California, so i wouldn,t mind some relief from 110 degree summers
On that note, I just got a great mental image

At a press conference scientist realized the truth

Direct quote from them "We are now aware that global warming does not exist. Instead we found the real problem. The sun died. Thank you"
The Pit. The Movie.
But every day is a great day with two scoops of raisins! If the sun dies, what will be on the box of Raisin Bran?!?
Quote by dudius
But every day is a great day with two scoops of raisins! If the sun dies, what will be on the box of Raisin Bran?!?

ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by athlete1
global warming was all bull anyways. so much evidence against it. it was actually proven to be a heating cycle before a major cooling cycle. now i guess we're really gonna cool thanks to this. yay to snow days.

i know it was a heating cycle but the globe was still warming so me 1 you 0 and im sure that if we create enough smog it will warm us. just how much is enough? we shall need oxygen tanks!
this kinda reminds me of the song "blacken the cursed sun" by lamb of god. although the song isn't actually about the sun blackening, still.......

this is gonna be an awesome couple of years, i love cold.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Fortunately I keep a dead Tauntaun around for just such an occasion.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by guitardude34875
EDIT: ok, so my post isn't a wate of bandwith, wow, haha, that's funny, instead of global warming, we're in danger of freezing!!! talk about irony!!!

You do know that the main fear about 'global warming' is that it's going to prematurely bring along the next ice age right?

/me is reading OP now.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
lets grow beards and kill eachother in the snow to the sound of awesome death metal.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Fortunately I keep a dead Tauntaun around for just such an occasion.

+4654674856165498456135798646

You have know idea how much i love you, and coincidentally the music from the Hoth Battle is playing on my Itunes.
well...now there gonna try to get us to pay bcuz we look at the sun too much and its killing it...damn solar power
Quote by haz_uk
lets grow beards and kill eachother in the snow to the sound of awesome death metal.

Yea! And lets kill thousands of innocent fluffy animals for their fur!
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
We get paranoid at every hiccup sneeze and fart that happens. Whatever it is, let it be. If we don't see it coming, oh well. Natural Selection at it's best. But I doubt it.
OMG those crazy Mayans might be right
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby