Hey Everyone,

So after weeks of researching and loads of different guitars I've found myself at this:

Takamine EAN70C
http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1970&sid=62#

For those of you living in Canada, I've been looking at this one down at Steve's Music at Queen and Spadina in Toronto.

Anywho, with a hard case included they're charging $980+ tax (Cdn). It's at the high end of my price range but I have no problem cracking out that dough. I've played it a fair bit -- she's a gem. I won't get into types of sound because I'm still learning how to associate words with them (i.e. "bright", "warm" etc). Long story short, I really like this guitar minus 2 things:

1) no pickguard.. but the guy at the store said he'd install one free for me. Just curious.. I doubt it but would this affect the sound negatively? I realize acoustics guitars have pickguards :P just wondering if installing it would make a difference.

2) the wires for the electronics are visible if you were to look at the guitar from the same angle as the site shows. This is merely an aesthetic issue but it was a little bit of a turn off.

Any thoughts/comments/experiences with this model? (PS, having all solid wood was a big selling pt! :])

~Todd
Quote by tleblanc
Hey Everyone,

So after weeks of researching and loads of different guitars I've found myself at this:

Takamine EAN70C
http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1970&sid=62#

For those of you living in Canada, I've been looking at this one down at Steve's Music at Queen and Spadina in Toronto.

Anywho, with a hard case included they're charging $980+ tax (Cdn). It's at the high end of my price range but I have no problem cracking out that dough. I've played it a fair bit -- she's a gem. I won't get into types of sound because I'm still learning how to associate words with them (i.e. "bright", "warm" etc). Long story short, I really like this guitar minus 2 things:

1) no pickguard.. but the guy at the store said he'd install one free for me. Just curious.. I doubt it but would this affect the sound negatively? I realize acoustics guitars have pickguards :P just wondering if installing it would make a difference.

2) the wires for the electronics are visible if you were to look at the guitar from the same angle as the site shows. This is merely an aesthetic issue but it was a little bit of a turn off.

Any thoughts/comments/experiences with this model? (PS, having all solid wood was a big selling pt! :])

~Todd

The pickguard will hinder the vibrations ever so slightly(if you want to be really picky). However, no person on earth would be able to tell the difference, no matter what anyone says. So... no. A pickguard will not hinder the sound. Your arm leaning on the guitar when you play standing up makes a bigger difference than the pickguard.

Actually, the guitar is not all solid. only the top and back are. the sides are not. however, the back contribute more to the tone of the instrument than the side, so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

As for the wires... you wont look into the guitar that often, so it's all good

Ohh, and remember to get them to install a strap button(if you want it). They did mine for $1, but im sure they wont mind just throwing it in. heck, what can they do with $1?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
1) Good call on the pickguard. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, I picked a burgendy/kinda sunburst one to match the tuning keys!

2) The clerk must've had it wrong saying it was all solid (after you made that pt the site does make it clear for only the top and bottom.. so again, nice call). That being said, I was on the fence between this and a 200 series Taylor (I believe) which only had a solid top so this still comes out as our winner.

3) I guess it isn't really worth getting upset about -- the wiring that is. The thing can't be perfect and if that's the only flaw I can come up with then I'm totally satisfied with that

4) As for a strap button, are we talking about one that should be located right where the neck meets the body? Or is it somewhere up around/behind the nut?

5) Finally, it sounds as if you've been to and purchased from Steve's before. Do I stand much of a chance trying to either barter for no tax or am I going to have a better shot trying to get things thrown in? (i.e. strings, strap etc)?

Thanks for all of your help and I plan on heading back over this week to bring her home!

~Todd
Quote by tleblanc
1) Good call on the pickguard. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, I picked a burgendy/kinda sunburst one to match the tuning keys!

2) The clerk must've had it wrong saying it was all solid (after you made that pt the site does make it clear for only the top and bottom.. so again, nice call). That being said, I was on the fence between this and a 200 series Taylor (I believe) which only had a solid top so this still comes out as our winner.

3) I guess it isn't really worth getting upset about -- the wiring that is. The thing can't be perfect and if that's the only flaw I can come up with then I'm totally satisfied with that

4) As for a strap button, are we talking about one that should be located right where the neck meets the body? Or is it somewhere up around/behind the nut?

5) Finally, it sounds as if you've been to and purchased from Steve's before. Do I stand much of a chance trying to either barter for no tax or am I going to have a better shot trying to get things thrown in? (i.e. , strings, strap etc)?

Thanks for all of your help and I plan on heading back over this week to bring her home!

~Todd

For the strap button, most guitars come with one at the bottom of the guitar. the strap button im talking about is the one that will be close to the heel of the neck.

I've actually purchased two guitars from Steves and have been quite satisfied. I bought my ESP LTD B-55 5 string bass and my Art & Lutherie Cedar CW there.

I doubt you'll be able to get no tax. That would be quite a feat. You'd have to bargain like crazy to do that. It would probably be easier for you to ge things thrown in. Strings, strap(make sure you get a comfortable one), setup(if needed), string winder, humidifier(you really need a humidifier since it's solid wood), microfiber wiping cloth, patch chord... that's all i can really think of right now.
Equipment:

All of this help has been unreal and I really appreciate it. Im heading downtown right now to hopefully buy.. but one last question.

Considering the model/wood/specs/company. Is 980+ tax a reasonable price?

Thanks, hope to hear from ya soon!

~Todd
Let your ears decide for yourself. I don't believe you can go wrong with a takamine though.
Equipment: