I have been playing guitar for over a year, and I still cannot tell if a cheap Squier guitar sounds better than an American Fender, or even the difference between humbuckers and single coils. I can tell the difference between neck pickup vs. bridge and tone knobs. I just have a really hard time hearing the difference between expensive and inexpensive instruments. Do I just need more experience?
Just listen and listen and listen. It also has to do with what they are going through. An inferior instrument can sound great through a good amp.
well, you're probably just more honest then most. It takes a while before your playing develops and you start to know what types of equipment will work for your style.

If you can't tell, just keep playing what you have.
it will come with time - people who don't play guitar at all think all 7 of my guitars sound the same.

playing differently configured guitars through a higher end amp would definitly make it easier to hear differences.
Probably just need more time. Most people just say that x sounds better because its more expensive, in fact human psychology apparently says we automaticly think more expensive = better (at least its been proven for wine)

Though after having had my PRS for 6 months, when i play my squier i can really tell how bad it sounds when i never noticed before.
Yeah it just takes time and some times you don't even notice that you're hearing a difference.

I know I'm not the only one who's gotten a new guitar played it for a while and thought that it sounds the same an older much cheaper guitar, but then when I go back and play said guitar, the difference is obvious.
it will come with time, hell i know a guy that played guitar and bass for a pretty long time and he didn't hear the difference between E standard and C Standard
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by rmcgdd
I have been playing guitar for over a year, and I still cannot tell if a cheap Squier guitar sounds better than an American Fender, or even the difference between humbuckers and single coils. I can tell the difference between neck pickup vs. bridge and tone knobs. I just have a really hard time hearing the difference between expensive and inexpensive instruments. Do I just need more experience?

It was ages before I could tell the difference between even singles and humbuckers, let alone different types of humbucker...it just comes with time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well cheap and expenve sound its really not that important lots of bands go for cheap sounds to fit their style (examples: kurt would unse lots of fakes when playing live, and Jack white is known for using pour quallity pickups) so the value of your guitar has nothing to do with the sound you may wanna achive imo

as for neck and bridge theres a difrence strike a chord and switch pick ups if you dont notice it there may be something wrong with your electronics

and if you wanna train your ears try playing your mp3/computer/tv at lower volume setting and this will slowlygive you the abilitty to pick up sound better

sorry for my english

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
thanskf or your honesty. i'd say this is a skill and natural talent. you can learn to an extent, but it won't be as good as other people who can tell. personally, i can tell between humbuckers and single coils, and different body woods, but not for body shape(except sustain, it's kinda obvious). some people can tell you what kind of a guitar it is just by playing it. like v's get more treble on the lowest and highest strings, strats are twangy, les pauls have good low end and mids, etc. takes time to figure these things out
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by rmcgdd

if your talkin about your 86 mij........correct me if i'm wrong but those are not cheap squier's.....but pretty nice guitars that still sell for a good price.
Quote by apak
thanskf or your honesty. i'd say this is a skill and natural talent. you can learn to an extent, but it won't be as good as other people who can tell. personally, i can tell between humbuckers and single coils, and different body woods, but not for body shape(except sustain, it's kinda obvious). some people can tell you what kind of a guitar it is just by playing it. like v's get more treble on the lowest and highest strings, strats are twangy, les pauls have good low end and mids, etc. takes time to figure these things out

Wait, isn't it Teles that are twangy?
never heard that Strats were twangy
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by stebbic
Wait, isn't it Teles that are twangy?
never heard that Strats were twangy

They both are to an extent, but the classic Tele sound is more twangy.

And TS, when you played the Squier and the American-made one, what amp were you playing them through? Maybe you can't tell the difference in guitar, but if you plugged into a cheap amp and then a nicer one, I bet you could tell the difference... amps are said to be 80% of the sound, you could probably notice that.
Quote by voteforpedro36
Maybe you can't tell the difference in guitar, but if you plugged into a cheap amp and then a nicer one, I bet you could tell the difference...

i second that same thing happend with me with my old amp i was worried cause my guitar sounded like **** so i got me a new one and later i found out it was the amp (-_-")

so yeah if your tacking lessons in a guitar shop when you finish just plug your guitar into a amp and test it you will surely know the diference

also dont you notice the diferent when playing with your teachen as to when you play at home?

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by mmjohn
if your talkin about your 86 mij........correct me if i'm wrong but those are not cheap squier's.....but pretty nice guitars that still sell for a good price.

You're right, it isn't cheap. It's incredibly well built, and the only thing that has failed on it was the 5-way switch, which I replaced (I know the history of the instrument, so I'm aware of what it's been through).

Quote by voteforpedro36
And TS, when you played the Squier and the American-made one, what amp were you playing them through? Maybe you can't tell the difference in guitar, but if you plugged into a cheap amp and then a nicer one, I bet you could tell the difference... amps are said to be 80% of the sound, you could probably notice that.

I haven't actually played one, but I've heard them played. Perhaps that makes a difference. In my time playing, although I haven't yet developed a good ear for tone, I'm pretty good with frequency and notes.
Quote by rmcgdd
You're right, it isn't cheap. It's incredibly well built, and the only thing that has failed on it was the 5-way switch, which I replaced (I know the history of the instrument, so I'm aware of what it's been through).

I haven't actually played one, but I've heard them played. Perhaps that makes a difference. In my time playing, although I haven't yet developed a good ear for tone, I'm pretty good with frequency and notes.

keep playin brother............it 'll come!
Quote by mmjohn
keep playin brother............it 'll come!

My plan exactly.