Poll: Which guitar do you like better? (Blues, Jazz, Prog. Rock)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar do you like better? (Blues, Jazz, Prog. Rock)
PRS Custom
49 57%
Fender Strat
37 43%
Voters: 86.
Page 1 of 2
Recently my playing has taken a completely different change of pace.

While I've been playing metal for a long time, I've more and more been drawn to playing blues, jazz, and progressive/alt rock lately. And this has fueled my desire for a new guitar to better suit this.

However, I'm torn between getting a PRS or Fender Strat. What do you all think?

Oh, and if possible, I was wondering how I could get an ebony fingerboard for the Strat.
Are we talking MIM Fenders and SE PRSs or MIA Fenders and real PRSs?

And I've never heard of a strat with an ebony fretboard...
IMO for blues and prog rock (Gilmour and Clapton come to mind) a nice Fender USA Strat would do the job very well,

Then again, Santana does spring to mind with his bluesy playing style, Your call brother!

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Just bought a PRS Custom 24 and it's the most amazing guitar i've ever played. So i vote PRS.
ive always liked PRS's better....
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
PRS MAN! one of the most amazing guitars i've played
Gear:

Ibanez GSZ120

Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic

Roland Cube 60

Roland Micro-Cube
I was on PRS all day at the guitar show today, so nice ! i'd get one over a strat anyday.. price is quite steep though.
I say listen to the players that symbolise where you want to take your playing. Don't know if that helps.
Quote by T!AN

my Strat Ultra has an ebony fretboard.
other than that i think youd need a custom strat or maybe a fat strat? (for ebony fretboard)
Quote by T!AN

MIA Fenders, real PRS's

Quote by xAlayax
I say listen to the players that symbolise where you want to take your playing. Don't know if that helps.

That kind of goes both ways too, really.

One one hand there's Mark Knopfler, Gilmour, Clapton, etc.

On the other, Mikael Akerfeldt, Steve Wilson, and Santana.

And I know a good bit about PRS's, but not Strats. I was wondering how I might get a strat that looks like a John Mayer, without it necessarily being a John Mayer. I'm adverse to signature guitars, and having someone's name on my guitar.

Also, if I get a Strat, I want to know I'm getting one that will last over the years (like ones these great players have), but I have no idea where to start. I hardly know one Strat from another.
Fender.com

scout for what you want friend. and if Fenders are know for anything its being durable

as for the ebony fretboard you can always go warmouth, but that always ends up more expensive than you expected.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by plucky duck
Fender.com

scout for what you want friend. and if Fenders are know for anything its being durable

as for the ebony fretboard you can always go warmouth, but that always ends up more expensive than you expected.

Well yeah, I could always go there, but I prefer hearing it from players rather than the manufacturer.

And I'd prefer an actual Fender neck than a Warmouth.
If you have the cash for a real PRS, you could maybe contact the Fender Custom Shop and request that they build a custom guitar just for you. You could specify the ebony fretboard, pickups, whatever you want.
Best of all, it could cover the styles you want and it'd be YOUR guitar.
"Take chances. Do not go through life wishing, instead go through life remembering. There are too many possibilities out there to let them just pass you by. Above all else, have FUN. You only live once, enjoy it while you can."
Quote by failsaferemedy
If you have the cash for a real PRS, you could maybe contact the Fender Custom Shop and request that they build a custom guitar just for you. You could specify the ebony fretboard, pickups, whatever you want.
Best of all, it could cover the styles you want and it'd be YOUR guitar.

That's a real good point, and is very true.

The only thing against that is, I'd prefer not to spend that much if I can avoid it.
My friend has an American Deluxe HSS strat, and I prefer my PRS SE over it by a large margin.

I'd take a PRS over a Fender any day.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Fender Stratocaster, you can't go wrong
Fender is the finest guitar ever made
Quote by Delanoir
MIA Fenders, real PRS's

That kind of goes both ways too, really.

One one hand there's Mark Knopfler, Gilmour, Clapton, etc.

On the other, Mikael Akerfeldt, Steve Wilson, and Santana.

And I know a good bit about PRS's, but not Strats. I was wondering how I might get a strat that looks like a John Mayer, without it necessarily being a John Mayer. I'm adverse to signature guitars, and having someone's name on my guitar.

Also, if I get a Strat, I want to know I'm getting one that will last over the years (like ones these great players have), but I have no idea where to start. I hardly know one Strat from another.

I know what you mean by not wanting a signature strat but you're direction is headed much like mine.

I would take the JM strat anyday.
The frets are real nice and would be expensive to change on a normal strat
the pick ups are nice too.

I suppose you could take a normal strat and mod it similar to his.
If you played a JM strat then you know it flies kites over the other strats. It's very nice.
If you're looking toward blues like mayer's then you've got to somewhat like SRV and Hendrix and they're main guitar was.,... A STRAT!!!

A strat is the better choice. Upgrades help, but stock, a strat is better for blues. My next guitar is gonna be a strat. I love the feel and look of maple fretboards.

Ebony isn't a good fretboard for a blues sound. It is nice but it is much more dense and probably isn't the best choice for blues. Even rosewood is better IMO

Get a strat! You won't regret it.
Strat all the way, brother. I know lots of metalheads who buy a strat to compliment there Jackson, Dean, ESP, or Schecter when they decide to get into lighter styles of music. I would also suggest a standard American strat, because it and the deluxe the basic american strats, and the C-1 switching on the deluxe is more trouble then its worth IMO.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by becco
Fender Stratocaster, you can't go wrong

yes you can. fender's versatility can only go so far comparing to prs custom 22 and 24.
Quote by kckyle
yes you can. fender's versatility can only go so far comparing to prs custom 22 and 24.

fender isn't the best for metal if that's what you mean by versatile. But he has been playing metal for a while so I would assume he has a guitar for metal and doesn't need one for that. Fenders get a better sound for blues than PRS guitars do.
Quote by kai29
fender isn't the best for metal if that's what you mean by versatile. But he has been playing metal for a while so I would assume he has a guitar for metal and doesn't need one for that. Fenders get a better sound for blues than PRS guitars do.

nop, prs custom 24 and 22 has superior pickups and also has the option of coil splitting. you can pull out a strat and a les paul tone out of these beauty. not to mention the prs custom 224 and 22 has better craftsmanship. the trem on these prs stays in tune just as well as these floyd rose. i myself is getting a custom 24 over the summer. btw ts you're better off looking on ebay or craigslist. you can saveup at least 1 grand guarantee
Last edited by kckyle at Jun 14, 2008,
Quote by kckyle
nop, prs custom 24 and 22 has superior pickups and also has the option of coil splitting. you can pull out a strat and a les paul tone out of these beauty. not to mention the prs custom 224 and 22 has better craftsmanship. the trem on these prs stays in tune just as well as these floyd rose. i myself is getting a custom 24 over the summer. btw ts you're better off looking on ebay or craigslist. you can saveup at least 1 grand guarantee

coil splitting 2 humbuckers doesn't compare to a SSS arrangement
and the new strats are routed for HSH so he can put humbuckers in and mod them for a coil tap and it'd still cost less than a PRS Custom 22 and 24

and if PRS is such a superior quality instrument, why are there so many professionals to use fender?

on a side note.
if a PRS neck breaks, because it's set, you will have to spend major money to get it repaired or buy a new one.

Fender has much more customization options to better suit the sound he's looking for
Quote by kai29
coil splitting 2 humbuckers doesn't compare to a SSS arrangement
and the new strats are routed for HSH so he can put humbuckers in and mod them for a coil tap and it'd still cost less than a PRS Custom 22 and 24

and if PRS is such a superior quality instrument, why are there so many professionals to use fender?

on a side note.
if a PRS neck breaks, because it's set, you will have to spend major money to get it repaired or buy a new one.

Fender has much more customization options to better suit the sound he's looking for

you'll get why prs is better then fender and gibson when you play one.

because fender has been out there longer. so is more popular. prs has only been around 10 years or so. and superior quality has nothing to do with popularity
oh the side note i have not once see a fender behind the counter of a guitar store where they usually keep the high class gibsons and prs and gretch. and nyc has alot of big guitar stores to offer
Quote by kckyle
oh the side note i have not once see a fender behind the counter of a guitar store where they usually keep the high class gibsons and prs and gretch. and nyc has alot of big guitar stores to offer

to be honest, I've seen more fenders back there then PRSs, and I've seen pretty much an equal number of PRSs and Fenders out on the normal shelves.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome
to be honest, I've seen more fenders back there then PRSs, and I've seen pretty much an equal number of PRSs and Fenders out on the normal shelves.

oops i meant the prs customs and MIA fenders.
Quote by kckyle
oops i meant the prs customs and MIA fenders.

that's becuase
PRS is a thousand dollars more

If they carry the high priced fenders and signature models, then they will be back there too
Quote by kai29
that's becuase
PRS is a thousand dollars more

If they carry the high priced fenders and signature models, then they will be back there too

a thousand dollar more in craftmanship prs unlike gibson won't jack up the price just because is a prs.
I come from a similar background playing metal and jazz; especially for my jazz and blues stuff I'd prefer a PRS. I used to have a strat and it was great but my friend just got a PRS Custom 24 and IMO it blows the Strat out of the water. Yea a PRS costs a bit more but its worth every dollar, the craftsman ship is amazing, its so comfortable, and feels so smooth when you play it.

Of course then it depends if it will be a regular thing for you playing this type of music or if its just an itch.

Like if you don't think its really gonna end up being a lasting endeavor and hobbie playing jazz and blues then save the money and get the Strat; but if you really wan to play this kind of music do yourself a favor save up and get a PRS
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
Quote by kai29
I know what you mean by not wanting a signature strat but you're direction is headed much like mine.

I would take the JM strat anyday.
The frets are real nice and would be expensive to change on a normal strat
the pick ups are nice too.

I suppose you could take a normal strat and mod it similar to his.
If you played a JM strat then you know it flies kites over the other strats. It's very nice.
If you're looking toward blues like mayer's then you've got to somewhat like SRV and Hendrix and they're main guitar was.,... A STRAT!!!

A strat is the better choice. Upgrades help, but stock, a strat is better for blues. My next guitar is gonna be a strat. I love the feel and look of maple fretboards.

Ebony isn't a good fretboard for a blues sound. It is nice but it is much more dense and probably isn't the best choice for blues. Even rosewood is better IMO

Get a strat! You won't regret it.

Thanks, you really seem to know what you're talking about. I didn't know that about ebony. I think I prefer rosewood to maple, personally, though.

I'll have to call nearby guitar stores to see if they have any JM Strats, so I can see what they play and sound like in my hands. And just for comparison's sake, some other good American Strats.

Quote by kai29

Indeed. I have an ESP SV. I have metal covered, guitar-wise.
Quote by Delanoir
Indeed. I have an ESP SV. I have metal covered, guitar-wise.

In that case, I cast my vote for a nice strat...
everyone seems to vote for the model they own...............so the advice seems to be tainted.........get what you like best and feels best to you. and let the pissing contest end.
Quote by mmjohn
everyone seems to vote for the model they own...............so the advice seems to be tainted.........get what you like best and feels best to you. and let the pissing contest end.

Of course they do!? Why why else would you get an instrument, cuz you like it. Then it becomes greater than anything else.

Personally, I don't own or ever have owned a strat or any fender for that matter. I have a gibson explorer. I like some 80's metal solos and sweet stuff like that but when I'm playing, I like to play stuff like 90's alternative. I like rock of different sorts- especially queen. I own the explorer because it's comfortable and can handle the music I like with a pick up change and a good clean amp with good overdrive.

I didn't like strats all that much when I started, I liked wider necks because I started on a classical with a fat/wide neck. But as I learned more music and began to understands why certain guitars are used for certain genres and tones they produce, I quickly learned that I like strats a lot. Don't get me wrong a good les paul or PRS is nice, but I have learned that blues is very good to know and that Stratocasters provide the best tone for it.

I've played so many strats, I wonder why I chose a gibson explorer to buy, but I love explorers and there's nothing wrong with getting another guitar- thus my next will be a strat.

The alder bodies along with the SSS pickup arragement provide the perfect tone for blues and is superior for blues than most other companies produced. On top of that, a stratocaster is extremely versatile with a few modifications, just look at what malmsteen did and how great of a player and musician he is. I don't want to do that with my strat (when I get it) but if I wanted to, I could. Once you get tired of blues and nice cleans and you want some grit with your guitar, a strat is extremely easy to change for that new genre.

And also, a strat has tons of neck shaped to try and see what is most comfortable. You may also want to look into that if the standard one isn't comfortable.

Dunlop® 6105 Narrow Jumbo Frets are what makes the mayer strat's neck play so well. and it's neck is a little thicker than normal so my hand doesn't get so much fatigue. The only thing I don't like about the mayer strat is that it only has 21 frets as opposed to the available 22. But it's not like I'll be playing blues way up there much anyways.

That may be another thing you'll want to look into on a strat if you are going to buy one. You may want the 22nd fret on the neck. Plenty of strats are available with the 22nd fret so that's not a huge problem if you want it.

and make sure you play the JM strat on a good clean amp if you plug it in. you probably won't want to be testing it on a marshall or a mesa rectifier
Great to know! Thanks again.

Would there be any advantage to getting a Standard MIA Strat over the JM?

And I looked up the prices for these online (1,000 or so for the Standard, 1,500 for the JM), but does anyone know how much they actually go for in person?
advantage- you pick the color, woods (if you are looking at other strat's in that price range), the biggest is the cost. Also the number of frets.

if i were you, i'd get a standard for about 1000 or less if used or you have a sale or discount. they're still great and if you decide you'd like to change something you can do it later. to make the standard more like the JM sig, all you need to do is the fret redress and pick up swap to the big dipper pups which are probably 80 each. the fret redress can be expensive though. You'll be more likely to change something that you want differen't on a standard than a signature model anyways.
You're on the same situation as me: I also used to play mostly metal, but got more interested in blues, jazz, rock and more prog styles

The PRS Customs and the Strats are also my two favourite guitars. I've played both and I have to say... that both are great, but different. You're unlucky, because I didn't have the money for a PRS so I had to get a Strat, but you have enough cash for getting either of them :P

I'd advise you to think about it, and decide what influences you more: the bluesy or the rocker and prog part. So get the Strat for the first or the PRS for the second. I can't help you more ^^'
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
well i actually have both a prs custom 22 and a MIA strat

both are awesome guitars, i think if i had to only have one of the two i would take the PRS though, it has a wider range of tones
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Quote by gishuk
well i actually have both a prs custom 22 and a MIA strat

both are awesome guitars, i think if i had to only have one of the two i would take the PRS though, it has a wider range of tones

There ya go... get both!
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD