ok when i practice i almost dont want to plug into the amp cause it sounds better when i dont. the whole feel of what im playing is closer to what im going for with no amp. i used to love playing into my amp, but now i just think it sounds horrid. could this mean that i have developed more of an ear and can just tell that my gear is cheap, or is it more likely a technique problem? (btw, its got new strings so thats not the problem)

My gear is a Jackson JS30 (no tremelo) and a roland microcube (mogami neutrik cable).

if its the gear which would you suggest upgrading first? i was going to buy an Epi LP standard, and if possible a new amp (though that is proving to be a whole ordeal on which one to pick).

thanks

i play Metallica, GNR, and some punk stuff. though im really starting to get into the blues style of playing
string brand???? rofl. that can make the difference, not age of strings. i'd say your problem is amp. not the guitar or cable. go for a good tube combo. i'd recommend vox valvetronix (not all tube but good for the money)
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
cubes are solid practice amps

if you really are choosing between the amp and guitar, id recommend getting a new guitar on the basis that cubes are decent lil amps, if you wont be gigging soon or dont jam that often a new tube amp wont really be worth your money, and js jacksons are pretty terrible

and if your dissatisfied with your tone, play around with it.
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
i use ernie ball. i was looking around for some 30w or so combo amps. that new peavey vypyr loooks interesting as does the fender g-dec. along with the other standard suggestions of valvetronix, and valvekings and such.

i just hate how i cant modify my tone through the use of low, mid, and high knobs...
Quote by jusfuris
i use ernie ball. i was looking around for some 30w or so combo amps. that new peavey vypyr loooks interesting as does the fender g-dec. along with the other standard suggestions of valvetronix, and valvekings and such.

i just hate how i cant modify my tone through the use of low, mid, and high knobs...

a valvetronix wont be a big upgrade over your current amp. if you were to get a new amp id recommend a small tube amp

just keep playing around with the eq and sooner or later your ears will get accustomed to the frequencies
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Microcubes aren't that bad.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i definately wont be gigging soon, but id like to have an amp i could jam with friends with.

i have a pretty good job for the summer so theres a chance ill be able to afford both a guitar and amp. im pretty set on a Epi LP standard for the guitar. and not at all sure onthe amp, maybe a blackheart stack? they sound and look cool on youtube through epi's. but id want to try one first.

and ive changed every thing on the guitar and amp and cant find a decent tone out of this setup. its discouraging. ive been playing my acoustic way more becasue of this (which isnt so bad )
First off turn the effects off.. If you've had them on.

for a high gain tone, try the tone knob at 5-6, gain around 6-7 and use the rectifier setting.

What do you play?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i usually play without the effects. and oddly enough, the setting you suggested are what i usually run the amp at, lol.

i play metallica and GNR and am starting to learn blues
i knew i needed new amp when i started taking lessons cause mine dint sound not even close to what my teacher had i mean all my setting sounded the same (distortion) anyways i got me a vox 30 and im happy it gives you diferent styles its like having 12 diferent amps haha i like choises and remember 15w its all you need i have my 30 set to 15

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
thats what mine seems to be doing, most of the setting sound fairly close to the same. only a minor difference even when the changes are all the way from one extreme to the other. im really thinking its the guitar cause everyone seems to love this amp and it was a fairly cheap guitar. but i would like to have an amp that has a customizable tone rather than basically just modeling.

i may have to just get both this summer. i have a decent job for the summer and no job for the school year. so its basically upgrade what i want now, or wait till christmas break (when i can work again) or till next summer (more likely)