you know as crazy as it sounds it may work. im pretty sure the idea of an airplane seemed wacko at first.
yeah true.
I'm sure there will be heavy security surrounding the elevator.
But still, you know that sound jets make when they exit/enter new atmospheres?
Sonic booms I think they are called.
Yeah, get ready for a ton of those xD
The whole idea behind it is to transport people to space colonies that will eventually exist, so yes, they will be used as much as airplanes. The oxygen is onboard, the elevators are planned to have simulated gravity and they're working on a special design for the lift mechanism....anything else?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Easy pickings for terrorists if it was ever made.

...Some people never learn.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
As long as humanity doesn't get wiped out by the greenhouse effect, I'm happy...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Quote by magnus_maximus

You also seem to forget that the actual 'rope' taht will connect the elevator to space will be made of diamand "nanorods", the hardest possibly conceivable material imaginable, made of concentrated diamonds. I doubt even a nuke could break it.

Actually it will be made of Carbon Nanotubes. Not diamonds.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by magnus_maximus
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Brain fart, sorry

Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']

+1

I lol'd.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Good idea, but I think investing in a Single Stage To Orbit vehicle is more important. The idea of funnelling such prodigous amounts of money into something that at the moment is still in such conceptual stages makes no engineering sense at the moment. I hope they come back to it though, I'd love to see this happen.

EDIT:Carbon Nanotubes have been proven to be at least as hard and have similar tensile strength to Diamond, I think.
Quote by magnus_maximus
:headdesk:

What do you think Sonic means? A cartoon character? blue freaking hedgehog? it means SOUND.

SOUND-BASED BOOM. It's made whenever something breaches the SOUND BARRIER. Basically 340 metres a second. It's because the air resistance becomes so high that there is almost an invisible wall as you near the speed of sound, and when you breach it, it suddenly 'breaks', hence the SONIC BOOM. It's nothing to do with atmospheres.

You also seem to forget that the actual 'rope' taht will connect the elevator to space will be made of diamand "nanorods", the hardest possibly conceivable material imaginable, made of concentrated diamonds. I doubt even a nuke could break it.

You're the guy I hate!! Thanks for reminding me of you.
I remember seeing a thread awhile ago to which you posted,
"If the world was ran by women, we'd be living in cave man ages still."
haha.
Tell that to Hillary Clinton you douchebag.
Where are they going to find the energy crystals to power something like this?
Quote by magnus_maximus
hahahaha

That was like a year and a half ago. Man, you're vengeful.

You also forget the context of that. I was suggesting that without men's natural inquistive, curious and inventive nature, we never would have progressed as much as we have. Not to mention the fact that almost everything is invented by men, even now.

That is irrelivant, however, and has nothing to do with the space elevator.

I love you too

hahaha
Did you know radium was invented by a woman?
Did you know Finland, Switzerland and Argentina have female presidents? Did you know Germany got a female chancellor recently?
And they don't seem to be close to a third world country level at all.
I'm not trying to prove that females are better leaders, don't get me wrong, it's just more evidence to prove you wrong

I love you too, smoochums

ok
*takes nazi fem cap off*
Well space elevators....think about the lift, not the cable. That could most likely be destroyed, or the oxygen tube/vent could be manipulated by terrorists. Even if we cannot destroy the actual material itself, we could do **** to the oxygen levels.
Quote by magnus_maximus

That was a very, very weak argument to use, but I don't want to get warned, so I'll leave it at that.

I suppose the lift itself could be targeted, however I would imagine they'd take that into consideration when designing it.

I think, however, the coolest invention that will be coming in the next 10-15 years will be personal nanofabrication. Taht will be aweeeesome. Like, making ANYTHING YOU WANT at home at the press of the button.

Blah how is it weak?
Obviously if you deter someone of natural rights, they can't do much about it. Popular thought and stereotypes play a role too.
Think about the weakest member on the basketball team. How's he gonna get any better without any experience?
Get a fuckin' room guys, take it to your profile. TS, I especially like how you're spamming up your own thread.

Oh, disregard, sorry. I wrote my comment and then went for a dump, and when I got back, just posted my comment without refreshing. Should've looked

My Bad
Quote by Z_cup_boy
hahaha
Did you know radium was invented by a woman?

Radium wasn't invented, it was discovered. Also, she died because of her work with radioactive materials.

Quote by Z_cup_boy

Did you know Finland, Switzerland and Argentina have female presidents? Did you know Germany got a female chancellor recently?

So did Britain. Ask us how that went sometime.

Quote by Z_cup_boy

ok
*takes nazi fem cap off*
Well space elevators....think about the lift, not the cable. That could most likely be destroyed, or the oxygen tube/vent could be manipulated by terrorists. Even if we cannot destroy the actual material itself, we could do **** to the oxygen levels.

Yeah, those pesky terrorists. I mean, just look at how often the 'manipulate oxygen tubes' on current space and aeronautical endeavors.

The real advantage in a space elevator lies not in putting people in space, but rather in removing the risky and expensive task of escaping orbit. Ever wondered why we don't just blast nuclear waste off into space? Rockets blow up, and it's very, very expensive and who wants to spend millions of dollars on sending waste into space, only for it to blow up in the atmosphere scattering nuclear waste all over the earth?

Well a space elevator would remove that risk, and greatly reduce costs. Once the waste is in space, it would be easy to send it on it's way into the vast reaches of the unknown, effectively making nuclear power 'green', as there is no harmful waste to deal with.

On a tangent, albeit a related one, I believe that we should be gunning forward with nuclear power, as by the time nuclear waste is a significant problem we will have either developed a space elevator or some other method for neutering the radioactive by products.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by darthteet
Radium wasn't invented, it was discovered. Also, she died because of her work with radioactive materials.

So did Britain. Ask us how that went sometime.

Yeah, those pesky terrorists. I mean, just look at how often the 'manipulate oxygen tubes' on current space and aeronautical endeavors.

The real advantage in a space elevator lies not in putting people in space, but rather in removing the risky and expensive task of escaping orbit. Ever wondered why we don't just blast nuclear waste off into space? Rockets blow up, and it's very, very expensive and who wants to spend millions of dollars on sending waste into space, only for it to blow up in the atmosphere scattering nuclear waste all over the earth?

Well a space elevator would remove that risk, and greatly reduce costs. Once the waste is in space, it would be easy to send it on it's way into the vast reaches of the unknown, effectively making nuclear power 'green', as there is no harmful waste to deal with.

On a tangent, albeit a related one, I believe that we should be gunning forward with nuclear power, as by the time nuclear waste is a significant problem we will have either developed a space elevator or some other method for neutering the radioactive by products.

I am now ready to have your children.
i have carbon nano tubes.

it sounds a bit far fetched.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
You know this will never work.

When people leave the atmosphere, the force it takes to propel them out into space knocks them unconscious normally. Astronauts are always unconscious right when they leave the atmosphere, they bounce back after they get into space though.
Megalolz at people taking a hypothetical idea so literally, and even then failing miserably by attempting to sound like they actually know something on the subject of space elevators.

I mean fuck. It's a space elevator.

An elevator. To space.

Come on.

THE PIT: SPACE ELEVATOR EXPERTS.
Quote by Vermintide
Megalolz at people taking a hypothetical idea so literally, and even then failing miserably by attempting to sound like they actually know something on the subject of space elevators.

I mean fuck. It's a space elevator.

An elevator. To space.

Come on.

Yeah. This idea is even worse than that stairway to heaven.
Quote by Jehuty

Well it looked good on paper!!
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Jehuty

Kind sir, do not bring religion to the table. We are discussing SCIENCE
Quote by Jbar
You know this will never work.

When people leave the atmosphere, the force it takes to propel them out into space knocks them unconscious normally. Astronauts are always unconscious right when they leave the atmosphere, they bounce back after they get into space though.

that's because of the speed they need to reach to escape the atmosphere.

That speed/acceleration isn't needed.

theoretically you could take as long as you needed to get up there since the propulsion is provided by friction not by thrust.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
So what would you do once you get to the top of this elevator? As far as I can tell you'd have to go right back down unless they put a building on top of it.
667 The neighbor of the beast

Yamaha APX-8S
Quote by Jehuty
Darling, even you and I look good on paper.

What kind of paper?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████