Page 1 of 2
I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. Well, I was playing one of my friends guitars today, and my friend's brother came into the room and asked to see the guitar. So, we handed it to him expecting him to play it, regularly. While he was playing a certain song, he needed to drop the note, similar to what a whammy bar would do, but the guitar has no whammy bar. He did something to drop the note I have never heard of, he strummed a note, pushed his hand in on the top of the body of the guitar, and pushed on the headstock as I believe twisted a little. Yea, it dropped the note, but everyone in the room was question how bad that sounds to do to a guitar, and he kept insisting that it didn't harm it. Has anyone heard of this ridiculous method? It sounds like it could horribly screw up a guitar.
Last edited by Dragonblood21 at Jun 14, 2008,
Billy Sheehan anyone?

If you do it on occasion it doesn't hurt the guitar, but frequent use can warp the neck...
sure. if you have a good solid neck like an old Fender you can do this. it's probably not the best thing for your guitar but i've never had any problems.
it works. its called a neck bend,

yes it can **** up your guitar...

but you can also get a whammy effect by pushing on the strings past the nut too... sure he wasnt doing that?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
people used to do that in the days before whammy bars, that along with, bending the string at the tuners.

Im pretty sure its not good for your guitar.
Depends how often you do it, what the neck is made of, and how low you drop the note, I would assume that using neck bending to drop as far as a whammy might, that itcould screw up your guitar, but if its just like a 1/4 of a step or so, it should be fine. Really it dependws on the quality of your neck. I definitly wouldn't do this to anyone's guitar besides my own.
I've definitely heard of it, seen it done, and it doesn't seem to negatively affect the guitar as long as it's done lightly. that being said, i would never do it to someone else's guitar. that's just asking for trouble
It definitely isn't a very advised idea,but it isn't unheard of. Randy Rhoads used that method of dropping notes while recording "Crazy Train." I try not to do it, because I am horribly overprotective of my guitars, but I suppose if you had a very malleable wood it wouldn't be THAT bad as long as you kept it too a light bend.
Dart of the Dragoons Pm big_deth to join
I hate to say it, but that's actually a standard technique used mainly by jazz / classical guitarists who don't have whammy bars on their guitars. Its far more subtle for sure, but you'd be a retard to try and go for the same degree of *ahem* "droppage" as you would a whammy bar, but its actually pretty standard fare.

Really, to say that its the stupidest way to drop a note is kinda like saying that the stupidest way to vibrato is to bend the note horizontally very quickly, as opposed to small vertical movement. Yeah it sounds retarded, but people do it and it can still work.
Funky c, Funky do
I tried it a few times, it's definitely not close to the effect of a whammy bar, but has a more subtle sound to it. I also bend the string behind the nut.
Yeah, I have heard of it, ive done it a few times, it wont wreck it unless you have superhuman strength and/or have repeatedly done it.
seen it many times by guy's with guitar contracts........concert's and video's..........i wouldn't do it to my guitar's. better safe than sorry!
I saw Eddy Van Halen bend a guitar neck enough to create a motorcycle noise from the guitar, but then again he is Eddie Van Halen.
Thanks for all the responses, I didn't know it was an actual technique. Unfortunately, we just decided to take a closer look at the guitar for any problems or things the way they shouldn't be. It looks like the bridge nuts are bent downward (towards the pick ups) and the very top of the neck is sticking out of the guitar. It looks like the guitar didn't handle to well, or he did it way too hard... well, it looks like he is going to have to pay for it.
Oh, and for another example, in The Blues Brothers 2000, when playing Ghost Riders in the Sky, Steve Cropper bends his Tele's neck.
I know Pete Townshend used to/still does use that technique a fair bit...
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Yeah, some people do it. I find most of the people who do are not really guitar players and don't seem to understand that guitars are expensive and that doing something so stupid could cause irrevocable harm. I wouldn't recommend doing it, and I wouldn't allow anyone to do it to my guitar.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Dragonblood21
Thanks for all the responses, I didn't know it was an actual technique. Unfortunately, we just decided to take a closer look at the guitar for any problems or things the way they shouldn't be. It looks like the bridge nuts are bent downward (towards the pick ups) and the very top of the neck is sticking out of the guitar. It looks like the guitar didn't handle to well, or he did it way too hard... well, it looks like he is going to have to pay for it.

wow got a picture? maybe we can help fix your guitar. not sure which nuts or what you mean about the neck sticking out.

anyway if you need help post a picture.

in addition, it's especially bad to do neck bends in hot weather. just adding to the thread a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Dragonblood21
I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. Well, I was playing one of my friends guitars today, and my friends idiot brother came into the room and asked to see the guitar. So, we handed it to him expecting him to play it, regularly. While he was playing a certain song, he needed to drop the note, similar to what a whammy bar would do, but the guitar has no whammy bar. He did something to drop the note I have never heard of, he strummed a note, pushed his hand in on the top of the body of the guitar, and pushed on the headstock as I believe twisted a little. Yea, it dropped the note, but everyone in the room was question how bad that sounds to do to a guitar, and he kept insisting that it didn't harm it. Has anyone heard of this ridiculous method? It sounds like it could horribly screw up a guitar.

On my old guitar I used to do that...It doesn't hurt it.
Quote by jj1565
wow got a picture? maybe we can help fix your guitar. not sure which nuts or what you mean about the neck sticking out.

anyway if you need help post a picture.

in addition, it's especially bad to do neck bends in hot weather. just adding to the thread a little.

Sorry for the kind of long response. No, I don't have a picture =(. The guitar is a BC Rich warlock though, and the neck is sticking upwards where it is glued to the body. It looks like the glue was dislodged. I first noticed the bridge was bent forward and tried to look at what part of the bridge exactly is bent. So I destrung the guitar and took off the bridge and noticed that the socket the bolts that hold the bridge on the guitar are bent. Which almost doesn't seem possible, considering the bolt sockets (sorry, I don't know what else to call them) are in the wood of the guitar, and it didn't make sense for them to be bent, unless the wood is warped. At that point I also noticed the neck sticking out of the body of the guitar, like most of the glue was dislodged. Which makes sense, because twisting the neck definitely sounds like it could mess up that joint, and reason I didn't noticed it before was because the pressure of the strings was probably holding it there even without the glue. If anyone can help me with fixing this, or maybe even give me an estimate on how much it would cost to bring it to a shop, please do.
yeah, ok, in warm weather, it's pretty bad to press on the neck because the glue is weaker.

when you press, you might push off the neck. (even if just a little)

sounds like that's happened.

in addition, the hardtail bridge seems to have been pushed out of the guitar in some way.

in both cases, you'll need glue and wood to set the neck and bridge back into the body.

how much did you buy the guitar for?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
yeah, ok, in warm weather, it's pretty bad to press on the neck because the glue is weaker.

when you press, you might push off the neck. (even if just a little)

sounds like that's happened.

in addition, the hardtail bridge seems to have been pushed out of the guitar in some way.

in both cases, you'll need glue and wood to set the neck and bridge back into the body.

how much did you buy the guitar for?

Yea, the room we were staying in is rather warm, and it's been very hot outside as well for about a week now.

I did not personally buy the guitar, it's one of my friends but I am checking out how to fix it for her. So I don't know the price.

Is setting the neck and bridge back into place a difficult process? I've never done body work on a guitar.

(edited for a small typo)
I would never do this to a guitar, period.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
depending on how warped it all got, the bridge might not be too bad.

for example, a metal housing piece, where the bridge sits into, if that is pushed out, you might be able to reglue and tap back in.

as for the neck. if it's a set neck, i would suggest taking it in.

i wouldnt be able to suggest the strongest method without looking at the neck.

i asked about price, because some shops charge a lot for neck work.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Wulver
I know Pete Townshend used to/still does use that technique a fair bit...

Yeah, but he also SMASHES guitars rather frequently.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Dragonblood21
Sorry for the kind of long response. No, I don't have a picture =(. The guitar is a BC Rich warlock though, and the neck is sticking upwards where it is glued to the body. It looks like the glue was dislodged. I first noticed the bridge was bent forward and tried to look at what part of the bridge exactly is bent. So I destrung the guitar and took off the bridge and noticed that the socket the bolts that hold the bridge on the guitar are bent. Which almost doesn't seem possible, considering the bolt sockets (sorry, I don't know what else to call them) are in the wood of the guitar, and it didn't make sense for them to be bent, unless the wood is warped. At that point I also noticed the neck sticking out of the body of the guitar, like most of the glue was dislodged. Which makes sense, because twisting the neck definitely sounds like it could mess up that joint, and reason I didn't noticed it before was because the pressure of the strings was probably holding it there even without the glue. If anyone can help me with fixing this, or maybe even give me an estimate on how much it would cost to bring it to a shop, please do.

BC rich's warlocks are either A. bolt on or B. neck-through.
You described a set neck. and he probably just moved the screws lose a bit, tighten the neck bolt and you're dandy.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
in the band i was in the lead guitar player did it all the time on a mim tele. w/ bolt on neck. it didnt hurt the guitar at all and it looked cool
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by jj1565
depending on how warped it all got, the bridge might not be too bad.

for example, a metal housing piece, where the bridge sits into, if that is pushed out, you might be able to reglue and tap back in.

as for the neck. if it's a set neck, i would suggest taking it in.

i wouldnt be able to suggest the strongest method without looking at the neck.

i asked about price, because some shops charge a lot for neck work.

It looks like the neck isn't warped at all, which is good news.

The metal housing piece, as you said where the bridge sets into, isn't exactly pushed out, it's actually bent forward. It's not sticking out all that much, just bent.

Understandable. A quick question though. What would be the safest method to remove a neck, reglue it, and place it back on?

I will surely ask for the price before giving it to them. And thank you for all your help
i tried it once and never tried it again. i felt like i was going to break the guitar.
Quote by Dragonblood21
It looks like the neck isn't warped at all, which is good news.

The metal housing piece, as you said where the bridge sets into, isn't exactly pushed out, it's actually bent forward. It's not sticking out all that much, just bent.

Understandable. A quick question though. What would be the safest method to remove a neck, reglue it, and place it back on?

I will surely ask for the price before giving it to them. And thank you for all your help

i havent seen it, and this is just speculating but,
if it's a less than intermediate priced guitar, they might offer some sort of heat clamp option, which would be cheaper than resetting the whole thing.

i dont like guessing prices, but could be like a hundred bucks?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i havent seen it, and this is just speculating but,
if it's a less than intermediate priced guitar, they might offer some sort of heat clamp option, which would be cheaper than resetting the whole thing.

i dont like guessing prices, but could be like a hundred bucks?

I managed to get a picture of the bridge, turns out my friends computer I am using.... has a camera on it... -_-

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk180/Dragonflame425/Photo6.jpg

I tried to get a picture of the metal housing piece, and how it was bent, but it's too hard to take a picture of, the glare was really killing the shot.
God, i'm sorry but i would kill that kid.

anyway, ask about cheap heat and clamp, neck set methods offered by local tech shops.

the bent housing can probably, be straightened and left as is, as long as it's not cracked.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I think it is really only "life threatening" to the guitar if it has a set neck.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Yeah, neck bends.
Not worth it really.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by jj1565
God, i'm sorry but i would kill that kid.

anyway, ask about cheap heat and clamp, neck set methods offered by local tech shops.

the bent housing can probably, be straightened and left as is, as long as it's not cracked.

Oh believe me, the guitar owner does.

Yup, I will definitly ask about heat and clamp.

I don't believe it's cracked, but I'm hoping it can be straightened.

Thanks for all your help, and I gots to go. Bye!
Page 1 of 2