I've been looking at getting some DiMarzio's dropped into my Ibanez RG1570, specifically an Air Norton (N) and Steve's Special (B) and wiring it up like the old JPM Ibanez, which would mean disconnecting the single coil in the middle and installing a 3 way switch.

However, my biggest dilemma is my amp. I have a Line 6 Spider 3 30W and the only channels I find decent are the Clean and the Metal, and the other two I don't use. My biggest issue is that the distorted sound of the amp is not smooth and as a comparatively cheap alternative to buying an expensive tube amp (which I haven't the use for as I wont be gigging and I live in a small house), spending a couple of hundred dollars on pickups. The stock Ibanez pickups to me have little sustain both in the bridge and neck and are just a bit weak. I know everyone says your amp is the problem, but seriously check this video out (Evo in bridge through a Spider 2)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZLo1AQF8kzw

That sweep lick sounds pretty good to me. So if I go ahead with the pickup swap, I have definitely decided on an Air Norton in the neck, but in the bridge I was stuck between a Steve's Special (which I know has a mid scoop), a D-Sonic or an EVO.

So any discussion or input on what I should do would be appreciated.
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Jun 14, 2008,
I have a Steves Special and the Air Norton on my RG1570, same as you.

But ill be the first to say, get a new amp, new pickups will not make an amp sound better, your amp gives you your general "sound" and better pickups just bring out different tonal characteristics.

For example, the Steves Special takes the tone of my amp, cuts the mid a tiny bit, and overdrives the amp, but not so much that i cant get any clean sounds.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
yes get a epi valve jr or something or a roland cube!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Epi VJ or Peavey VK royal 8. good, cheap, not overly loud, tube amps. then get pups to "tweak" ur sound.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking