If you wanted to play solo guitar on a street corner to earn some extra funds, and you had backing tracks and everything, what kind of equipment would you need?

I'm not familiar with fancy amps and everything - are there amps that you can attach an iPod or cd player to for your backing tracks along with your regular guitar input?

Or do you need an amp for your backing tracks and an amp for your guitar?

Do you need a mixer? Is this where a PA system comes in?

(And yes, this is assuming you have access to a power supply via extension cord).

Thanks!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Roland Cube Street will do the job fine
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Pignose HOG 30 is also worth a look.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Traynor TVM10 seems to be very common in Canada.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
just to add, yes, just look for an amp with an additional line in. like for CD input.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by pepsi1187
you need a license first of all..
You live in Hawaii? I don't think all those street performers on Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki have licenses....
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by jj1565
just to add, yes, just look for an amp with an additional line in. like for CD input.
Thanks, but how do you adjust the output of the backing tracks if you do it this way? Seems like you can't...so if the normal level of the backing tracks is low, you may not be able to hear them at all as your guitar output would drown them out.
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
with most items lined into an amp in this way, the volume is controlled by the cd or mp3 player, not by the amp itself.

i can play along with my drum machine. on a $125 fender 25r. the level is fine for busking.

not sure how loud you would need to be, so i suggest you try it out in a store.

not like you can plug a mixer into a street lamp anyway.

keep it simple. a portable PA system, or a battery operated roland or simlilar
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Roland street cube. Its built for what you want.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Find a digital to analog mono cable converter.
Find a $15 used SS practice amp, make sure you can use it before buying, and crank it on full with the lowest gain you can get enough volume on with your ipod and converter. If it's tolerable, buy.
Make sure your guitar amp is louder than the backing(obviously) and mess with you back-up EQ ALOT.
Total cost:
$20.

Doesn't have to be complicated. I've done this. You get more than enough compliments on guitar, and nobody's listening close to the drums when there's not a drummer nor drumset in sight.

If you don't have a fair volume, good tone practice amp for your guitar for this yet, go with either pignose, epi valve junior, or black heart, gibson and fender make some little 5W class A goodies, but they're about 2-3x as much as the other options.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Wait, so there is AC power at the place you are playing? If so, then a Valve Junior combo will do you.

Even if there is, I would say a Vox DA5. It can run on AC or 6 C batteries and has a aux in and mic in, if you need it. Best tone you can get out of a 5 watt SS amp with a 6.5 inch speaker. Also built in effects.
Quote by imgooley
Best tone you can get out of a 5 watt SS amp with a 6.5 inch speaker. Also built in effects.

/facepalm

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
I really appreciate all the feedback. You have all given me some terrific advice and I really appreciate it.

I have a Vox AD30VT already; may go with the Traynor or Crate or Pignose for the backing tracks.

Just in case the location ends up not having AC power, are there any portable power sources you guys can recommend?

Thanks again!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Iansmitchell
/facepalm

And why is that? It IS the best tone you can get from a SS 5 watt amp. The Cube doesn't have as good tone, and the microspider sucks just as much as the regular spider. I haven't tried the pignose, so I can't comment on that. Name a SS 5 watt amp that has better tone than the DA5.
Quote by steven seagull
Roland Cube Street will do the job fine

+2. First thing that came to mind.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Hawaiiguy
I really appreciate all the feedback. You have all given me some terrific advice and I really appreciate it.

I have a Vox AD30VT already; may go with the Traynor or Crate or Pignose for the backing tracks.

Just in case the location ends up not having AC power, are there any portable power sources you guys can recommend?

Thanks again!
Sorry if this was confusing. I meant portable power supplies for my Vox AD30VT. Of course the backing track amps would be one of the battery-powered portable ones that have been recommended on this thread.

Thanks!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Hawaiiguy
Sorry if this was confusing. I meant portable power supplies for my Vox AD30VT. Of course the backing track amps would be one of the battery-powered portable ones that have been recommended on this thread.

Thanks!

Just get the cube street - it does both jobs and runs off batteries.

http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/en/CUBE_Street/index.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hi Mate, what i have used in the past was a ashton bsk158 and the internal battery is crap but what i did was pull that battery out and extend onto leads (go to local supercheap store and buy black and red cable) and add aligator clips and use a bigger battery externally and it works fine plus you have 2 channels and you can run an ipod into the mic input. So my set up with this was the ashton bsk, zoom multieffects and boss loopstation...this is how i ran it .... guitar (strat) to zoom multi effects, then loopstation (RC20) and then amp and then the good thing is if you dont have backing tracks the zoom pedal (G2 or G2.1u which has a usb link and wah pedal) has and inbuilt drummer (you can alter patterns and tempos) and it can be activated by a separate pedal which is great for gettting the crowds going if you core crowd is late nights near the pubs...also the good thing abou the looper is it has a cd input and mic input as well and when i loop i can loop drums as well but then all you need to do then is turn your unrecorded drums off...and let the looped chords and drum run off and then start adding lead/effects until your heart is content! i still use me G2 but i use the mic option on me looper to run it for drums and this Zoom pedal is great as a drum machinebecause of the activating the drums via footpedal and all others i have seen that have this function you need to hit it with your finger which is a pain esp. live busking...

This system has worked for me for many years and i have made thousands of dollars from it so its worth a look...also the bonus of this is that everything i mentioned is battery operated and works fine!

but i have saved my pennies from busking and check myspace out and you will see my current setup which consists of a custom busking trolley, vox amp (the same as the one you have, and inverter (ensure it is a puresinewave and it will cost you more but its worth it because you will have no hum through your battery operated system!), Boss ME 50 and Loopstation and this is the bee's knees of busking rigs as far as I am concerned ( myspace.com/shaggz1). Also check out me guitars and I have bought over years through busking income and I have some good ones there!

good luck!

cheers
Shaggs!
Quote by shaggz
Hi Mate, what i have used in the past was a ashton bsk158 and the internal battery is crap but what i did was pull that battery out and extend onto leads (go to local supercheap store and buy black and red cable) and add aligator clips and use a bigger battery externally and it works fine plus you have 2 channels and you can run an ipod into the mic input. So my set up with this was the ashton bsk, zoom multieffects and boss loopstation...this is how i ran it .... guitar (strat) to zoom multi effects, then loopstation (RC20) and then amp and then the good thing is if you dont have backing tracks the zoom pedal (G2 or G2.1u which has a usb link and wah pedal) has and inbuilt drummer (you can alter patterns and tempos) and it can be activated by a separate pedal which is great for gettting the crowds going if you core crowd is late nights near the pubs...also the good thing abou the looper is it has a cd input and mic input as well and when i loop i can loop drums as well but then all you need to do then is turn your unrecorded drums off...and let the looped chords and drum run off and then start adding lead/effects until your heart is content! i still use me G2 but i use the mic option on me looper to run it for drums and this Zoom pedal is great as a drum machinebecause of the activating the drums via footpedal and all others i have seen that have this function you need to hit it with your finger which is a pain esp. live busking...

This system has worked for me for many years and i have made thousands of dollars from it so its worth a look...also the bonus of this is that everything i mentioned is battery operated and works fine!

but i have saved my pennies from busking and check myspace out and you will see my current setup which consists of a custom busking trolley, vox amp (the same as the one you have, and inverter (ensure it is a puresinewave and it will cost you more but its worth it because you will have no hum through your battery operated system!), Boss ME 50 and Loopstation and this is the bee's knees of busking rigs as far as I am concerned ( myspace.com/shaggz1). Also check out me guitars and I have bought over years through busking income and I have some good ones there!

good luck!

cheers
Shaggs!

Aloha, Shaggs!!

Wow, I really appreciate your advice! Sounds a bit too much for me at the moment - I think I'll be looking at your set up if and when I ever get as good and therefore as much coin to invest in a custom busking trolley like yours! I did check out your myspace page - it seems that haters who want to use your equipment, many of them drunk or on drugs, are a major occupational hazard! Do you have a friend around to help you fend off idiots like that?

If not too much of a bother, I may ask you now and then for some advice.

Again, thanks again for your post! I wish you the best in your continued busking!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by steven seagull
Just get the cube street - it does both jobs and runs off batteries.

http://www.roland.com/PRODUCTS/en/CUBE_Street/index.html

TS listen to this man, he knows his sh*t.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
I just play acoustic when i do that, a lot less of a hassle and you don't have to worry about people jacking your stuff.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
part of using a cheap practice amp is the fact nobody will steal it.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
part of using a cheap practice amp is the fact nobody will steal it.

you'd be surprised, the $10 you could get from pawning it would buy a bum a 5th of cheap whiskey and a pack of smokes, although it's not that big of a loss it's still a major pain in the ass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Hawaiiguy
Aloha, Shaggs!!

Wow, I really appreciate your advice! Sounds a bit too much for me at the moment - I think I'll be looking at your set up if and when I ever get as good and therefore as much coin to invest in a custom busking trolley like yours! I did check out your myspace page - it seems that haters who want to use your equipment, many of them drunk or on drugs, are a major occupational hazard! Do you have a friend around to help you fend off idiots like that?

If not too much of a bother, I may ask you now and then for some advice.

Again, thanks again for your post! I wish you the best in your continued busking!

Hi mate, these haters (clowns) are wanting to showcase there skill and they are opportunists and I say to them "that I came out to busk tonight and you obviously did not so get your own act together and have ago as theres plenty of street corners"! Also they love the sound I get in an outdoor space and I am a sound/tone freak as many guitarists are and i run a totally battery operated rig which gets there attention, i have had police come over and check my rig out and see its not mains powered and probably freaks them out also. Also in the area i busk in there are cameras everywhere and I know plenty of people over the years where i have been busking so help is not far away if i cant deal with the situation help is not far away. And mate any questions you have by all means please ask. my hotmail is shaggs1@hotmail.com

Also mate get out there and have ago (or take some one with you -duo busking and rehearse a little before going maybe just get 5 songs down solidly and then just repeat them as your crowd will be changing all the time) and its pretty nerve racking at first but i believe it builds a better character and you become more emotionally robust (and your live performance/guitar skills become heaps better) and can deal with difficult situation easily and without too much negative emotion. I would also like to compile a busking book one day! And I suppose the context of your busking needs to be taken into account as you may only want to frequent markets on the weekend as theres great money there and just play some eaesy going/flowing acoustic stuff whereas my act is set up as a hard rock/metal busking act and i do late nights on the weekends...all the best infuture!

cheers
shaggs
Last edited by shaggz at Jun 16, 2008,
Hi Shaggs,

In a previous post you mentioned that you have the same amp as I do (Vox AD30VT) and that you are running it via battery.

HOW ARE YOU DOING THAT?!?

I'd like to be able to do the same with my Vox.

Thank you!

H
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Hawaiiguy
Hi Shaggs,

In a previous post you mentioned that you have the same amp as I do (Vox AD30VT) and that you are running it via battery.

HOW ARE YOU DOING THAT?!?

I'd like to be able to do the same with my Vox.

Thank you!

H

Hi Mate what i have done is purchase a 300watt inverter (make sure it is a pure sinwave inverter), that is really important and i will reinforce that it has to be a PURESINEWAVE INVERTER because if you use anything other than that you will have an annoying hum consitently in your amp. You pay a little extra but its worth it in terms of sound quality! And the vox amp is bloody awsome with a great bottom end for busking! I love the tweed setting and then i just run a ME 50 for all me other effects. Also a word of caution and that is when you set your battery up which should be a high CCA rating make sure you have the terminal set up in a way that you dont put the negative on the positive terminal (maybe figure out where your battery is going to be permanently fixed to and cable tie the leads coming out of the inverter to the proper side) I connected it wrongly when i first bought it and blew the fuse which melted and then i had to do some street surgery to repair it which was a whole other story...so the process for runninng the vox amp would be as follows...inverter + & - leads to battery and then simply plug your power lead into the inverter to amp and turn it on and away you go. plus this should last you a good 5 hours on a fully charged car/truck battery fo busking depending on how loud your running it and when you get home simply put it (battery) on a 12 volt charger. Also developing a busking trolley is important and if you want tips let me know as i have used a few good ones that require little money, effort to build but work fine... Cheers hope this helps...shaggs
Last edited by shaggz at Jul 18, 2008,
Quote by Hawaiiguy
You live in Hawaii? I don't think all those street performers on Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki have licenses....

Most bigger cities do require you to have a license to busk... around here at least.
He was just making sure you knew and didn't get fined just in case
Actually i live in hawaii, and u CAN get fined. Just most police dont bother....however....u better be prepared for a decent ticket.
Gear
-Fender American Stratt
-Tube Cricket
-Homemade 20 Watt Tube (pics+clips soon)
-MXR Stereo Chorus
-Holy Grail Reverb

Theres no sensation to compare with this, suspended animation, a state of bliss...
My band goes busking all the time. We take a truck (like a flat bed) and tie everything down in the back. then park somewhere and use an inverter to power everything and just play. It works really well.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by shaggz
Hi Mate what i have done is purchase a 300watt inverter (make sure it is a pure sinwave inverter), that is really important and i will reinforce that it has to be a PURESINEWAVE INVERTER because if you use anything other than that you will have an annoying hum consitently in your amp. You pay a little extra but its worth it in terms of sound quality! And the vox amp is bloody awsome with a great bottom end for busking! I love the tweed setting and then i just run a ME 50 for all me other effects. Also a word of caution and that is when you set your battery up which should be a high CCA rating make sure you have the terminal set up in a way that you dont put the negative on the positive terminal (maybe figure out where your battery is going to be permanently fixed to and cable tie the leads coming out of the inverter to the proper side) I connected it wrongly when i first bought it and blew the fuse which melted and then i had to do some street surgery to repair it which was a whole other story...so the process for runninng the vox amp would be as follows...inverter + & - leads to battery and then simply plug your power lead into the inverter to amp and turn it on and away you go. plus this should last you a good 5 hours on a fully charged car/truck battery fo busking depending on how loud your running it and when you get home simply put it (battery) on a 12 volt charger. Also developing a busking trolley is important and if you want tips let me know as i have used a few good ones that require little money, effort to build but work fine... Cheers hope this helps...shaggs
Shaggs, you're a great resource. Thanks for taking the time to write in such great detail. If I ever get going, I'll have you to thank for much of it!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Fish_er_guy
Actually i live in hawaii, and u CAN get fined. Just most police dont bother....however....u better be prepared for a decent ticket.
Can you be more explicit, maybe add some links, amounts of tickets, etc.?

I've googled and researched this but can't find anything except that a few years ago the City Council tried to make street performing in Waikiki illegal, but that the motion was defeated.

Thanks!
Ibanez S470 (2005 Black)
Washburn D10SCE
Vox AD30VT
Quote by Hawaiiguy
Can you be more explicit, maybe add some links, amounts of tickets, etc.?

I've googled and researched this but can't find anything except that a few years ago the City Council tried to make street performing in Waikiki illegal, but that the motion was defeated.

Thanks!

Hi Hawaiiguy, my experience in Australia is that you can audition if you like but many dont worry about getting licenses...but it helps and depending where you go and who writes the policies you may need to just either rock up and start playing and act as if you didnt know and see how it goes or find their policy for busking and ask other street performers what they have done...wherever you see a street performer is where the money is...but many buskers do get a little territorial (license or not...) of their spot and may tell you very little because they dont what to be crossing your path or competing to get the spot...but if they are reasonable then you may be able to negaotiate a shared aggreement for the spot...

a license allows you to play in a specific place (mall etc) and it would pay to check the council governed areas as many good spots are out of council control... e.g. the mall areas are controlled by council in australia and many better spots may be just accross the road (police ususally controll everywhere else).

Also you could take into consideration what type of music/act you have and the times of the day you would like to play...e.g. i play a loit of rock and metal stuff and stay out until 3-4am in the morning on a fri/sat...whereas others who play the softer stuff may aim for a morning, lunch or evening set near the main shopping mall...also other good places for busking are markets and just find the market manager and most of the time they welcolm street performers as it adds another dimention to their markets. Also busking is risky and this adds to the excitment/journey but I think contextualising your act and knowing where your clientele exist is a great start (e.g. I know one lady who goes out on the similar times i do with recorder in hand and she gets upset because she does not make as much as i do whereas her act may be more suited for a quiet market on the weekend with families etc wondering around...also mate before i go I would like to say I heard a beautiful version of somewhere over the rainbow by IZ (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)...this dude and his singinig/uke playing is really deep and spiritual stuff and may he RIP.

cheers
shaggs