While the cathode follower does improve my tone, I am wondering: would using a higher number guage (smaller) wire matter in an amplifier? I was using 24 guage, while Mark Huss used 18guage for his hook up.

In general, if it matter, what is the best guage for the internal of a tube amp?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
hardly. The only difference higher gauge wire would have is that the thicker wire could carry higher current and has a slightly higher capacitance. It won't make a difference that any regular human could hear. I say this 'cause SUPERMAN can tell the difference! lol. ^.-
Quote by imgod22222
hardly. The only difference higher gauge wire would have is that the thicker wire could carry higher current and has a slightly higher capacitance. It won't make a difference that any regular human could hear. I say this 'cause SUPERMAN can tell the difference! lol. ^.-

Exactly, only Eric Johnson could really hear a difference. In the power stage of your amp it is a better idea to use lower guage wire in your power supply but other than that 20-22 is standard i believe.
It's not the power stage; it's the section before the tone stack... and I guess that means a thicker wire is a good idea.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
It's not the power stage; it's the section before the tone stack... and I guess that means a thicker wire is a good idea.

Yeah i usually use 20-22awg in the amps that i do any work on.
Like somebody else already said, bigger wire isn't really going to change your tone, just make it so that it can handle more current.

If you switched to multi strand wire, THAT would change your tone.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Like somebody else already said, bigger wire isn't really going to change your tone, just make it so that it can handle more current.

The purpose of Cathode Follower is to increase the current, so i think it is important in such case.
Well, thanks for answering the question, now I will have to get some wires then.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
The purpose of Cathode Follower is to increase the current, so i think it is important in such case.
Well, thanks for answering the question, now I will have to get some wires then.
Eh, is the cathode follower not just to help compensate for the high z input of the tonestack in most normal circumstances?

I mean it'll give you an extra soft clipping stage and probably give you more output and gain but, eh it's not just to increase the current?

And I doubt it'd make much difference.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.