2 months ago, I bought an EPIPHONE Les Paul Custom Cherryburst. A couple days ago, I was at my local shop, and they had a 70s or 80s GIBSON Les Paul Custom neck in the "Cheap junk" bin. It just needed to be finished, so I bought it for $35. Today, I thought "Hey, if I somehow got the neck off my Epi, I could finish the GIBSON neck, and put it on!". How exactly would I go about getting the neck off. I know you can inject air to get it off, but this thing is SOLID. Links to a tut plz?
DIO FOREVER
Uhm, if you dont care about the epi neck, take off the frets above the joint and route it out.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
try pust pushing on the neck, near the headstock; it worked for Slash. But watch out so it doesnt hit you in the nuts or something.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I believe that the proper way to do this is with heat. I've never done it before so I can not tell you the exact way to apply the heat.
Usually steam is injected thru the fret board to soften the glue. Its still not easy to to do and the reason for the high cost of this job. And Im pretty sure the epi and gibson neck are different at the heel and may not fit anyways. So you may only succeed in screwing up a new guitar. Way better off to find a gibson guitar that needs a neck probably get one one pretty cheap.
^ the downside is that you may screw up the finish on the guitar... considering you'd have to finish the neck that shouldnt be a big deal, though. disassemble the guitar, see where/how the tenon is set. If it's similar to the gibby neck, steam the epi neck out and see if it fits in the joint (it'll probably be too big, too small or just the wrong damn size). I would then suggest (if need be) to make a block that fits in the existing opening (snugly), laminating it into the body and routing a new neck pocket to accept the tenon of the gibby neck then glue the gibby in place... or maybe you could just glue shims onto the gibby neck... or sand it down to size... it really depends on how different the neck and the pocket are....

if you take everything apart, post pics... i'd be interested to see if they're similar considering epiphone is just a foreign gibson spin-off.

Oh, and good luck with scale length and intonation... gibson scales have varied from year to year despite always being called 24.75"... I don't think they were ever 24.75 - always kinda ballpark numbers...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
If you can pull this off well, you'll have yourself a pretty good fake Les Paul. Are you confident that you can get the set neck joint better than Epiphone originally did though? I'm concerned about you ending up with a lesser product that just looks like a real LP.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
You could build a body for the neck? Would be a nice lil project

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind

This.
Quote by Absent Mind

+1

Quote by jscustomguitars
If that is a Gibson neck you got you'd be mad to put it on an Epiphone body.

+1

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice project there!
As you have all of 35 bucks in the neck you could make a really nice body to fit it. Then you would have 2 guitars not 1 guitar and a neck.
Quote by -MintSauce-

+1

If that is a Gibson neck you got you'd be mad to put it on an Epiphone body.
+1

Sounds like you've got yourself a nice project there!

+1
Dude great idea. What you need to do is get a steam kit from stewmac. Step one would be to sand off all the paint near the neck joint and on the joint until you hit the would. You then will need to drill holes into the fret-board near the neck joint. in the holse inject hot steam to soffen the glue.
^ one of us could build it for you if you're not able to do it...

for a fee
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology