It's been a while, UG.
So here's something new.

Same ol' signal chain.
5150 mkII --> Shure SM57 --> Yamaha UW500 --> Nuendo 3
XLN Audio Addictive Drums (ask me for my preset if you want it)
Bass is guitar through the 5150's clean channel pitchshifted down an octave
Vocals are AKG Perception 200 --> Art Tube MP --> Yamaha UW500 --> Nuendo 3

This one's beaten my personal record for most tracks used on a recording. 46 this time, Mea Culpa was around 36.

Anyway, dunno if we're gonna be using this one yet. I wrote this a while ago and none of us were too pleased with it, but I got some inspiration for lyrics, and I recorded some, and I think it really makes it something quite special, I'm pretty pleased with it, and we'll probably end up using it, but yeah whatever.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=774890&songID=6556567

http://media.putfile.com/This-Tortured-Machine---Tides

Also, some comments on the lyrics would be appreciated, they're all on there.

Crit for Crit of course!

Cheers
Last edited by Dream Pin at Jun 15, 2008,
Error loading songfile. Didn't get to hear it. Make a video of it?
I got some good guitars, yo.
It works now, I was uploading a version without the ****ty room reverb I put on while mastering the first time round.
i want to download!

very nice though man! im definitely impressed. i liked the transition from clean to heavy.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
Hey dude, thanks for criting my stuff. And the reason the recording sounds like **** is cause it was on a headset mic, also the tone sounds like crap because of my old equipment, I have better equipment now and learned to not scoop my settings like I did on that recording anyway, I gotta crit you now.

Intro: I like it, it sets the atmosphere for what becomes a very good death/thrash song. Reminds me a bit of Lamb of God with the chugging/melody riff that runs into the second part. The second part, which I'm assuming is the bridge to the chorus is good too. The Chorus, which I hope i'm correct,lol, is awesome. The melody is simple yet very effective and you play it of quite well. The part after is decent, nothing special, then what I think is the bridge with the clean part isn't all that great, but the distortion part after that is awesome as hell, along with the straight strumming part after that into the chorus really strikes me a:P. The breakdown outro part is pretty generic as with all breakdowns, but it gets the job done for a breakdown, so I like it lol. All in all, I think Tides is a good song that deserves a 9/10. Good job mate, I look forward to criting you more and when I record more stuff I hope you crit me, cya.
Hey man... i'm criticizing this song as I listen just listen my thoughts... i'm not really into the genre, but i'm going to try and look at this open minded.

intro feels like a voyage somewhere setting the mood for something...
intro is a little long, but required, maybe half it?
opening scream should be louder
vocals should be louder
guitar should be lower
feels like a climax should be coming but doesn't
maybe try a different distortion on the guitar? or adjust tone knob
long song! a little repetative
i like the breakdown at 3:30, make it louder
feels like the verses are all the same
maybe a nice screaming guitar solo would break the monotony
5:30 is awkward placement for the breakdown, it feels like the intro again

ok, so now i listened to the whole thing.. my impression is that it is about twice as long as it should be, so it loses the interest of the listener... Its sort of like how freebird is such a long song, people don't listen to it because they know the next 8 minutes of their lives is listening to the same song.. I think you could effectively cut this song in half (provided that the lyrics allow it) and put a bright guitar solo in it, and adjust the tone on the distortion of the rhythm guitar and have something that has a lot of potential... possibly even stand out like a single on an album.. Oh, also, boost the vocals... it'll probably do wonders for it.. I'm not great at recording yet (as you critiqued in my song) (i always knew that tho :] lol) but i have found that you want to have the vocals be about twice as loud as you think they should be, because when most people listen to a song, they listen to the vocals, and on the second or third listen, they will take not of the background music..

thanks for critiquing my song... it was very very helpful.. so helpful in fact that i would really appreciate if you would critique another song of mine that my band wrote 2 days ago.. here's the thread...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884368

also, if you have any other songs, i would be happy to critique them.. thanks man

ROCK ON
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Hey man... i'm criticizing this song as I listen just listen my thoughts... i'm not really into the genre, but i'm going to try and look at this open minded.

intro feels like a voyage somewhere setting the mood for something...
intro is a little long, but required, maybe half it?
opening scream should be louder
vocals should be louder
guitar should be lower
feels like a climax should be coming but doesn't
maybe try a different distortion on the guitar? or adjust tone knob
long song! a little repetative
i like the breakdown at 3:30, make it louder
feels like the verses are all the same
maybe a nice screaming guitar solo would break the monotony
5:30 is awkward placement for the breakdown, it feels like the intro again

ok, so now i listened to the whole thing.. my impression is that it is about twice as long as it should be, so it loses the interest of the listener... Its sort of like how freebird is such a long song, people don't listen to it because they know the next 8 minutes of their lives is listening to the same song.. I think you could effectively cut this song in half (provided that the lyrics allow it) and put a bright guitar solo in it, and adjust the tone on the distortion of the rhythm guitar and have something that has a lot of potential... possibly even stand out like a single on an album.. Oh, also, boost the vocals... it'll probably do wonders for it.. I'm not great at recording yet (as you critiqued in my song) (i always knew that tho :] lol) but i have found that you want to have the vocals be about twice as loud as you think they should be, because when most people listen to a song, they listen to the vocals, and on the second or third listen, they will take not of the background music..

thanks for critiquing my song... it was very very helpful.. so helpful in fact that i would really appreciate if you would critique another song of mine that my band wrote 2 days ago.. here's the thread...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884368

also, if you have any other songs, i would be happy to critique them.. thanks man

ROCK ON

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definately take note.
Yeah, the vocal mix on this one is a toughy. I'm still wrestling with it.
I'm trying not to turn them up too loud, because I'm listening this as a vocalist, so my ears are biased.
Over the couple years I've been recording stuff, I always got taught that you should get your respective instrument to a level where you think it's the right volume, then turn it down by 2db.
I really enjoyed it man. I do feel the mixing is a bit poor as is the overall sound quality.

I can definatly hear the guitar, it just sounds kind of mushy and not really cutting like a 5150. I'm not sure about your recording techniques but I would run 2 tracks, both of them panned hard right and hard left. Change the EQ for each side or use a different guitar for each side, something to give it an expanded tone.

I'm diggin for a video, about 45 minutes long, huge in depth video on good ideas for guitar recording.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I really enjoyed it man. I do feel the mixing is a bit poor as is the overall sound quality.

I can definatly hear the guitar, it just sounds kind of mushy and not really cutting like a 5150. I'm not sure about your recording techniques but I would run 2 tracks, both of them panned hard right and hard left. Change the EQ for each side or use a different guitar for each side, something to give it an expanded tone.

I'm diggin for a video, about 45 minutes long, huge in depth video on good ideas for guitar recording.

Is that the one with the guy that looks and sounds kinda nerdy, talks about gear at first then shows mic'ing techniques? Good video. Ignore everything he says about gear at the beginning, he says a lot of dumb ****, but the mic'ing stuff is really really good. If we're talking about the same guy.
Quote by Say Ocean
Is that the one with the guy that looks and sounds kinda nerdy, talks about gear at first then shows mic'ing techniques? Good video. Ignore everything he says about gear at the beginning, he says a lot of dumb ****, but the mic'ing stuff is really really good. If we're talking about the same guy.

I'm not sure, if you have a link to it I'd give you a huge online hug.

The only dumb thing I thought he said was how he said never us EMG's for recording. I really like the sound a pair of EMG's put out, it's completely different than passives therefore I believe you can't compare the two.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

The guitar WAS double tracked. The mic position I used on this definately lets the amps natural characteristics shine through quite nicely, but yeah, it sounds quite hollow. I'm still battling with the mic position with my 5150, minute adjustments make it go from orgasmic sounding to ear splitting.
Ideally, if my other 57 still worked, I'd mic it dead center, or near it, and cut out everything but the midrange with a parametric EQ and brickwall. I like the kinda slightly hollow percussive sound, but it also needs to be more in your face, I agree.

And Ocean, fair enough, but I'm loving my drum sound at the minute. And since the drums are done with midi and a good VSTi, I don't really have any options when it comes to micing. All I get to mess with micing wise is whether the snare mic is top bottom, or a blend, and same for kick mic, either by the beater or the outer drum skin or whatever.
And yeah, guitar micing could definately use work.
Thanks for the crit.

IrishPJ, this was really my first attempt at writing something a bit longer, a bit more epic, and I agree, the arrangement definately needs work. I'll probably cut it down a fair bit.
Thanks for the crit man
First off, the intro really drew me in. It's kind of mysterious and it leaves you curious as to where the rest of the song is going to go, so good job with that. I don't think its too long either. Riffing was pretty interesting the whole way through, but I didn't like the distorted tone too much, it sounded a little flat to me. The drums and the clean tones were really sounding good though, good job. The vocals also reminded me of the vox on The Black Dahlia Murder's Nocturnal, at some parts your vocals sound almost EXACTLY the same.

Overall I really enjoyed this song, good riffing and it changed around enough to keep me interested. Good work dude, I always love coming into the riffs and recording section of UG because theres so much talent here
im critting as i listen.
the sound quality is really great. although the guitar sounds like its in a tiny box. (maybe thats what your going for). I would double track it, pan the two apart, and EQ them differently in your DAW after the intro. it would make it fuller and heavier. or at least dont have the only guitar panned that hard to one side.
i really like the riffs and stuff. i cant comment on the lyrics because i dont understand them, i never understand them when i listen to metal.it does sound, like someon else said, black dahlia murder. i love the entire song, i think it will benefit greatly from getting some real drums and bass on it, and fixing the guitar track. the performance was pretty much flawless. great job overall.
C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885877

edit/ BTW i really like the breakdown
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Hey thanks for the crit. Really loving the atmospheric intro. Guitar work is superb. Buildup here, then to a nice scream, very cool. I like the way you did that. Guitars sound a little tin-canny, but they also have that little lamb of god twang on the hick bends. This isnt really my genre. But i can really appreciate the guitar work. I like the clean interlude there, nice tone. Recording over all sounds really good, and while i dont usually listen to metal, i like the vocalist. Get yourself a bass man! (even though on our last song i did the octave down guitar aswell =]) Cool build up to the gallop beat. As I said, not really my bag. But i love the upper neck guitar work you do throughout. Nice job
Sick intro. Loving the ambiance and all. When the distortion comes in, it all sounds pretty good. Didn't real like the tone of the guitar though. The screams are pretty good, though I'm really a more of a fan of growls than screams. The mixing is pretty good in general although the guitars could be louder. The riffage and everything is all really good. I loved the acoustic little interlude midway through. I swear if you had better tone on your guitar it would sound so sick. Also, I think if you panned the guitars out more it would sound better. Right now it sounds like too concentrated in the middle. Once again though, the clean guitars are excellent.

Dude, awesome song, the tone was pretty much the only thing wrong with it! Definitely work on it man, it would sound awesommme! Great job!
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?