Page 4 of 5
Whens the 40watt sun album supposed to drop?

I need another fix of crushing depression from these masters and thats the only way i'll be able to get some.
Quote by Kepulix
I stumbled across these videos a while back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VNKo1caSBM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boeHbQG0l4s

Cool to see the style is not at least very far from Warning

pat must be a huge guy, look how small his guitar looks on him.
the first video only made me want to hear from them more.
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

I've never seen footage of Warning live until this very moment.

I still get the shivers.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
words cannot describe how much i love Warning.
everything about them says their music should be boring.
slow, not much happening, repeatative? but the textures and subtle melodies, never mind the haunting vocals, just create an overwhelming musical experience.

when i first listened to watching from a distance, i thought it could have been nice with some clean sections or having the bass featured a little bit more with some runs or solos but the more i listen to it, the more i think it's great left as it is.

theGentleSquid

yeah, its odd, there's not a lot going on, but it creates a feeling and an atmosphere in my opinion.
Though maybe turn the reverb down on the toms a little lol
Watching From a Distance is the perfect doom album, nothing should be changed.

I actually can't listen to it anymore, it makes me too sad.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
when i was living on my own at uni i used to get pretty miserable but my day would pick up once i got doing stuff and i used to stop myself from listening to Watching... because it would just put me in miserable mood for the rest of the day.

theGentleSquid

I treat it like a good bottle of whiskey.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I feel like an utter fool for never checking out this band earlier, but holy fecking shit, I am not ashamed to say that hearing Watching From A Distance had me in tears and made me instantly stop what I was doing and just sit down and listen. God it's been so long since music has hit me this hard, it's fantastic...

How is the other stuff, like the demos?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I still haven't checked out anything except Watching, but my god is incredible. I've heard the demos are good but not quite as emotional.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
the demos have a very different feel altogether, almost the other side of doom metal, - as in Sabbath/Witchfinder General/Reverend Bizarre sort of thing. - maybe I'm drawing the wrong comparisons, but give them a spin, you'll see what I mean there.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I think one of the biggest difference between the demo's and the albums is the drumming. the earlier stuff was essentially keeping time, whereas on Watching, the drums sort of follow the music, giving it a very free feel, and sort of decoration the riffs almost, rather than keeping them in a strict time.
No worries, I know i struggled my self to find it before taking the plunge and buying it.

I have since realised I left the needle drop from both sides in, but its not that big of a problem.
OK, so I listened to Watching from a Distance for the first time this morning. "Holy shit" was basically my response. How have I not heard this before? It can take me a while to get into albums, but this might be the first time where I've liked every single track straight up. This might be a candidate for at least my top 5 albums. I was bawwing a minute after the vocals came in.
Just listened to a couple tracks on their myspace

This is really good stuff.

Vocalist kind of sounds like the guy from interpol.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I'm surprised not to see an update to this thread yet.

40 Watt Sun's debut album is out. For those not in the know, it's a new band featuring Warning's Pat Walker, and is basically a continuation of the Watching From A Distance sound.

It's also really, really good.
I've been listening to Watching From A Distance 4 times this week. I can't remember the last time I've given an album such listen within such short time.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
I think alot of the 40 Watt Sun conversation moved to the Doom thread when the album was released.

Probably end up listening to the Warning and 40 Watt Sun albums back to back soon, getting that craving for them.
Which is the album to get from these guys? Watching from a distance?

I found them in the 'similar artists' attached to Pallbearer's page on metal archives, but now I see that they share members with 40 Watt Sun. Would I be right to assume they sound more like 40 Watt Sun than Pallbearer?
Yes, you would be correct. However, Warning is much better than 40 watt Sun in my opinion, and their sound is a lot more doomy and crushing. Get a hold of Watching From A Distance; I waited a long time to listen to it, and it is by far one of the best albums I've ever listened to.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
It's been far too long since I listened to that album.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I also haven't listened to Warning in a while.

I think Footprints is calling my name.

I'll have a bourbon.
I don't know if I'm more crushed by this album, or the fact my brother stepped on the case and broke the disc and I can't even find a decent download online
My friend's thoughts after I showed him Faces (paraphrased):

Him: I couldn't ever imagine being so broken that I'd make this
Me: What do you mean?
Him: I mean, I've been depressed before. This guy is like... "I remember that time I was depressed. Those were the days."
Quote by RedDeath9
My friend's thoughts after I showed him Faces (paraphrased):

Him: I couldn't ever imagine being so broken that I'd make this
Me: What do you mean?
Him: I mean, I've been depressed before. This guy is like... "I remember that time I was depressed. Those were the days."

Yeah its like he enjoys depression (the frontman)
Listening to Watching From A Distance right now, and it really is quite an album. Beautiful, somber, ugly, just, great in a sad way.
Quote by TakenBr

It's an... interesting place to find yourself in, you end up being depressed for so long it becomes your identity. It's not really an enjoyment as such as finding it impossible to imagine life without it.

Or at least that's my opinion on, and experience of, it; obviously I can't speak directly for Patrick Walker.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TakenBr

Haha, well, my friend meant to imply that compared to what he's feeling now, depression felt GOOD.
Nothing new. SOMETIMES IT MAKES ME FEEL. FEELINGS WHICH I NEVER HOPED TO FIND. SOMETIMES IT MAKES ME FEEL, LIKE I'M LIVING OUT OF TIME.

Album still holds up. Even after the excessive amount of times I have listened to this.