Page 1 of 2
I am like, so to say "at my limit", or so it seems, even though I dont know alot. Everytime I play I just play the same stuff and I never find good enough songs to learn ect. Like it's kind of boring. I mean everything i try to learn is way too tough and I never stick to it, i'll just wander off and learn a funn riff and be done. What do you guys suggest? maybe a new technique? idk, i know there's alot more to playing guitar, but I just feel like I cant find it.
Yes my name is Tom Petty.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
(crappy)RED Marshall Mg100hdfx Halfstack
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
thats exactly the same spot that im in

but at least you have 3 guitars and a few effect pedals
Quote by Dirge Humani
Make your own stuff?

I try, but I have like no inspiration, and it ends up in a disater. lol

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Take a random song in your playlist and learn it.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by Stratmaster458
practice more dude scales modes

i know quite a few. But it's hard for me to put them together aqnd make solo's and riffs.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Find new music to listen to.

As strange as it sounds I've been constantly in that position yet I still am much better now than I was a couple years ago. (teaching myself btw)

You will improve, just slowly enough that you probly wont notice if you're not practice specific things to get better.
that happened to me and its been that way for a while so i got a book of chords and scales and started making my own songs, and i watched some youtube videos explaining tapping and nubbing so i learned a bit on that :/ its just something fun to play around with i suppose
I breathe air.
Try playing in lots of different tunings aswell and try find some one that plays drums or guitar etc and have a jam with them. Youll be surprised what you can come up with
Lol, just keep playing, I was in that situation for ages, I'm only just getting beyond it now. I just played the same stuff until I got really good, and managed to play harder, faster stuff
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Go learn Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. Why? I said so.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
I would just take time to listen to various types of music that you would never even listen to. Listen to changes, time, tempo, scales, etc. I took a Music History Appreciation class and they had us listen to "classical" music, so to speak, and if you listen to a couple songs from each era of those time periods, you'll pick things up and incorporate some of that into your playing. That class actually helped me appreciate just about any type of music. Bach, Beethoven, Stravinsky, Gershwin, and Haydn are some composers to look into.
Learn Jazz.

Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Quote by GuitarHero0715
Go buy GTA IV

have it.beat it.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Whenever I've plateaued, I take inspiration from stuff I wouldn't normally listen to or play, or take something not guitar or bass based, and transpose it onto the guitar or bass. Try it with some piano stuff. Or take a pop song and rearrange it into another genre.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Whenever I've plateaued, I take inspiration from stuff I wouldn't normally listen to or play, or take something not guitar or bass based, and transpose it onto the guitar or bass. Try it with some piano stuff. Or take a pop song and rearrange it into another genre.

uhhhh.. i cant do that!

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And THERE'S your problem. The "I can't do that" attitude.

but, i dont even know how

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Take something you know is ridiculously far above your skill level and learn it. It takes a really long time but when (if you have the determination) you do get it it is like the best feeling in the world + you have the technique to learn a whole bunch of other things.
Quote by GerGuam
Take something you know is ridiculously far above your skill level and learn it. It takes a really long time but when (if you have the determination) you do get it it is like the best feeling in the world + you have the technique to learn a whole bunch of other things.

like what?

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
When lacking inspiration, I try and learn a song that's not meant for guitar exactly.

Sometimes I'll take a song from a riff I enjoy and play with it, try to change it around and my own riffs to it. Change the effects, if you sing too, try to sing it differently as well.

Get into a new band that you've always meant to but never really had the time or attention span to.

YouTube some guitar videos of kids that are so much better than you, and you'll be inspired to take action and further your knowledge and technique.

I don't know how well this will do you, but when I was younger I was taking a few spanish classes, but found it difficult and therefore gave up. A year later I tried taking a Russian class, and suddenly, I was catching on to spanish a lot easier when I looked over it again. So maybe try playing with a new instrument? Go to guitar center and fiddle with some other instruments.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by tommyp484
like what?

Well it would have to be a song you really want to learn, not something a random person on the internet chooses. It has to be good enough to keep you determined to learn, try the hardest song by your favorite band or something.
Heaven on Their Minds from 'Jesus Christ Superstar' by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Enjoy.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by GerGuam
Well it would have to be a song you really want to learn, not something a random person on the internet chooses. It has to be good enough to keep you determined to learn, try the hardest song by your favorite band or something.

oh my god. something from protest the hero. It's take forever. and i'm sure i'd be sick of it within a week.

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Quote by benjy118
Learn Jazz.

+1
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
ok, learn like 2 songs by Coheed and Cambria. Then come back to trying to write your own stuff. It helped me
Quote by tommyp484
oh my god. something from protest the hero. It's take forever. and i'm sure i'd be sick of it within a week.

If you just aren't willing to put in any effort then nobody can help you.
Try and tab out a song. Play some jazz (lol jazzy jeff). Try Drifting by Andy Mckee, there's song strange techniques in there including tapping/fingerpicking combinations. Guitars Suck by Bumblefoot is also strange. Play some bass or a whole different instrument like trumpet. Prog is great for renewing your thought process on the guitar. Learn different scales. Try intervals you haven't really played before. Make your own song. Listen to different artists/bands/genres. When you play something meant for a different instrument (like piano or even vocals) it gives you a different point of view on music. Like many people said before, study music theory. Good luck.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by tommyp484

You don't seem to be willing to put any effort or time into it. That's your problem. Fix it and come back.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jun 15, 2008,
well i just got like 2 seconds into heritics and killers, but the sweeps are difficult.

E S S S S S S S S S S S S E
------------15-18-15--------------------------|
---------16----------16------------------------|
------15----------------15-14-----------------|
--12--------------------------15-12-----------|
--12--------------------------------13-12-----|
--12--------------------------------------15---|

D#||--------------------13-17-13----------|
A#||-----------------15-----------15-------|
F#||--------------14-----------------14----|
C#||------------------------------------15--|
G#||-----------------------------------------|
C#||-----------------------------------------|

any way i should practice this? cause it's killing me

GEAR:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean Razorback D
Find new bands that have killer guitar parts and...learn it, i mean thats what i do. There so many bands you would like that you don't even know.
Page 1 of 2