Hey, I was wondering a few things. Does cleaning the fretboard make it sound better or benifit me in any way? Is it ok to clean it with just a rag and water? and is it fine to take all of the strings off at once to clean it? Thanks
dont use water it could warp the wood or rot it

i use either lemon oil or something like that and just use your fingers or a file to get the string residue. try to use somethign glossy cause it will perserve the wood and make the neck a little faster
Put lemon oil on an old rag and wipe rub it in to the fingerboard with some strength and then dry the fingerboard off every few frets. Don't do this for maple fingerboards.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
i use pledge or behold or whatever its called... doesnt hurt it at all but i dont think i would use water... not too sure
Quote by LedFloyd77
i use pledge or behold or whatever its called... doesnt hurt it at all but i dont think i would use water... not too sure

so pledge will work? and can you get it on the frets or what?
Just swing by any music store and get some fretboard cleaner, then you don't have to worry about any damage.
Quote by venom0014
so pledge will work? and can you get it on the frets or what?

ya man i just spray a little on the fret board and let it sit for a minute or two so it dissolves into the dirt or what ever is on there and wipe it clean... and people might say but i spray it on the body of my guitar and it leaves it with a nice 'glossy clean' look like i just bought it... gluck
Pledge is great, you can use it on both the body, fretboard, and frets. I'm guessing an official fretboard cleaner would be better though.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Quote by LedFloyd77
ya man i just spray a little on the fret board and let it sit for a minute or two so it dissolves into the dirt or what ever is on there and wipe it clean... and people might say but i spray it on the body of my guitar and it leaves it with a nice 'glossy clean' look like i just bought it... gluck

sweet. i just bought new strings today so i might as well clean the fretboard while im there. thanks
I suggest just going and picking up some fretboard cleaner it would be better
Quote by Jayok
I suggest just going and picking up some fretboard cleaner it would be better

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i will go on record as suggesting to NOT use Pledge due to chemicals

too late
dunlop 65 super lemon oil.
take off all your strings, apply lemon oil, remove excess with rag.

first, this will make your fretboard less dry and prevent cracking.
second, i looks a hell of a lot better and cleaner afterwards.
third, water is the worst thing you can do to it. it will soak up the water and just start flaking off. (i've done this on my acoustic stupid me) Oh YEAH, dont do it on maple, itll **** it up.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack