Yep, I scalloped the 12-22 frets on my strat copy (not bad at all) and it feels AMAZING! The vibrato/bending is incredible, and the light touch makes shredding feel effortless .

I might scallop my Godin Freeway Floyd sometime, but I wanna get used to it with my SSS strat first.

My camera's not working atm, pics tomorrow hopefully!
Quote by Invader Jim
I've always wanted to do this, but am too scared. Is it difficult?

No, not really - it's time consuming though!

Just get a round file (that fits in your top fret) and and file away! To finish each fret I did (12-22), I just used 120 grit sandpaper, and then 200. It looks awesome, feels incredible, and I so far, have no problems adapting - seeing as I never pushed down hard on reg. frets anyways .

I used this as a reference, except one thing - the duct tape just fucks with you when your filing. If you can be careful, it's easy to not scratch up the frets themselves (without the tape).

Good luck, and you won't regret it.

(my Godin is nex! )
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by Invader Jim
I've always wanted to do this, but am too scared. Is it difficult?

Ok, i cant believe im doing this, but i cant resist....

Thats what she said.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by Invader Jim
Can I use a half-round rasp then sand it?

Umm..it could I guess, but be careful.... Also, are you sure if fits snugly in the top fret?

If it's a 'yes', then you shouldn't have any problems .
Quote by DiMeTiMe

Nice attempt...(?)

Thank you, it means so much to me.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I scalloped my frets 15-end on my project guitar. It is good to hear that some one likes the scallop and that I didnt waste my time and ruin the fret board. I used a little round file, just a bit bigger then a pencil, I believe it is used to sharpen chain saw blades. I tried using a half round at first, but thought it was to big and akward. You could always wrap some 60 grit around your pencil and rub away.
Pics!

I scalloped 16-22 on my yamaha pacifica. I did it out of boredom, and it turned out really well
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by LP Addict
i scallop my frets with a flamethrower.

get pics dude, you go shallow or deep?

lol

Ya, I know..pics coming soon!!

I scalloped 'em pretty deep, about 1/2 way through the fretboard, I, however, do not regret it
Quote by PainIsPower
I scalloped my frets 15-end on my project guitar. It is good to hear that some one likes the scallop and that I didnt waste my time and ruin the fret board. I used a little round file, just a bit bigger then a pencil, I believe it is used to sharpen chain saw blades. I tried using a half round at first, but thought it was to big and akward. You could always wrap some 60 grit around your pencil and rub away.

Cool!

I'm now a scallop convert! (yes, already!) I'm gonna scallop the remaining frets (1-11) soon, possibly tomorrow .
Dude you scalloped half of your fret board it fells like crap The dots on the side are half gone!
NICK-NAC PATTY WACK GIVE A DOG A HANDJOB!

The day I see a squirrel masturbating to pictures of other squirrels is the day that we'll lose our human uniqueness.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Yep, I scalloped the 12-22 frets on my strat copy (not bad at all) and it feels AMAZING! The vibrato/bending is incredible, and the light touch makes shredding feel effortless .

I might scallop my Godin Freeway Floyd sometime, but I wanna get used to it with my SSS strat first.

My camera's not working atm, pics tomorrow hopefully!

Hurrah another scalloping noob like me! I have fully scalloped 3 neck, and yeah I agree is loads of effort but so worth it! May I humbly suggest checking out the Dremel contour sander he's got there for your next one? I managed to snag one on eBay for $23 and it speed up the process immensely! Also, didn't he mention using masking tape, not duct tape?

EDIT: Like everyone else said, let's get some pics!
I've never actually played a scalloped guitar, I was gonna buy a cheap nylon strung acoustic and scalop 6th fret down or something, Just to see what it feels like, plus i thought it might suit a classical guitar...
I've never played a scalloped guitar but i finished scalloping my bass the other day, every fret.

bloody difficult when all you have is 1 file.
especially with the size of the frets
it's not very well done but it'll do i think
still haven't had a chance to play it, i'm waiting for my Badass bridge to be delivered
Rockin' shit
Okay, please humor me... what is the purpose of scalloping? I'm guessing deeper bends and more vibrato are possible. Anything else?
Quote by cedricsmods
Okay, please humor me... what is the purpose of scalloping? I'm guessing deeper bends and more vibrato are possible. Anything else?

Well, alot of modern guitars have "jumbo" frets - frets that are high off the fret board, these basically serve a similar purpose to scaloping - so when you fret a note you don't (or barely) touch the actual wood of the fretboard. haveing never played a scalloped guitar though, I doubt it feels just the same as jumbo frets.
Quote by Shwing55
Dude you scalloped half of your fret board it fells like crap The dots on the side are half gone!

RJ, stop bumping all my ****ing threads, just cause you look em up doesn't mean you have to post in them.

.....You're just not used to scalloped frets.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
have u tried playing chords on them?

Yeah, it's not a problem at all. Like bending them out of tune? Hasn't happened .
Unless you have an incredibly "holy fuck who is that guy?"-esque heavy touch - you'll be fine .