Yeah, but it'll put a lot more wear on the tubes remaining, possibly cooking them sooner and/or cooking your output transformer...eventually.

Taking out 1/2 the tubes isn't going to cut the volume in half though. Say you have a 100 watt head...you'd need to go to 10 watts to cut the volume in half, not 50 watts. Try getting some other speakers w/ lower SPL ratings (lower numbers are less efficient...try and find one around 97db or lower...)
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Yes ^, emphasis of cooking sooner.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by GuitarUltimate?
Yes ^, emphasis of cooking sooner.

Sounds like the voice of experience???
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by LP Addict
****, i got a 50 watt amp, and i played it out last night, and it was straight up TOO loud, i had to turn it down to almost as low as it would go...and it sounded like ****. attenuator ftw?

They change the tone, make it less dynamic...I think. Never used them, I build amps and just build the wattage I need. If you do go that route, make sure you do a lot of research so you know it isn't going to suck at life.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
They change the tone, make it less dynamic...I think. Never used them, I build amps and just build the wattage I need. If you do go that route, make sure you do a lot of research so you know it isn't going to suck at life.

gotcha... i need to do something. its a 1x12 50 watt and it cut through my friends SS full stack all night, it sucked. =[
Quote by LP Addict
gotcha... i need to do something. its a 1x12 50 watt and it cut through my friends SS full stack all night, it sucked. =[

Hah!!! That's the point...

Other option would be something like an Epi VJ with a pedal or something if you need it...though that then might not be *enough*

what's your friend have?
Quote by kcdakrt

randall G3 somesortaballs. i got a crate GT-50... its high gain, and i dont think ill get hat out of a VJ, as much as i love those amps, i think i like the blackhearts better. i dont use/believe in pedals, which is why im iffy on an attenuator.