Hi everybody, today I just bought a Carvin MTS3200 50/100W amp head for wicked cheap. So that's exciting. But now I need a cab so I can play it!

I really know nothing about cabs in terms of ohms and stuff, but I'm a physics major so if you wanna use fancy electricity terms go ahead. The Carvin head has a selector switch for 4, 8, or 16 ohms....

I don't play in a band or anything, just home playing and eventual recording. So the absolute biggest cab I need is a 4x12. Would buying a 2x12 be a good/bad idea? I'm not quite sure, that's where you come in to recommend me one! I would want a cab that is best suited for metal, if they make cabs suited for different genres and stuff, I really have no idea.

And I don't have the biggest budget, I imagine I could spend $400 at max, if that will get me anything good...of course I'm probably gonna look for used ones but I'm still not sure how far $400 will get me.

Thanks!
Look as used Marshall 1960a's.
Randall Cabs are good too as they have a mic eliminator.
In fact you could check out some Randall MTS cabs. Haven't played them, but they're highly recommended by a fair few. They come in 2x12's too.
Signatures are overrated.
lol get a avatar 2x12. they WILL hook you up nicely with a pair of celestion vintage 30 or greenback or a mix of both. these are the same speakers found in the mesa cab and marshalls. and for the price you can't go wrong. the only thing i regret is i didn't get a 4x12.
Quote by guitar/bass76
Vader 2x12 - I'm pretty sure they're within $400

They're exactly $400 actually. They're also 100 pounds... I'm not sure it that's normal for a 2x12, but I thought that seemed crazy heavy...
Try to find a used Mesa 212 Recto Cab. They sound great and would work well if you play clubs or small to medium sized venues. I think they only weigh like 50lbs.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
Quote by guitar/bass76
Vader 2x12 - I'm pretty sure they're within $400

not for a mts though. i would suggest the randall maybe, but if you can get a marshall get it. mts's are basically really sweet jcm's
Quote by T!AN
They're exactly $400 actually. They're also 100 pounds... I'm not sure it that's normal for a 2x12, but I thought that seemed crazy heavy...

That is pushing it being $400 I suppose - but they're 70 lbs. which isn't far from something like Avatar which are Vintage: ~59 lbs. Traditional: ~50 lbs. and Contemporary: ~65 lbs.

edit:
Quote by convictionless
not for a mts though. i would suggest the randall maybe, but if you can get a marshall get it. mts's are basically really sweet jcm's

Sorry - not familiar with the mts?

ts - it's quite possible I'm way off in my suggestion so disregard accordingly
Quote by T!AN

They're 70 pounds...
I'd recommend a Vader 2x12 as well.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
^ I stand corrected about the weight. Should have double checked. Thanks for the info though...