So, I am normally a guitarist. Yesterday i bought my first bass (a Lancewood 505, the only one in all of New Zealand, or so im told) for recording and whatnot.
Now on the 6 string i favour Drop D tuning. So so far ive been working out bass lines in Drop D.
But a problem arises. Now i have an extra string. And it would be very odd to have one random string dropped and not the rest.
So my options;

Tune all bass strings down a whole step.
Tune the E down to a D and leave everything else the same.
Tune the top two strings down one step then leave the rest the same.

I know very little about bass so any all help is appreciated. Thanks alot.
My band plays a lot in Drop D, I just drop the E a step and leave it. Yeah, I can get the same notes on the B string, but it's more work. I don't really have too much use for the notes below B personally, so I dont feel like sacrificing any string tension on the B for notes I'll rarely use.
Quote by Xak
My band plays a lot in Drop D, I just drop the E a step and leave it. Yeah, I can get the same notes on the B string, but it's more work. I don't really have too much use for the notes below B personally, so I dont feel like sacrificing any string tension on the B for notes I'll rarely use.

Actually, it's less work, ALL the notes are there on the bass, you just have to not be lazy and work out what you need to play.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Actually, it's less work, ALL the notes are there on the bass, you just have to not be lazy and work out what you need to play.

The dude has a point.
I tune my bass guitar to CGDAEB (c being the highest and b being the lowest) so i would suggest you tune it to GDAEB (G being the highest and B being the lowest. That way you have some really low notes on the b string with the rest of the notes tuned to standard(making it easier since your probably already familiar with standard)
Quote by ChemicalFire

Ok, try playing a D - C - d (up an octave) triplet with hammer ons without drop tuning. Sometimes, you need to drop one, especially when you have very fast lines that keep going between notes higher up and the open note.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1