Page 1 of 2
Hey, I was thinking about starting up a record label and I needed some help.

First of all, what are some methods a small record label can make money off of artists on the label? I have a couple ways, but I want to find others.

Second, what are some main jobs for the label to do? They are responsible for getting artists shows, working with recording studios, etc, correct?

Lastly, what's a cool label name? I haven't come up with one yet...

Sorry if wrong forum...
Quote by exect4500
do you really think the pit has the answers?

where else would I put this? besides, this is a musician's forum...
Ya its probably not worth starting your own if you plan to do it for a living. If you want to start a local label for some extra side money or just fun then I'd say go for it.

Labels usually get albums into stores and promote shows. Managers get gigs and such.

and the proper forum should be musician talk, in the pit all you get is kids trying to be funny.
Labels generally have a touch of professionalism to them

I understand that being created by and for the people who use them is cool. But most people here have no real idea how all that shindig goes down.

And yes, I said "shindig goes down".
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by slappymoe66
Ya its probably not worth starting your own if you plan to do it for a living. If you want to start a local label for some extra side money or just fun then I'd say go for it.

Labels usually get albums into stores and promote shows. Managers get gigs and such.

Yeah, I'm just doing it for something on the side for ****s and giggles and to makea couple extra bucks.
im no expert, but i would figure you would sort of invest in bands. give them some money to record, get promotion, etc. then take some of the profits. give em a thousand dollars or whatever to record an ep then take half of every CD sold to make your money back. you could also do that with tshirts etc, pay for the band to get tshirts, take half of the profit. easy.
Quote by nine01n
im no expert, but i would figure you would sort of invest in bands. give them some money to record, get promotion, etc. then take some of the profits. give em a thousand dollars or whatever to record an ep then take half of every CD sold to make your money back. you could also do that with tshirts etc, pay for the band to get tshirts, take half of the profit. easy.

Well, I'm planning on doing a smaller label for local bands. Also, I'm only 17 and don't exactly have a thousand dollars to give out.
Quote by Lucid Like Life
Yeah, I'm just doing it for something on the side for ****s and giggles and to makea couple extra bucks.

Then just find some bands you like, find a recording studio, make album, get em gigs, etc..
Quote by slappymoe66
Then just find some bands you like, find a recording studio, make album, get em gigs, etc..

I have a recording studio in my basement, which is gonna be the main foundation of the label... I was thinking one way to get make money would be to have them make me a certain amount of money and then I'll record them for free, and whatever they don't make the pay the difference.

I was wanting to know other ways to make money.
Quote by minifridge
the best name of all would be "Radisaurus Records" and where do u live? (in case there happens to be the one in one million billion trillioneth of a chance that u live near me) and yes i said one million billion trillioneth

Near St. Louis, MO.
Quote by Lucid Like Life
I have a recording studio in my basement, which is gonna be the main foundation of the label... I was thinking one way to get make money would be to have them make me a certain amount of money and then I'll record them for free, and whatever they don't make the pay the difference.

I was wanting to know other ways to make money.

ohh man you should have mentioned this. record the bands for free man. record their whole album, get your label a website, and sell the bands music. you can make money off of their talent, and its all fair because you recorded them for free. you can sell their album at little stands and **** at the local bands shows and online and get some money from that, and you can tell the bands to give you 1/3rd of every album sold. another idea you could get some local bands you like and record a compilation CD with a few tracks from all your bands, give it out at some local shows, then use that to lure people in so you can sell full albums.
Quote by nine01n
ohh man you should have mentioned this. record the bands for free man. record their whole album, get your label a website, and sell the bands music. you can make money off of their talent, and its all fair because you recorded them for free. you can sell their album at little stands and **** at the local bands shows and online and get some money from that, and you can tell the bands to give you 1/3rd of every album sold. another idea you could get some local bands you like and record a compilation CD with a few tracks from all your bands, give it out at some local shows, then use that to lure people in so you can sell full albums.

Wouldn't that require me being at each show, though?

Quote by master
You're gonna need quite a bit of capitol to invest. How much money do you have for it?

Not much... I don't plan on having a huge label or anything, though... I already have studio equipment and anything I need for web equipment. What else would I need money for?
so im gonna be on your label right?
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Quote by Lucid Like Life

Not much... I don't plan on having a huge label or anything, though... I already have studio equipment and anything I need for web equipment. What else would I need money for?

You need money to give the artists on your label an advance, for recording, production, mixing, touring... all that kind of stuff.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You need money to give the artists on your label an advance, for recording, production, mixing, touring... all that kind of stuff.

I would be doing the first three, and I don't plan on having large-scale touring bands.
Quote by Lucid Like Life

Advertising, making the CD's, etc...

Advertising and marketing is the big one. You're not gonna sell CDs and tickets if nobody knows the band. And if you're at all serious about it you're gonna have to write up a very detailed contract regarding song rights and money distribution. You never know, the bands might get big.
Quote by master
Advertising, making the CD's, etc...

Advertising and marketing is the big one. You're not gonna sell CDs and tickets if nobody knows the band. And if you're at all serious about it you're gonna have to write up a very detailed contract regarding song rights and money distribution. You never know, the bands might get big.

I was planning on doing it Asian Man Records style. I will be producing CDs and such, so advertising would be the focus there I suppose.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But what if the band doesn't want you as their mixer or producer? Different producers do better jobs with different things. Or you may be a sucky producer. I don't know. But if they get someone else to produce, the producer needs paying somehow.

Hm.. Well, it would take a cut from their royalties I suppose.
Quote by ViperScale
labels are going the way of the dinosaurs so i think it is probably a waste of time.

not really, theres still a place for record labels, megalithic labels that dominate huge portions of the industry however, are going downhill fast.

Quote by Lucid Like Life
I would be doing the first three, and I don't plan on having large-scale touring bands.

any band that is going to make significant money has to tour, and they have to tour a lot, and if you run a label you will be expected to help finance it, or they will sign with someone else.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by Lucid Like Life
Hm.. Well, it would take a cut from their royalties I suppose.

That's not how it works. A band only takes royalties AFTER recoupable expenses have been paid. The advance is essentially a loan- in thios case so they can live whilst they record, and pay for anything related to the recording. A royalty is something that is decidely contractually, and taking a cut from their royalties is a breach of contract on your part.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's not how it works. A band only takes royalties AFTER recoupable expenses have been paid. The advance is essentially a loan- in thios case so they can live whilst they record, and pay for anything related to the recording. A royalty is something that is decidely contractually, and taking a cut from their royalties is a breach of contract on your part.

Ah, I getcha.

Well, anyone have any ideas for a label name?
Quote by Lucid Like Life
Ah, I getcha.

Well, anyone have any ideas for a label name?

You don't like Sexy Dinosaur Records?

kill all humans
My advice is go online with it, that is where everything is going today. Don't get left behind.
why don't you just start a production studio or something?
you already have the equipment and all and you said you'd just record the bands.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
why don't you just start a production studio or something?
you already have the equipment and all and you said you'd just record the bands.

I wanted the two to go hand-in-hand.

Quote by Brain245
My advice is go online with it, that is where everything is going today. Don't get left behind.

That's gonna be my main advertising ground.

Quote by alaskan_ninja
You don't like Sexy Dinosaur Records?

Don't worry, I put it on the list!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
So yeah, after doing a bit of research, would you be able to give a band an advance of anything upwards of $5,000?

No, haha. What would that $5000 consist of?
yo i have a 10x better idea. if you are good at recording, just start a f-ucking recording STUDIO, not a record label. charge bands like 15$ an hour, you can make a good bit of money. or actually if you want even more you can charge like 100$ per song. this way their is no gambeling with a bands success. a suck a-ss band can come in to be recorded, but it doesnt matter because they are paying you upfront for your work. and maybe on the side of this studio (with some of your extra money) you could have a small label under the same name as the studio where you record bands for free and help with promotion, advertising etc and you take some of the profits from cd sales
Quote by Lucid Like Life
No, haha. What would that $5000 consist of?

Even if you do record and produce-

1) Legal fees
2) Advertisement and Promotion
3) Actually making the CDs
4) Artwork
5) Money so the band can actually live

and so on and so forth.

And that $5000 figure is an absolute AT LEAST.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Even if you do record and produce-

1) Legal fees
2) Advertisement and Promotion
3) Actually making the CDs
4) Artwork
5) Money so the band can actually live

and so on and so forth.

And that $5000 figure is an absolute AT LEAST.

You're forgetting that this isn't suppose to be a huge record label...
Page 1 of 2