ok my dad bought me a fender standard precision bass (i also chose it so yeah) and this is before i knew anything about bass. then i later learned that i didnt like the tone i was getting for slapping and popping and that Jazz are favoured above them for there slap and popping sound

anyway i want to get as close as i can to a Flea sort of tone, shoud i get a refund and buy an OLP musicman?

also does anyone know if Billy Hyde gives refunds or store credit? i've only had the bass for a few months

and 1 last thing is this something i should do or should i just messs with the EQ until i get a tone i like (which i've tried a bit)?

also if i do this will i regret it because once i do it i cant swap back so i want to make sure i dont do it and regret and then im stuck with a crappier bass
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Jun 15, 2008,
I would stick with the P if I were you. You can save up to buy an OLP much quicker than you can for a P, if anything, trade it in a get a Jazz, that'll be closer to the flea tone
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
+^ is right. DO NOT trade it in for an OLP. You will be trading a midrange bass for a beginner bass. If anything trade it for a jazz.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
but what about my tone? i mean arent p-bass unfavoured for the slap tone?

and im not worried about losing my p-bass as long as i dont regret it

wouldnt i get closer to fleas tone if i had the same type of pup as him?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Yeah, but Flea has gone to using Fender Jazz basses, and now back to his several thousand dollar signature moluluses.

While P basses are not common for slap, they can sound very good. At any rate, about 70% of your tone is fromt he amp, and this is influenced massively by your technique. Flea has a very, umm, 'interesting' technique, so emulating him would be very hard, even if you had a full GK rig and a Modulus.

Personally, I would work on getting your own tone. P basses are great basses, and it won't let you down. For slap, try boosting the treble slightly and cutting a little bit of mids.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ok thanks gm_jack

do you have any tips for emulating fleas technique?

and i have a ashdown mag300 combo do you have any tips for that?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
ok thanks gm_jack

do you have any tips for emulating fleas technique?

and i have a ashdown mag300 combo do you have any tips for that?

Quite frankly, Flea has pretty poor slap technique. He looks faster than he is because his technique is so inefficient. Work on slap in general, rather than copyingone style that is likely to limit you later.

As for amp settings, leave the bass about neutral, boost the treble a bit, but the middle and low mids, and then use the higher mids to create a smooth curve.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
wow i never knew flea had a poor slap technique but it has managed him all these years so good for him

well il work on my slap technique and play around with my EQ

thanks for that gm_jack just 1 last thing

i still have the stock strings on my bass

what strings can you recomend for me? note that once i change them i wont change for a while probably
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
wow i never knew flea had a poor slap technique but it has managed him all these years so good for him

Pete Wentz plays with a pick over the 15th fret and he's a huge rockstar!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9

Pete Wentz plays with a pick over the 15th fret and he's a huge rockstar!

huh?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
huh?

You said that Flea had a bad technique but has still made it big. You sounded like you were suprised, so I gave you another example.

New UGers seem to be getting slower and slower these days...

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
For strings, I would go with a solid set of stainless steels. Tough on the fingers, but you soon get used to it. They last a fair whie and sound great.

More specifically, I would go with either Rotosound Swing '66 or Warwick EMP. The rotosounds are brighter, but the EMP retain their brightness for a little longer.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by sonsie
but what about my tone? i mean arent p-bass unfavoured for the slap tone?

and im not worried about losing my p-bass as long as i dont regret it

wouldnt i get closer to fleas tone if i had the same type of pup as him?

I would work on my own slap tone, emulating another players tone is good and all but that's not what music is really about. Also, you won't be able to replicate flea's tone because he has a unique technique [he's self taught] and amp configuration.

Also, P -basses can still sound good with slap, i would boost your high mids.
A Fender P/Ashdown MAG setup won't sound that like Flea, but you won't want to sound like Flea forever anyway. You can certainly get your slap skills down with the equipment you have. You've got great gear and making a loss on it to try and get Flea's tone (when in all probability you'll want something different before long) is in my view a bad idea.

If I were you I'd hang on to the gear you have (and put some very bright stainless steel strings on the P) and work with what you've got until you realise what you want in terms of sound and playability rather than trying to copy your hero. Of course, it's entirely up to you.

If you do decide to trade in, try Fender Jazz basses and look around for a used MusicMan Sub and you could look around for a brighter sounding amp (not really my territory but maybe GK or Warwick)
Well, in my opinion, I do not care for p basses because I don't like the necks and the tone very much. So, if you wanted to get rid of it, at least trade it in for a fender jazz!
I slap on my P Bass clone, boost the mids and you'll be fine. On the strings, go lighter in the gauge as well; it helps esp. when you start out in getting a good slap sound. Hell, I even slap on my fretless, but that's me.

Unless its your first bass, I wouldn't go for a OLP--you're correct in your thread title, its a downgrade. Save up for a used SUB or used MM if you really want to go for the EBMM tone, you'll be happier in the end.

Slap technique, esp. developing your own tone and style, takes some time and experimentation. I finally think mine has gotten to a point where it sounds OK. Listen and watch a variety of players, don't just limit yourself to Flea. And listen to drummers; matching your percussive "slap" to a basic drum loop or in imitation of a drum riff can be very helpful.
yeh how does flea hav a poor slap techinique nd can you show me a youtube video of a good techinique so i can get some tips plz?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all