Page 1 of 17
My friend and me were just talking on AIM about how this kid in our school just started playing guitar and bought a JEM as his first guitar. I think that the most annoying thing in the world is when kids buy amazing guitars when they start out. I mean, just cause you have a great guitar doesn't mean you're going to be a great player. I know people that would say so what, let them do what they want (like my friend) but I can't get over it. I had a crappy little strat knockoff as my first guitar 5 and half years ago, so maybe that's why I feel this way, but I can't see anybody feeling any different (even though people do).
Edit: Ok, you guys don't get it (some of you) I'm not saying when somebody buys like a 700 dollar guitar that's too much, but like a ****ing JEM for a first guitar. That thing picks up every mistake you make too, so its harder to sound good with it if you just started. And it's 2000+ dollars.
Edit again: You know what, you guys have actually swayed my opinion. I guess kids can get whatever they can afford and why the **** should I care anyway. Never thought I would feel that way, but most of you guys are right and it really is immature of me to feel the way I did. So, cool yeah I can't believe this thread is still here lol.
Last edited by OnlyIbanez12 at Jun 16, 2008,
I do too. If a guy that's been playing a year (and sucks) would have a Gibson Les Paul, I would flip.
My thoughts have already been expressed for me.

"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." R. A. Heinlein.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
You annoy me.

Rich people get expensive things and poor people don't. /thread
Yeah.. i know how you feel.. just keep your eye on that kid, and if he starts not liking the guitar anymore. BUY IT.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
yeah i agree thread starter...

It's like 10 year olds buying a $2,000 dollar shotgun for their first gun.

just.... un-necessary
Quote by ~DrEaM ThEaTeR~
dude why learn on a ****ty guitar if you can learn on a good one?
Cause that's why ****ty guitars are made. To learn on them, get better, then buy a good one. Why else would they be made.
what kills me is when kids on youtube have les pauls or jems and they play smoke on the water or crazy train or fake a whole song
Quote by ~DrEaM ThEaTeR~
dude why learn on a ****ty guitar if you can learn on a good one?

the man speaks truth.

It is slightly annoying, though, as most of us have bought all of our gear.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
It pisses me off no end, even though i had a telecaster as a first guitar, when i see little fags with deans and esp's and ibenezs as a first guitar. and like andy_h04 said, they give up once they realise it takes a bit of work to get good. Noobs....
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
It only annoys me if they give up after they buy it. But if they are serious and practice a lot then it doesn't bother me at all. It might make them want to play more if they have a really expensive guitar instead of a cheap starter pack ( I started on one too).
I would have to say I'm pretty neutral on the subject. It's only annoying if they hardly even play it and just show it off. But I'd respect them if they actually got good on it. But they again, I dont think they would actually appreciate how good that guitar really is unless they had a P.O.S. guitar to start out with.
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
Cause that's why ****ty guitars are made. To learn on them, get better, then buy a good one. Why else would they be made.

well i had a fender squire as my first guitar then got a much better one that was far easier to play on and sounded much better, so i would have much rather had the good one first
Quote by Free to Guitar
My thoughts have already been expressed for me.

"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." R. A. Heinlein.

"Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.” - R. A. Heinlein

Expensive guitars are better to start out on... they play a hell of a lot nicer.
All your base are belong to us.
As long as he understands/appreciates what he has, and tries to play it as well as possible...it'd be nice if everyone started huge, can't win em all though.
Your Signature:
Its annoying plus if the annoying rich person doesn't stick with playing then their screwed.
Quote by Free to Guitar

This.
Well, its not as bad as some kids go as soon as they turn 16 go and buy a really nice car and wreck it the next day.
i dont really care for the most part

although i do get a lil jealous when i see kids who's parents have bought them a marshall dsl50 and 1960a cab, 2 gibby sg's, a fender 50th anni strat, and a gibby les paul, along with a full pedalboard...all by the age of 17
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Annoy? hmm, it mostly just makes me sad ;-;
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
i dont see why you are so bothered by it. my best friend is just starting out and he's gonna get a guitar and i know that he'll only get one so i told him to go for something decent and never worry about it again. so he's gonna get a nice little esp with a pair emg 81s in it that'll put him back about $500.

it'll be better than all my guitars put together but it doesn't bother me at all...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Whiners do...
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
It annoys me...been playing a year and a half or so with a Squrie Strat (from those Strat Packs) ...hate it...not saying I deserve a Gibson LP Custom, but I would like a good mid range guitar that plays better, and I actually LIKE to play...but it happens in everything...in Paintball, 12 year old kids who SUCK end up getting mommy to buy a $1200 Ego, while the actual good players don't have enough for such a nice gun...but, I try not to let it bother me...even tho it does...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Barack Obama
yea i ****in shred too

Sigged

EDIT:
Quote by Skynyrd890
while the actual good players don't have enough for such a nice gun...but, I try not to let it bother me...even tho it does...

Musicians are supposed to be poor anyways, so don't let it get to you man.
Quote by st.stephen
Sigged

EDIT:

haha... someone is in love...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by st.stephen
Sigged

EDIT:

then thank God I'm doing SOMETHING right...haha
Yes its annoying but thats the way **** is, if that person or their parents/guardians/relatives whatever want to shell out over a grand on a guitar for them, let it be. Just keep your sanity in knowing that your better than them.

Its just like those rich douchebags on that sweet 16 show. They probably don't even have their licenses, but their parents buy them ****ing rolls royces and bentleys as first cars.
I look at it this way. Your a begginer and you probably play like crap so that gives you reason to get a crappy guitar. But, as you become better it gives you the opportunity to buy better and better guitars as your level of skill increases. If you were to buy an expensive guitar as your first guitar, then it makes no sense. What would you do if you get better? Your probablly not going to buy something lower then the guitar that you have. All in all, I believe guitar playing is like a long winding road that allows you to start from the bottom up, and explore more expensive guitars as you become better.
Quote by Underjoggle
My guitar is made from the wood of Christ's cross. With strings made of his beard hair.
Quote by Schmoove
I look at it this way. Your a begginer and you probably play like crap so that gives you reason to get a crappy guitar. But, as you become better it gives you the opportunity to buy better and better guitars as your level of skill increases. If you were to buy an expensive guitar as your first guitar, then it makes no sense. What would you do if you get better? Your probablly not going to buy something lower then the guitar that you have. All in all, I believe guitar playing is like a long winding road that allows you to start from the bottom up, and explore more expensive guitars as you become better.
That's the same way I feel. I mean I look at my old guitar and I just remember first getting it and moving up with it and finally buying a new one, but I still love my old guitar. If I had started out with my guitar I have now then I wouldn't feel that way, cause I would still have the same one.
I look at it this way. Your a begginer and you probably play like crap so that gives you reason to get a crappy guitar. But, as you become better it gives you the opportunity to buy better and better guitars as your level of skill increases. If you were to buy an expensive guitar as your first guitar, then it makes no sense.

So we should spend extra money to buy crappy and less-crappy guitars, instead of just buying a good guitar?
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jun 15, 2008,
I think that to start off with, any **** is good...you don't know your style, you don't know what feature you like/dislike, but when you get better, and a little more experienced, you start to learn, and upgrade to what you want...kids who start off with tehse high ends, don't know what they want out of the amazing piece they have, and it goes to waste...most lil rich kids don't even stick with it anyway...
It's easier to learn on a nice one, but you don't appreciate it as much if you don't start out on a ****ty one. I had a Squier Bullet, then an Ibanez Gio, THEN an Ibanez Artcore (still very nice), then a Kramer 610, and now my Edwards. It's much easier to appreciate how nice filet mignon is after eating McDonalds.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores