Ok, so i just, not 10 minutes ago, discovered Ned Evett, who plays fretless guitars, with glass fretboards. Check out this song, it made me fall in love!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j10F9_K9O7Y&feature=related

So i looked up these glass fretboarded guitars, and conversion necks are 500 dollars (USD)

http://www.fretlessguitar.com/guitarsite/home.html (click on the thing that says fretless store, and then conversion necks)

Sooo, does anyone have a clue as to where i could get a glass fretboard, or better yet, how to make one?

Thanks in advance,
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
from what ive read u fill the fret bar spots with plastic then coat the neck with glue and then wet sand the hell out of it then glue and sand it again
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Do you have a link to where you read that?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
I've heard of people attempting to cut their own from laminated/safety glass and adhering it with polyurethane, I suppose you could try this?
i wouldn't wanna do that much work tho i would just try and buy a cheep fretless and i think im gonna theres a store on ebay that sells them for like 130 for a fretless guitar get 1 and take the neck off
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Why don't you just make a guitar neck without frets. fretting is by far the most difficult thing in neck making.
hmmmm, i like that idea carousel! i just need to learn to make necks. I have a neck that I want to start building, but i lack a bandsaw at the moment.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
couldn't you coat the fretboard in epoxy, and get the same effect?
Quote by walker-rose
hmmmm, i like that idea carousel! i just need to learn to make necks. I have a neck that I want to start building, but i lack a bandsaw at the moment.

You don't have to use a bandsaw when making a neck. I never do.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
You don't have to use a bandsaw when making a neck. I never do.

Not even for rough cutting it?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Not even for rough cutting. I use my bandsaw for a lot of things and setting it up with the right blade takes more time than just carving with a chisel, block plane, and a spoke shave.
Not taking any online orders.
I agree that you can do it without a bandsaw, but disagree that setting a bandsaw uptakes longer than carving it with a chisel. It takes like 2 minutes to set my bandsaw(18 inch laguna) up.
my bandsaw doesn't have to be set up every time I rough saw a neck. Anyway, point is it doesn't take a long time to make a neck even if you don't have a bandsaw. I can go from rough sawn board to neck ready to be glued in about an hour or two.
Ok guys, back on topic. Any idea where i could find glass, or something very close to make a fretboard out of?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Thats what i was thinking, because glass would be tough to cut, without the right tools, whatever those may be.

Where could i purchase a sheet of acrylic, and what tools would I need?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
that would be cool.

if i were you id get the glass and a neck back from warmoth for less then $40
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
I would just need to find the dimensions for the neck that i would make.

Speaking of building, im considering building a whole guitar, instead of just a neck. Any suggestions for body style?

Edit: Skar thats a good idea, since im going to be busy for the rest of the summer, if i were to get some money, id just buy a neck blank and body from Warmoth.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Last edited by walker-rose at Jun 15, 2008,
Wat would u use exactly to glue the glass to the neck? I am also considerding a fretless glass fretboard.

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
You couldn't really use glass, it'd crack when you strung the guitar up. whatever you put on it has to be flexible to an extent. to glue it youd need to use some type of epoxy I'd imagine. I have no idea where to get acrylic, I've never used it. ask muikoma i remember he used it all the time. I havent seen him post for a while though.
try lexan. Exensive, but won't crack and is super strong. They sell it at lowes and home depot.

Also for both materials:

www.mscdirect.com They have various shapes and sizes. It's usually squares, but you can find what you need there and it's not bloody expensive like most places! Lowes and home depot are good if you want lexan though. Selection may be poor, but it works!
go for lexan then. I'm gonna try to make a solid lexan neck with leds in it eventually.
Quote by carousel182
go for lexan then. I'm gonna try to make a solid lexan neck with leds in it eventually.

+1 except I am thinking about doing the entire guitar and with cold cathodes around the sides :-D
after I finish up buffing and setting up my 006 deluxe I'm gonna start on a right handed LP that I'm gonna put up on ebay or sell to someone local. Then I'm gonna build something original for myself. I want it to be futuristic looking.
Well i wonder if Evetts fretboard is real glass, if glass would crack when you strung it up.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
i prefer wooden guitars and fretboards. maybe that's just me?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Maybe, but watch that video i linked at the beginning and tell me that its not the least bit interesting.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
To be honest, i dont have a clue. All im going by is thier word.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
well look at the guitar in this video. It looks like there is just a thin sheet of glass ontop of the original fretboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzle_hgjakY

Yeah, definatly looks like it was added on top of an existing fretboard. I would guess that it was epoxied on, there are a few products out there that can bond glass pretty well.

You'd also want to make sure the glass shop finishes the edges of the plate so you don't lop a finger off. Also, safety glass is tough as hell and I don't think you'd have to worry about the string tension destroying it (you could adhere the plate while the neck is under string tension as well.)

Oh yeah, you'd have to plane the fretboard down as well to make room for the plate.
did they say it was glass? I didn't look to closely and I didn't have audio. I have no experience on this, I'm just speaking from what I think would happen from my experiences from guitar building.
well all the stuff ive seen on this guy says that the fretboard is glass.

uRizen, i do beilive that we're onto something here.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.