This has been bothering me for quite some time now. Is there a reason why most modern V shaped guitars (mainly Rhaods Vs and King Vs) use alder instead of mahogany? Is it just because most players who use those shapes prefer a brighter sound, or is there an actual problem with the properties of mahogany that makes it difficult to cut it into those kinds of shapes?
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
i dono i hate v shaped guitars but dean makes thier v's out of mahogany look on there web sight
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Korina is like mahogany but lighter, and that's what the original Vs and epi reissues use.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
It's probably due to the fact that most guitar players known for playing V-shaped guitars are lead players, rather than rhythm.

As such, the tonal qualities lend themselves to that, where mahogany is better suited with its bass-ier sound to rhythm.

In all honesty, though, it inevitably makes almost no difference. Not when you consider how big of a part the pickups, amp, and quality of the wood itself, makes in the sound.
Gibson V's are mahogany. Its just a preference.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Delanoir
It's probably due to the fact that most guitar players known for playing V-shaped guitars are lead players, rather than rhythm.

As such, the tonal qualities lend themselves to that, where mahogany is better suited with its bass-ier sound to rhythm.

In all honesty, though, it inevitably makes almost no difference. Not when you consider how big of a part the pickups, amp, and quality of the wood itself, makes in the sound.

+1
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by .arkness:.

Only the reissues since '61.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by selkies
I don't know. I hate v shaped guitars but Dean makes their v's out of mahogany. Look on their web site

Christ... Learn to spell man!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Iansmitchell
Only the reissues since '61.

ok, well at least for the last 47 years then....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
As a builder of guitars I can tell you genuine Honduran Mahogany is a lot more money then Alder. Cheapo import guitars usually use some oddball wood that is technically mahogany but is a much lower grade.

Alder is much cheaper
alder has bright and cutting highs and thinner lows . great for lead work, Mahogany on the other side, always seem to carry that low end thump (it's very nice don't get me wrong) and the highs are somewhat rounded off and very smooth (which is also nice) it's all a matter of preference.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by LP_CL
Christ... Learn to spell man!

I was just gonna point out that nothing was spelt wrong til I realised what you did
Idk, i personally prefer mahogany - also for lead playing. it has a nice warmth, and can still easily cut through with the right settings.

Alder has almost same amount of bass, mids and highs - and as the man up there said, it's cheaper than mahogany.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by .arkness:.

indeed (apart from the originals and some reissues).

Quote by SenorSmiley
As a builder of guitars I can tell you genuine Honduran Mahogany is a lot more money then Alder. Cheapo import guitars usually use some oddball wood that is technically mahogany but is a much lower grade.

Alder is much cheaper

also agreed (though i don't build guitars).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is it also maybe because Jackson and Fender are sort of run by the same people? Couldn't the people from Fender make the decision to use alder on Jacksons, since it's what they use on all of their Fender models (almost)?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Is it also maybe because Jackson and Fender are sort of run by the same people? Couldn't the people from Fender make the decision to use alder on Jacksons, since it's what they use on all of their Fender models (almost)?

But Jackson was using alder long before Fender bought them out, and they aren't the only example of this.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers. They all seem like good reasons. Now that I think about it, the Agile Reaper uses mahogany too. So it looks like it really is just preference.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quite a lot of American guitars use alder (with some obvious exceptions) because the tree grows in America and is very common. That's why Gibson are in it since Mahogany supplies are so low now.
i thought the king v with hardtail bridge was mahogany?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The LTD V-500 is mahogany too.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.