Hey, So I was down at Long and McQuades today (instrument store) and I tried out an Ibanez GSR205 bass...

I've been in the market for a cheap bass under $300.

I checked out the specs and while I enjoyed playing the instruments (Light action, slinky and very easy to slap very fast)...

I did not like the options of Nato or Agathis as woods... I'm a guitar player and as I've come to understand with the guitar, Nato & Agathis suck major balls.

I did like the bass though simply because it's playability was comparable to that of a guitar. I also liked the active pickups and the 5 string quality...

Does anyone have any experiences with this bass? Should I expect it to last long (assuming I take great care of it)?

I should have added the linkThe Bass

-Don't comment on how cheap the finish looks... i understand. (there's also an opaque, non-flame maple finish).
Last edited by roshjosh at Jun 15, 2008,
My buddy has a GSR200. Great starter bass, he even gigs with it. As for your expectations for how long it's going to last, its a tough bass. My buddy has been using it forever, never flaked out on him. I highly suggest this bass.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Hey, thanks a lot!

Just one more question...

On the musiciansfriend website, It says the bass is made of Mohogany.
On the ibanez website it says it's made of Nato (for the Canada website, which is different from USA)
On the USA website for Ibanez, it says it's made of Mohogany...

What do I trust?
Not really sure, I would lean towards the mohogany though. I own a Ibanez Sr490 and its mohogany, so it's not to far off. Just call a music store and ask if they have the bass, then ask what kind of wood it is, they should know.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp