so most of the users on here i suspect are in bands yeah?
well i then suspect that atleast 5% of those users are in good bands yeah?
anybody know how to choose a decent recording label?
like if your approached by an indie label, how do you decide whether this label will help your band or whether it will just plummet you guys?
I agree, and definitely have a lawyer advise you before you sign anything. Also keep in mind that for most bands theres not much "choosing" involved. If someone comes up to them and they want to get their music off the ground then they take it because you never know if this will be your only shot but definitely don't just go blindly signing papers.
man, i wish anyone would come up to our band and even bother to help us :/
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Then send some demos and gig invites to some A&R departments. Don't wait for someone to come to you.

what is A&R?

i think the most important thing when signing a contract with a label is that the band has complete creative control, which includes mixing etc.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
realistically you take what you can get, except if your unsure refuse to sign a contract, or at least a long contract

www.myspace.com/thetriadinblood
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Quote by slayer_zero
man, i wish anyone would come up to our band and even bother to help us :/

Record labels aren't there to help the band, they're a business, and they need to make money.

Which is why you won't get signed if you have potential, or if you're promising, you'll only get signed if you're good enough.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by iamaguitarfish
i guess u think ur in that 5% then?

lol. not yet... but soon maybe, we're pretty young, all 15, so we have lots of time to get good.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
lol. not yet... but soon maybe, we're pretty young, all 15, so we have lots of time to get good.

lol k, call me when your good.

i's be your no1 fan.
I checked out your bands myspace and it sounded pretty ok

but to be perfectly honest, if you don't have a full lineup yet you are not going to get signed. My band tried the whole "message us to be in our band" and it did not work out, and then we didnt work out. You need to get out there and meet people and make connections.

Half of the work is knowing the right people.
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
I've had a good listen to your songs.

there's no interest in there- you're going to have to work really hard on your songwriting, and it is really important that you get a vocalist. You aren't bad musicians (although you go out of time a bit sometimes, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with practice).

And when you get the vocalist, you're going to need to make everything a bit more 'different'. You've done well at emulating the style of your influences, but you need something that's more your own before labels are going to be interested.

Good luck :p
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I've had a good listen to your songs.

there's no interest in there- you're going to have to work really hard on your songwriting, and it is really important that you get a vocalist. You aren't bad musicians (although you go out of time a bit sometimes, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with practice).

And when you get the vocalist, you're going to need to make everything a bit more 'different'. You've done well at emulating the style of your influences, but you need something that's more your own before labels are going to be interested.

Good luck :p

Take it from this guy, he's signed
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

Quote by CrowLord
I checked out your bands myspace and it sounded pretty ok

but to be perfectly honest, if you don't have a full lineup yet you are not going to get signed. My band tried the whole "message us to be in our band" and it did not work out, and then we didnt work out. You need to get out there and meet people and make connections.

Half of the work is knowing the right people.

well, we already got 5 people who are auditioning coz the myspace, but thanks anyway.
we'll have a singer by holidays (australia) then we'll take a term to get our songs covered (we mainly do originals) and then start gigging.

The only way to get your own sound is by making as many songs as possible, which is what we're planning on doing, and then in a couple of years, then we'll have a shot at the title.