Exposure by the mass media?
Opinions turned into fact?
Is there in fact an element of truth about stereotypes?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by GnR_ROK

This.
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

Quote by dylpikle9
Think of it like this: Stereotypes are there for a reason.

Bingo

Someone must have seen a lot of mexicans packed into trucks for that stereotype to some about. Do all mexicans pack into trucks? Not even close.

"Many but nowhere near the majority" is the key phrase
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Many people tend to conform to the stereotypes they are born into. That is how they stay relevant.
Quote by GnR_ROK
Exposure by the mass media?
Probably a contributing facotr.
Quote by GnR_ROK
More like people are too stubborn.
Quote by GnR_ROK
Well, it depends.

I'll use this example, because I'm Mexican and I don't want to come off as racist.

A lot of people say mexicans like fajitas. If you see a Mexican and there is no clue other than his race that he likes fajitas, and say to yourself "He likes fajitas", well, not all Mexicans do, therefore that's an invalidated conclusion by deductive logic. It's using inductive logic, which I try never to use unless I have to.

So it's sort of how you define stereotypes. If you define it as "The belief that a whole group of people (group A) do _____, when group A doing _____ is simply a generalization", then no, stereotypes are not true. If you define it as "The belief that because a person belongs to a certain group, he is more likely to be associated with ____" then I would say some sterotypes are true.
Quote by Brain245
Black people invent them.

Exactly. They invented stereotyping to bring white people down with phrases like, "White men can't jump." or "White people are bad at dancing." or "Black guys have bigger penises than white guys." IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

I can live life as a new man.
self fulfilling prophecy. it's so sad. all my black friends only want to do sterotypical black people stuff, and when i ask them why they dont want to do something else, the answer is "that's white people stuff", or "black people dont do so and so". like it's a written rule or something.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Stereotypes are based on truth... Some are exaggerated quite a bit, but still based on observations of the behaviors of specific genders/races/crowds over the century or two...

Most are pretty much exact, but there are always exceptions.
Little bit of truth mixed with various other factors.

Let's face it, the Scots are mean, the Irish are pissed and the English are wankers.

>.>

On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by InvaderTSN
Exactly. They invented stereotyping to bring white people down with phrases like, "White men can't jump." or "White people are bad at dancing." or "Black guys have bigger penises than white guys." IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

I can live life as a new man.

Aren't you a girl?
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Aren't you a girl?

Figurative language ftfw.

Well that and being cliche.
Quote by InvaderTSN
"Black guys have bigger penises than white guys."

Pile of sh*t. Caucasians have the biggest ones by average.

Face it - We rule
Quote by ZeBubba!
... Why are you preaching in the pit? The pit is for satanic people looking to fap.

Dost thou feelst lucky, punk?
I think a lot of stereotypes (not all) have some truth to them. The truth is usually exaggerated. Also, the truth may not apply to everyone that the stereotype is of.

An example of a stereotype is all men with long hair are losers.

I don't think anyone here thinks this is true, although it started off with some truth to it. Long hair was first fashionable in the 60's, and was associated with hippies and rebellion. Hippies did not usually have well paying jobs. They were assumed to be people who probably dropped out of school and do lots of drugs. If long hair was associated with these people, and these people were 'losers' by some peoples standards, it can be concluded that this is where the stereotype of men with long hair being losers came from.

Many other stereotypes are like this. There was probably a bit of truth to begin with, but today the truth is something that was true a long time ago, or the truth is an over simplification, that does not apply to everyone.
Quote by thebeast666
Pile of sh*t. Caucasians have the biggest ones by average.

Face it - We rule

Really? I've heard this too. WHICH IS IT?
Quote by corrylb19
Really? I've heard this too. WHICH IS IT?

It's caucasians. White people. I read it in a durex survey :p
Quote by ZeBubba!
... Why are you preaching in the pit? The pit is for satanic people looking to fap.

Dost thou feelst lucky, punk?
Quote by thebeast666
It's caucasians. White people. I read it in a durex survey :p

I concur. However, there is in general very little variation in organ size in terms of ethnic background. A study done not too long ago found that the only significant factor in determining size was body fat percentage, that is, fat individuals had in general smaller genetalia than those with a more athletic build.
kill all humans