Is oak a good tone wood or what is my next best option that is relatively cheap? Please help
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
cople of questions do u like wareing a desk its supper heavy for a guitat it would cost you like 40+ usd for the wood umm ok tone better for bass mahogony is alwayse a safe bet
Yeah I don't mind the weight. I don't know I just don't like the Mahogony look. Is Walnut a better choice. Or even some type of Maple. Oh yeah and 'm building a guitar not a bass. Not that you that you said I was.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Maple would work. Sounds great. Simple wood. Get it!
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Everyone realizes I'm starting from scratch right.
The main thing that puts me of Oak as a tonewood is that it'd break your back with the weight. It makes lovely necks, but not so great for a body.

Its more suited to building tudor-era warships than guitars
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
I see your point...................To the battle ship. I think I'll screw around with so chap pine pieces untill i'm comfortable enough to use the expencive wood. Besides finding which way the grain gose for structure what other tips can you guys give me as a first time total project builder. Such as when you get to this piont don't do this or that.
That reminds me of another point actually ^

Oak will be pretty difficult to work with, as its such a hard wood.

What sort of tones are you going for?
Something that has a nice treble response and maintains loud projecting sound.
okay now if your woundering this is my body shape it may be rehashed later so don't star cutting it down yet. its like if a jackson sharkfin v, was fused with a Bc rich warlock then mated with a Lespaul and then screwed an Ml
Last edited by Unherolike at Jun 15, 2008,
Sounds to me like Alder or Ash would be what you're looking for!

Nice design by the way!
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Sounds to me like Alder or Ash would be what you're looking for!

Nice design by the way!

Alright I'll look into those two.
If you could chamber it and whack on a maple top your good to go with oak

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Maple is very cheap and sounds great. It sustains very long and is nice and bright, plus it's pretty cheap.
Okay how much dose Alder typicaly run ( in your experience) a board foot. Or LF.
Okay I've refined the shape of the guitar and added possible paint which is most apealing?
1)

2)

3)
Quote by Unherolike
Okay I've refined the shape of the guitar and added possible paint which is most apealing?
1)

2)

3)

#3s the most apealing to me
Im not a big fan of Vs due to the small amout of wood to work with.

Go for maple , its cheeper then ash and is still bright and sustaining.
3 is definitely the most interesting looking piece. If I were you I wouldn't skimp on wood, if the guitar body is at that scale, you might want something a bit warmer like mahogany.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Shape 1, with colours of 3! That would look awesome...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Finally I found a good wood dealer near me and I'm having them Glue the woods together and plane it down two I'll soon have the wood. I'm going with alder or maple at this point.
mahogany, sapele, alder, ash, basswood, poplar... you can do a top laminate on an ugly wood... maple is way heavy for a solid guitar but a 3/4" thick piece on a 1" piece of mahogany wont be too bad... think les paul
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
do a semihollow oak, with a maple top
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Okay Whats a good scale on the size of the guitar. I want a floyd rose so could someone help with. Scaling I built a foam model and its way off so can someone help? Just kinda try to translate the size acording to the picture and the fact that the flyod rose speedloader is width 3.6659" and hieght is 3.7250". Thats just the route parimiter I'll deal with the inner stuff.
I just did a rough estimate and its gonna take a piece of wood 33"tall x 26"wide. I need someone good at math.
are you making a neck thur or bolt on because the neck and the body are always two separate pieces. It sounds like your having it be 1 giant piece. 25.5" scale is rather common.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
are you making a neck thur or bolt on because the neck and the body are always two separate pieces. It sounds like your having it be 1 giant piece. 25.5" scale is rather common.

No i'm not gonna risk money on a neck that I built myself I'm gonna get an Ibanez neck and then get a neck route pattern for the neck I buy. I know the scale is rather common but I drew up a new guitar I'm going more V with it( I like the way they sit). So I'm gonna get some messurements from a local guitar shop on V sizes and then average the sizes to get what I need. I also know the Floyd rose trem cavity needs to be 25inches away from the Nut.
Okay i got a foam cut out of my new design and a photoshop picture with some type of color (not final color)

Quote by divinorum69
hey nice photoshop skills, is that difficult to do?

Haha i know it sucks but It took like 3 minutes with the magic wand selection tool. So to answer your Question NO.
as opposed to those non-guitar luthiers....
(there probably is a non-guitar luthier and i'm gonna get roasted for that)

alder or ash are good, dunno about pricing

join up some old mahogany furniture, theres a load of that around
lol@u
Well first off, a 33'' x 26'' piece of wood is HUGE. A standard size for a guitar is roughly 12-14'' wide and 18 - 20'' long. I'd suggest checking out some dimensions of other flying V's that you like in order to get a good feel for the best dimensions for you.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Wow, I love that V shape! Make that in this color scheme:

with a mahogany chambered body!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster