First off I don't play guitar, I play bass guitar....however my Dad has been playing acoustic/electric guitar for about 40 years now.

The only electric he's owned is a gibson SG jr. that he got in the 60's when he was a teenager, he still has it.

Lately he's been saying he wants a strat, I thought it would be cool to get him one for his birthday. We were watching a band play live the other day and I managed to get him to admit he wants a Fender Strat, natural wood finish, and maple fretboard.

My question is, does fender make such a model? Sienna sunburst or maybe amber seems to be the closest I can find to a natural finish. I would prefer to buy him an american model (probably an american standard), just a personal preference.

Also, is there any danger with a fender standard in buying the instrument without having played it first?

I know with bass's, some fenders of the same make and model are better than others when it comes to dead spots, intonation, etc....are the guitars the same way, or are they a little more consistent?
...which u have already seen so...yeh...

EDIT - just saw the Amber...it's a little more natural looking.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Jun 15, 2008,
Might I suggest a G&L instead?

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=Legacy

G&L was the company Leo Fender founded after selling Fender to CBS (though technically, he created MusicMan in that middle period as well). The Legacy could be considered a progression of the Strat, if you wish to look at it that way.

More importantly, if you order one with a premier finish, you'll get the option of several varieties of natural wood finishes: http://www.glguitars.com/finishes/index.asp
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Yeah, that's 70's vingtage model looks like it would fit the bill.

That's probably right up his alley music wise too, he's big into clapton, SRV, hendrix (he even named me after clapton).

I presume those are mexican made. I just wish it was an american model. Oh well. I guess I will have to decide if I want the 70's vintage in natural or spring for an american standard in blue (blue was his 2nd choice).

I have no isssues with G&L personally, I've even looked into their L-2500 bass for myself but I think my old man kind of has his heart set on a fender.
Ah, yeah, that's understandable.

.....of course, there is one other option. Find yourself a Strat body in natural finish on eBay, find a maple neck (also on eBay), and assemble them yourself. Might even mean more to your dad, you "making" it for him.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Not a bad idea...that'd be a great father's day present...kinda late...but good.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
You mean something like this?
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/263/24601653ua4.jpg

Sorry, it not a Fender.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by lonestarwings
Ahh, that's what I needed....perfect. Thanks for pointing those out. $1500, ouch, but hey, worth it to me.

it's worth it.

why not try to build one for your father? it's the thought that counts.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Fender makes 2 Strats with natural finish. The MIM Classic 70's and the MIA 70's reissue. Both great guitars for the price. So I'd get one of those two, depending on how much are you willing to spend.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
They make them. the cost a little more and they're ash instead of alder. talk to a dealer or check ebay
the Lite Ash isn't a bad idea, either. Birdseye maple is a beautiful wood.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay