Poll: which type of band do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: which type of band do you prefer?
band that plays live exactly the same as in the studio
27 11%
band that add improv and changes the some parts.
218 89%
Voters: 245.
Page 1 of 2
What would you prefer when you see a band live? A band that plays almost exactly like the records, like the record. Or a band that completely improvises solos live, like eric clapton.
i think improvising is what makes it special.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
just look at Led Zeppelin.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Yeah improv,
and he rehearsed stuff thats not on the records cool too.
Something different is gooood
i'd tap that .........speaking to a bass, its a music joke!

Harley Benton-hbb200bk
Epiphone Thunderbird
Electro Harmonix Double muff
Harley Benton 80-b amp
Ernie Ball Strings are my preferance!
Neither one is inherently better, and neither one implies more talent or some bullshit like that.
I don't think that completely improvising solos is good. Maybe throwing in an couple of extra licks here and there, but definitely not the whole solo.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Changing or improving a lick on guitar temporarily is cool, maybe changing up the lyrics a little, as long as it's minor or temporary, I'm cool with it. Not like Buckethead, who will play the main riff of a song to make sure you know what song it was supposed to be and not play anything that even resembles the original afterwards.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by Ichimaru
I don't think that completely improvising solos is good. Maybe throwing in an couple of extra licks here and there, but definitely not the whole solo.

I agree...sometimes you're just looking forward to hearing that one solo and then they go and play something different it can be kind of disappointing.
Quote by lpmarshall
What would you prefer when you see a band live? A band that plays almost exactly like the records, like the record. Or a band that completely fails at playing their own material live, messing up melodies and forgetting their own songs.

fixed for DragonForce
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
Quote by Flying Couch
Neither one is inherently better, and neither one implies more talent or some bullshit like that.

Exactly, not only that but sometimes its good to have a mixture. Have certain signature (to the song) melodies, and imrovisation between these. it's all about good noise. doesn't matter.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
I like it when bands add massive extravagant solos on to the end of songs when they play them live (eg. The Living End)
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
I prefer things being played exactly as they are on the record, but I'm fine with the odd little improvised run mixed in with a solo or riff or whatever.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by Mattalac
Exactly, not only that but sometimes its good to have a mixture. Have certain signature (to the song) melodies, and imrovisation between these. it's all about good noise. doesn't matter.

I feel it prudent for some reason to point out that regardless of how they do it, I almost always prefer live recordings.
Improvising is only better if the solo it produces is better than the original one.
Depends on the band, depends on the genre. Jazz, yeah, encourage it if anything. Most other things... eh, do it at your own risk. I personally despise having a recorded track of about 4 minutes turning into 2 minutes of song and 15 minutes of pointless, sometimes self-indulgent widdling on a live album.

OK, changing the song a little is fine, but only a select group of musicians can get away with huge degrees of improvisation.
The Chili Peppers mix things around alot when it comes to solos and even the melodies. It's refreshing, especially when you listen to records over& over...

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

i dont think ive ever heard clapton playing the same solo from the records, he seems to completely change the solo of his songs. Sames goes for john frusciante.
Well its always good to see a mixture, as in add lots of improv but keep the main feeling or sound or whatever there. Some of the best ones is the Budokan version of Hollow Years by Dream Theater, absoloutly love that solo. Another one that comes to mind is the live versions of Black Diamond by Kiss, the main solo would be there but there would always be some extra little licks added in.
Most often studio versions. But then some improvising during jam maybe. But not improvising the songs I go to see so they can't be recognised.
if i want to listen to the record, i'll stay at home. i go to shows primarily to be entertained
If I wanted to listen to the CD I'd listen to the CD.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Jaysifer
fixed for DragonForce

Careful, you almost missed the bandwagon there.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
I'd rather hear the studio version. Alot of the time I'll be looking forward to a certain solo or riff, and they might improvise it, and that would be really dissapointing.

I don't mind the occasional small improv, but I get annoyed when bands like the chili peppers jam at the end of their gigs. It's goes on for ever!
TRANSFORMICE

SOMETIMES it can be kinda annoying when you hear a song you've been waiting for the whole set, and then on one part of the solo that's supposed to really kick in that emotion, the guitarist does something slightly different, or when the singer's supposed to hit a certain note, he does something else (even though he's proven time and time again that he CAN hit that note).

however, i pretty much always love the live versions of songs to be completely different. I ESPECIALLY like it when the entire band can improvise together, just flowing into something completely different during a song and then bringing it back for a big finale. (see: led zeppelin)
i hate how pink floyd's stuff was always exactly like the album during their concerts. i mean it shows great musicianship, but it's just kinda boring.
Quote by Ovenman
Careful, you almost missed the bandwagon there.

It's not joining the bandwagon to state a fact.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
It's not joining the bandwagon to state a fact.

1: Ignorant.
2: I agree.
3: I wanted someone to like me *cries into tophat*.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by Jaysifer
fixed for DragonForce

I hate Dragonforce but I saw them supporting Machine Head in november and they weren't bad at all.

Some people just think its cool to hate on bands.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
I agree...sometimes you're just looking forward to hearing that one solo and then they go and play something different it can be kind of disappointing.

Thats true, I suppose it depends on the band realy...
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']I hate Dragonforce but I saw them supporting Machine Head in november and they weren't bad at all.

Some people just think its cool to hate on bands.

i was there too. they were so fun it didn't matter to me if they made mistakes.
that's the only concert i've been too, so i can't really answer this in much detail.

i'd prefer it if they stuck to the record but for blues/jazz artists, i'd expect to see some improvisation.
I prefer improvised versions of songs live but sometimes if an improvised solo doesn't fit, it ruins it. As much as I love Live at Slane Castle and what they did there, the first solo in Give it Away didn't help the song too much and sounded a little out of place. Otherwise, it was a great live performance (Flea and Froosh improvising together is awesome)
Improvising is good but only if they're good at it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Page 1 of 2