Pretty much here is my dillemna (or however you spell the damn word) and i'll even make it easy for people to read! I am incredibly bored.

BACKGROUND INFO
My band is starting to gig, well actually that's irrelevant, even when we practice, we play loud... goddamn loud, in a ... well not small but room big enough to fit a 4 peice band comfortably with not HEAPS of room to go nuts in but anyway, due to this, we can't really crank the volume due to the feedback it creates, and if your not wearing ear plugs, that feedback is a sure way to start you on the road to tintinitis (constant ringing in your ears), that being said sit infront of a 120w tube amp on 5 will get pretty much the same results :P

THE PROBLEM
So my problem is this, i am on a budget, i COULD fork out the 400-500 odd to buy some really high quality feedback destroying gear... but i have another tube preamp, a ribbon mic, as well as a few other things to buy for my studio and i need to get something that will kill, if not stop it mostly, feedback.

My limit is probably around 150 AU which in US is probably about 140 these days.

THE SELECTION

The 2 units i was looking at were the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124p, or the Behringer MDX2600 Composer or the Behringer Multigate Pro XR4400. Im a bit reluctant about the feedback destroyer cause of the frequency destruction etc... and the lack of a gate... you woulda thought that would be a no brainer. The composer is nice coz it has the compressor etc etc, and the multigate is nice coz well... we have lead vox and 2 backups, but its not that important if not all mics are gated.

I know the gear is behringer but its dirt cheap and it DOES work. If anyone has any other sugestions they'd be much appreciated.
Feedback is caused by the positioning of your gear, just read up on it and try moving everything around and you should find a more effective way of playing.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Thats where the small room comes into play, atm our singer is standing 6 meters away from the rest of the band and we'd like the whole band to be together, i understand why and how it happens but in such a small environment feedback is inevitable.
Is your whole band behind the monitors?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Basically the room is a bit like this
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| ################# computer/mixer etc etc

|############################################### |
| ####################### drums

| ######################################
|############################################ |

| ################################ |
#### guitar amp ####### monitors ####### bass amp
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So its not a real Gig setup, when we practice for gigs we set it up like a stage with the 2 monitors infront of us so feedback isnt such an issue there.
That doesn't really show anything, but I'll suggest this, if it isn't what you're already doing.

Drum Kit

Bassist, Guitarists

Microphones

Monitors                      Monitors

Audience.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Alrighty, what about when we practice, coz thats the MAIN issue i guess, would the feedback destroyer be better or the gate, if the gate... which one... come to think of it the compressor feature isnt important i run the mics through a tube compressor anyway.
I have no idea. :p

When I gig, everything gets DId into my laptop, then through a PA. No problems, and access to thousands of free effects.

A good noisegate will definitely come in handy, if your amps and equipment don't already have gates in them.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Its just the microphone that needs the gate.

I'd do the same as you and run it all through my computer but lugging around an imac is annoying, i knew i shoulda got a macbook.

So you'd sugest getting the 4 channel gate even if its just a backup and something to have?