I'm looking for a guitar that will produce nice sounding, full chords but will also sound clean/crisp when picking individual notes. Could you suggest some guitars or certain specs I should be looking for in a guitar (i.e. single coil)? Thanks
Semi-Hollows with a full mahogany body and a spruce or maple top. Very midrangy. Also, P-90's have a bit more bite than a fender style single coil while not being as dark as a humbucker.

For what kind of music do you need this guitar and through what amp are you playing? And what is your budget?
that sounds like a Strat to me.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by imgooley
Semi-Hollows with a full mahogany body and a spruce or maple top. Very midrangy. Also, P-90's have a bit more bite than a fender style single coil while not being as dark as a humbucker.

For what kind of music do you need this guitar and through what amp are you playing? And what is your budget?

well right now I have a Fernandes Ravelle Elite and an Ibanez with EMG 81s, so those are mostly metal. I'm looking for a guitar as I described so I could play more like poppy/punk/rock'n'roll. Budget could be anything, but preferably around $500 I'd say. Thanks for the answers. What's a P-90? I've been playing guitar for more than 10 years but I really don't know anything when it comes to terminology and specifics.

i have a few smaller amps but my main one is a voxad30vt
Last edited by bbpp at Jun 15, 2008,
P-90's are great for those genres as well as blues and jazz.

This is what a soapbar style P-90 looks like.

For that budget, I'd suggest a Jazzmaster (which is a bit more at about $7-800 new) and an Epiphone Wildkat. Epiphone also has a les paul model with P-90's I believe.

An alternate route would be a Telecaster or a Stratocaster. Really twangy when on the bridge pickup, but rich, warm and clear when on the neck.

If you want more info about semi's or hollowbodied guitars, feel free to ask.
I'm really a fan of the Epiphone Riviera. If you can find one, they're brilliant guitars for what you want, as well as great for crunch.

...it doesn't hurt either that they're sexy as hell.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^Yeah, those are definitely hot. Mini humbuckers are also a happy medium, so to speak, between the single coil sound and the full humbucker sound
I would suggest a semi-hollow body. A strat or tele will probably sound a little too thin.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by imgooley
P-90's are great for those genres as well as blues and jazz.

This is what a soapbar style P-90 looks like.

For that budget, I'd suggest a Jazzmaster (which is a bit more at about $7-800 new) and an Epiphone Wildkat. Epiphone also has a les paul model with P-90's I believe.

An alternate route would be a Telecaster or a Stratocaster. Really twangy when on the bridge pickup, but rich, warm and clear when on the neck.

If you want more info about semi's or hollowbodied guitars, feel free to ask.

You suggest he get a guitar with P-90s then suggest a Jazzmaster?

I don't get it.

Jazzmasters sound nice but they sound nothing like a nice P-90 equipped guitar.

Also, man y companies slap a p-90 shaped cover on a generic korean made pickup and people get all excited about it.
Quote by SenorSmiley
You suggest he get a guitar with P-90s then suggest a Jazzmaster?

I don't get it.

Jazzmasters sound nice but they sound nothing like a nice P-90 equipped guitar.

Also, man y companies slap a p-90 shaped cover on a generic korean made pickup and people get all excited about it.

This is a Jazzmaster. Those are Soapbar P-90's.
OK - you're an idiot.

A Jazzmaster doesn't have P-90's. They don't look like P-90's and they don't sound like P-90's.

does a jazzmaster sound like a les paul junior?

The only thing they have in common with P-90's is that they're also single coil pickups, so you probably think a strat has P-90s too.

Now, it's clear you actually know what P-90s sound like so why don't you post a video of your p-90 guitar and i'll post a video of mine so the op has a clue as to what these sound like.
Quote by SenorSmiley
OK - you're an idiot.

A Jazzmaster doesn't have P-90's. They don't look like P-90's and they don't sound like P-90's.

does a jazzmaster sound like a les paul junior?

The only thing they have in common with P-90's is that they're also single coil pickups, so you probably think a strat has P-90s too.

Now, it's clear you actually know what P-90s sound like so why don't you post a video of your p-90 guitar and i'll post a video of mine so the op has a clue as to what these sound like.

Please don't call me an idiot. I know standard strats don't have P-90's. Maybe my nomenclature is a bit off, but it's a soapbar style pickup, and I was under the conception that fender style single coils is a name colloquially used with strat and telecaster style pickups. Just like the Fender split coil pickup is a type of humbucker, but Gibson had the first patent on the term 'humbucker'. It's the same concept, only applied differently.

I currently don't own a guitar with P-90's, nor do I have a camera with which to record a demonstration. Frankly, I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can. I'm not trying to have an internet dick measuring contest.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But your comparison of a Jazzmaster to a LP Junior is a poor one, because there are other factors involved. That would be the same as saying that a Gretsch Electromatic sounds like a Emperor Regent just because they both have humbuckers.
No, I'm right because I have owned Jazzmasters and I have owned P-90 guitars.

Anyone who has would know that he pickups don't even look the same.

The size is different, the tone is not even in the same league - for instance I had a Telecaster with a P-90 in the neck and a Telecaster with a Jazzmaster pickup in the neck and they were both from the early 70's and sounded completely different.

Now, please tell us - have you ever played a Jazzmaster for more then 10 minutes in a shop or are you just posting things that you think from looking at pictures?

If you're trying to help the OP you could start by not giving advice when you don't have a clue.

BTW - Jazzmasters have very thin pickups without many windings on them. Also, many of the 60's models have wide coils but very few windings on the pickups -

of course you know this because you are suggesting the OP go out and spend money of this guitar due to your advise.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 15, 2008,
^I'm suggesting that he try one for himself, not that he go out and buy one point blank just because I suggest it. If he chooses to take the advice of anyone on the internet pointblank without using his own hands and ears to judge the instrument, then he deserves what he gets.

Like I said, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and clearly I am. And yes, I have played a jazzmaster for more than 10 minutes. There is no need to be so condescending. Clearly, all you wanted to do was have a dick measuring contest. I refuse to do such a thing because it's childish and nonsensical.
id suggest strat or probably ibanez js1000,and any guitar that has got seymour duncans eg.59'/Jazz with heavy bridge pickups,and also seymour alnico pro
Quote by imgooley
^I'm suggesting that he try one for himself, not that he go out and buy one point blank just because I suggest it. If he chooses to take the advice of anyone on the internet pointblank without using his own hands and ears to judge the instrument, then he deserves what he gets.

Like I said, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and clearly I am. And yes, I have played a jazzmaster for more than 10 minutes. There is no need to be so condescending. Clearly, all you wanted to do was have a dick measuring contest. I refuse to do such a thing because it's childish and nonsensical.

Look, all I'm saying is that if you're going to give someone advice make sure you have a clue.

If you have played a Jazzmaster you should know that the pickups don't look like P-90s or sound like P-90s.

It's not cool to mislead someone. Nobody knows everything but if someone asks for advise you're doing them a disservice by misleading them.
Someone offers help after they are asked and then they are called an idiot?

Awesome...
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Quote by Dav23
Someone offers help after they are asked and then they are called an idiot?

Awesome...

Haha yeah, you weren't around when that guy began his reign of epic trolling in the Electric Guitar forum.

Actually, I'm quite surprised he's resurfaced. What gives?
Quote by SenorSmiley
Look, all I'm saying is that if you're going to give someone advice make sure you have a clue.

If you have played a Jazzmaster you should know that the pickups don't look like P-90s or sound like P-90s.

It's not cool to mislead someone. Nobody knows everything but if someone asks for advise you're doing them a disservice by misleading them.

Give him a break. He just made a mistake. Jazzmaster pickups look pretty similar to p-90s to the untrained eye. It's a common misconception.
All I'm saying is that if someone asks for advice and you don't know and tell them something that's not true you do them a disservice.

It doesn't help the person asking
Quote by ECwomantoneman
Haha yeah, you weren't around when that guy began his reign of epic trolling in the Electric Guitar forum.

Actually, I'm quite surprised he's resurfaced. What gives?

It was a pretty long time ago he got banned.
Also we NOW after the epic struggle have proof of his gear. . .but now he's spouting about going to Berklee. . but i think berklee need a lot more than him to be honest, they have high expectations.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
It was a pretty long time ago he got banned.
Also we NOW after the epic struggle have proof of his gear. . .but now he's spouting about going to Berklee. . but i think berklee need a lot more than him to be honest, they have high expectations.

Berklee, accepting washed-out-ex-80's-hair-metal-semi-pros-who-are-in-their-40's-with-beer-bellies-and-still-sporting-tight-leathers? Doubt it somehow

If that is indeed his true form
oh well. i posted videos of my playing. rip away if you must. I'm not gonna fight with you people but would love to see what you al play like as well.

it's not hard to get into berklee btw. i wouldn't make it out to be anything other then what it is. i play how i play. as we all do.

i posted videos of me playing some of my gear. i don't have the best stuff like you all but that's what i got and how i play. oh well

and if you don't think there are no ex hair metal people @ berklee you don't know berklee
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Jun 15, 2008,