... in my opinion my tone is horrundous, ive tried messing about with my the tone controls on both my guitar's, this is what i have...

a strat copy all single coils

a super strat type guitar (?) with two humbuckers

like i said ive tried playing around with the tone controls on my guitar, ive tried messing around with the treble, middle and bass controls on my amp yet it still sounds pretty horrible. how can i describe it.. it sounds pretty flat/ thin even when i have it turned out full blast, is there anything i could be missing here?

the tone controls on my guitars, should they be turned upto 10 or somewhere in between depending on what pickups im using?

i can try and upload a mp3 if you's need?

also do you think it would be a good idea to have a sticky with diffrent amp settings like that famous artists use and settings that sound really good for i.e. classic rock, punk etc?

thanks
Have you tried messing with your technique?

People are going to now post and tell you what box or pickups to buy. Chances are you don't like what's coming out of your hands
What amp do you have?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
its prob best to make sure that the volume is fully up, and that the tone is pretty high up too.

maybe think about investing in a pedal to change things around a bit, or a multi effects unit.
there not that expensive.

another thing you could change is the string type, prossiby going up or down a guage could make it the way u want.

what kinda tone are you looking for????
amp? preamp?
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
thank's guys ill record some playing now *panics* haha

its one of those days where my hands dont want to function ... but ill try my best!

the pickups are just stock pickups, korean made im guessing, my strat pickups arent too bad i suppose, but it still just doesnt sound the way i want it.

my amps, one is a 10w practice amp that i got with my strat, and the other is gear4musc 15w practice amp with treble, middle and bass EQ, so im using that since it has more options to fine tune on.

i was actaully thinking of getting a zoom pedal and whitehorse 60w solid state modeling amp, thinking that would make it sound better, but i dont want to spend more money just yet incase it doesnt improve my tone.

yea im thinking it could be that my techinque is not nailed down yet, perhaps i could try a few diffrent things.

what would be best to hear the tone, chords or maybe just playing up and down a scale?
there your problem its your amp i can never get good tone with a little amp, but sometimes i like messing around with them
Gear

1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
get a better amp it will make a huge difference
Gear

1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
the problem with recording is that even a great tone can sound like **** if you record it badly.

i'd say your problem lies with the ****ty amps. go to a music store, bring your guitar and play on some good amps and see what you get.
do you play with your pick or with your fingers or both? are you confident when you play somthing or do you hesitate and play without good timing? do you listen to what you play or do you just play a bunch of notes?
the 10w practise amp you got with your strat probably sucks. Usually when you buy one of those starter packs that have both a guitar and an amp they both suck tonewise.

Why do you want to get a 60w amp? For practising a 15 or maybe a 30 watt amp is more then enough. What type of music do you play? If you're into pop, rock, indie and blues you could try a couple of 15w vox amps. If you're more of a heavy metal player you could take a look at the roland cube series.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
dont get a roland cube, the tone deteriates and it is very fuzzy, im replascing my cube 30x when i can, (wnat epi valve standard...but there HEAVY)but yeh new amp good idea...by the way encore guitars are **** there useless piecies of plastic, dont ever get another one.
uploaded a little blue scale i got from justin guitar, just went up and down it, it just sounds really flat and thin to me.

but like some of you said that could be my technique...

the reason i wanted teh 60 watt amp was becuase it had alot of features included with it and a foot switch to switch between diffrent amp models and effects, if they did a smaller amp with those features i would get it, but i havent seen any. it was only a £150 so i thought it would be better the **** i have now.

also i played that on my strat, ill upload a one with my other guitar.

::edit:: song is on my profile
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Jun 15, 2008,
it's the way you're playing the scale. put some feeling into it. if your playing is bland and flat your sound will be too.
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Yes your tone is indeed pretty bad. I would recommend a small tube amp combo. Your tone should improve DRASTICALLY.
This one is pretty good: http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_tiny_terror_combo.htm
You could have a look at Blackheart amps (the 5 watt (?) tube ones) or an Epiphone Valve Junior too. Another great and small tube combo is the Laney Lc15r.

very good advice!!