I am sorry if there is already a thread out there like this, if there is please direct me to it.

I recently learnt how to make seventh chords and arppegios. But I now want use them. My problem is HOW?

How do I put it into practice, like what seventh can I use in this key, and what sounds best here. please help

just to clarify
Maj 7 : 1 3 5 7
min 7 : 1 b3 5 b7
Dominant 7 : 1 3 5 b7

EDIT : when I say use them, I mean in a Jazz/Metal/Rock/Blues sense. I don't really need to know how they are used in other styles
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Only God can make a minor 2nd sound good.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Last edited by Genius_92 at Jun 15, 2008,
Well, I dont understand your question but you can use Dominant 7 chords in a 12 bar blues progression since they have that bluesy sound.

for example:
A7 D7 E7

I7 IV7 V7

EDIT: Oh I think I got it:

in a major key this chords ¨go together¨:

Imaj7 ii-7 iii-7 IVmaj7 V7 vi-7 viim7(b5)

for example in C major: Cmaj7 D-7 E-7 Fmaj7 G7 A-7 Bm7(b5)

in a minor key:

i-7 iim7(b5) IIImaj7 iv-7 v-7 VImaj7 VII7

for example in A minor: A-7 Bm7(b5) Cmaj7 D-7 E-7 Fmaj7 G7

to find out what chords are in what key I suggest you learn how to harmonize scales.

Hope Ive answered your question!
Last edited by MAMADERA2000 at Jun 15, 2008,
Jazz, Rock, Blues, and Metal are all very different.

I suggest you read up on some theory via the link in my sig.

I consider myself a metal guitarist, so I will address that:

A common progression is Em D C B7. The first three chords come from the E natural minor scale. The E natural minor scale contains a chord with B as the root, but it is Dm, not B major. However, the E HARMONIC minor scale contains a B7 chord, so B7 is substituted for Bm. The V7 - i progression reads nicely back to the root chord.

In metal, you're not going to play full minor, major, and 7th chords, so you will probably play E5 D5 C5 B5. However, when you solo over this, approach the powerchords as the full chords. That is, play E natural minor over the first three and then play E harmonic minor over the B5 chord. Over B5, you can play B7 arps.
lets say I am improvising in a Jazz/Metal/Rock/Blues style and I want to use some of these cool new arpeggios I know how to make wot chords do I use them over and stuff like that. where should they be placed. should I go into a section where the chord sequence is: A B C E A and just use A7 B7 C7 E7 A7 or should I do this A B C E7 A.

u know tips like that.

and thanks for the twelve bar blues thing.
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I suggest you read up on some theory via the link in my sig.

+1. Thats what would work best IMO.

also: USE THE MUSIC THEORY STICKY!!!!!!!
well I know about dominant 7ths like using them this way. V7 I like ending a song or chord sequence that way. but I know **** all about using maj 7 and min 7. Also I knew about 12 bar blues. using dominant 7th chords instead
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
the link in ur sig. bangoodcharlote I know most of the stuff. I am just short of knowledge on construction of chords and I hav no idea about circle of fifths. thank you and excuse me a sec while I endevour to improve myself
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Just start using them. They're just extension

Maybe like this. Just make a power chord x5..with the octive,
then just lift your pinky to play the b7. Pick the three notes with a sort of cleaner tone for the mellow part of the song and strum it for heavy part of the song.

V,V7,IVb7,IV

This way the progression is still in only 2 chords sort of.
It's easier to solo or improvise over.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 15, 2008,
Well......a maj7 chord is just a normal major chord but more ¨pretty¨ musically.
same goes for a min7 (or -7) chord, its a minor chord but more musical since you added the leading tone of its´ scale.

also: if that progression was in A minor it would be:
Amin Bhalfdim. (which is the same as m7(b5)) C Emin Amin

I suggest you specify whether the chords are major or minor.

so if those are the chords you can do this: if the chord is minor then you add the m7 and get a minor 7th chord.

If the chord is major then you could add the Maj7 and get a major 7th chord

If the chord corresponds to the seventh grade of the minor scale (the progression is in A minor) then it is a major chord, but if you add a Major 7th it would be a maj7 chord and the seventh chord of the scale is a dominant 7th chord. So you add a minor 7th and you get a dominant 7 chord.

The B half diminished chord is the second chord in the A minor scale. So it needs a m7(b5).

then you get this: Amin7 Bm7(b5) Cmaj7 Emin7 Amin7

Now your progression got more musical and no longer sounds like a pop tune.

You can use the A aeolian to improv over it or a D dorian would sound sweet I think.

Hey bangoodcharlot if any of these is wrong please tell me and ill correct it.
yeah...you can alter between aeolian and dorian because it sounds so similar.
The m6 of aeolian just gose to M6 to make it dorian...basisclly pulls toward
the b7.

That why it's so easy to play the phrygian dominate over the V7 chord
because the b7 gives you another note/arpeggio to hamonize with the chord.
This way u can play the b2 without sounding too bad even thou , in your
head you wrote a progression as a Maj key.
Last edited by Ordinary at Jun 15, 2008,
I didn't mean for it to be a pop tune I just made it up as an example. but thanks any way
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
so I have basically got to learn what it says in post #2 if I ever want to use seveth chords and arpeggios.
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Quote by Genius_92
so I have basically got to learn what it says in post #2 if I ever want to use seveth chords and arpeggios.

Yes
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok kool.

thanks guys
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Quote by MAMADERA2000
You can use the A aeolian to improv over it or a D dorian would sound sweet I think.
If you're confused by what I'm about to say, please search MT for discussions of modes by Archeo Avis and me.

If you play "D Dorian" over that progression, it's simply A Natural Minor; it isn't D Dorian.

Aside from that, your post is correct, except you can call the chord Bm7b5; writing is as Bm7(b5) is unnecessary.