And thinking and thinking....
And I could not come up with anything remotely interesting or song-like to actually write about and come up with something decent.
I am obsessed with guitar, hate school, hate my education, have had one succesful relationship, and fap almost all day long...lols...
So the bottom of the line is, what is there for me to write about, when my life is dull and pretty much like everyone elses??

I could write 'woe is me' songs, but hey, thats been done millions of times before.

I guess my question is how do i get ideas?

EDIT: oh and plus i got a D for english...
Last edited by Lum at Jun 15, 2008,
first of all school is awsome, to learn higher education is fun for me im 29 and still love to learn, that includes guitar, theory, philosophy and esoteric/religion and so on. so if you like guitar you want to get good thats learning, try to look at it that way, it help your music.

second, write about your inner life, thing you dont talk to people about , you ideas,your dreams, your fears, truthfulness brings talent.
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
You don't have to write anything that's related to your current situation. The simplest thing to do at this point would be to let a melody work for you until you can develop it into a song, and once you do, you'll be on your way to allow more to flow.
I hope you are not going to write a song about how hard it is to write a song.
A'la "WRITER AT THE DESK
A PEN IN HIS HAND
HE PLAYS SCRABBLE ON HIS CHEST
AND NOW HE IS DEAD
", please no.

But seriously, just write about what you do want. And the first song is always the hardest, don't worry. (Hell, even I haven't written a song yet!)
Write about a cat or anything you see. Or you could write about something you don't see.
Ok,
But see what, actually no, urmm i mean, if i go for a walk and step in dogs..t that would hardly make a decent song would it?

And i hate being taught stuff, the education system is terrible, its all learning for exams and memorising figures.... Ive got an exam coming up today and all i have to know is about 10 formulas....

Plus when you study music at school, its all mozart and classical stuff, and so why did you put that minor 7th chord there? Well! it sounded good!
I mean learning about mozart and beethoven's life, thats all good an everything but what if I want to play ROCK GUITAR....

but I'm not going to get in a debate about that! So anyone have any more ideas about where to get ideas....
Quote by Lum
Ok,
But see what, actually no, urmm i mean, if i go for a walk and step in dogs..t that would hardly make a decent song would it?

And i hate being taught stuff, the education system is terrible, its all learning for exams and memorising figures.... Ive got an exam coming up today and all i have to know is about 10 formulas....

Plus when you study music at school, its all mozart and classical stuff, and so why did you put that minor 7th chord there? Well! it sounded good!
I mean learning about mozart and beethoven's life, thats all good an everything but what if I want to play ROCK GUITAR....

but I'm not going to get in a debate about that! So anyone have any more ideas about where to get ideas....

Hey, the music they teach in my school sucks too, although I love the rest of the subjects xD. They dont teach us music theory at all and let us study classical and renaissance era music. I once asked why not teach us some jazz and they said "no its not at your level yet". ****ers.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Ok,

You don't understand me.

See past your everyday routine. I don't give a **** about your education system and most people listening to a song won't either. You need to go take a bus into a part of town you don't know and get lost, talk to people, look around, find interesting things, get ****faced, walk home, I don't care, but do something different.

Just get off the computer, a screen won't give you ideas.
^ I agree, I go fishing a lot and I always have a pad of paper and a pen with me. Nature is the best resource for inspiration, even if what you're writing has nothing to do with nature.

Write about what you care about, not about what you dislike or what you are slightly bothered by.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
Last edited by Billyjson at Jun 16, 2008,
hmmmm I see, and its not like I sit here all day.... I'm no myspace *****...
I do get out, but just doesnt seem like theres anything interesting anywhere...
create something.
build your words like literal architecture.

don't worry about interesting anyone else.
interest yourself.
ask yourself the same questions you're asking everyone else.
when you come up with your own answers;
then let the world expose and exploit them and tell some other guy exactly what they're telling you right now.

originality is key;
unlock yourself.
There's a road that leads to the end of all suffering. You should take it.

- Jericho Caine

secret, aaaaagent maaan.
secret, aaaaagent maaan.
^ I dont think that really made sense....
Can you explain?
Ask yourself WHY you can't find anything interesting around.

That is what he means. Question yourself and then write about that, just write for christs sake, put your pen to paper or your fingers to the keyboard and unlock yoru inner writer. I don't know about you but I have this switch pretty much that I can flick and just start writing. I only use it for poetry, but yeah.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Lum, the truth no one is willing to admit is that inspiration can never be found. It either comes to you, or it does not. Not a single being has power to conjure inspiration.
^yes. they do.
if inspiration just "came" to you, then what in the hell would any writer ever work for?
there would be no found progress in talent, indentions in the historical blueprints of literature, etc. etc. etc.

some people know where to find it; others don't.
and that's exactly what perfectly separates and balances art and literature from the culturless primal exasperation that is society.
There's a road that leads to the end of all suffering. You should take it.

- Jericho Caine

secret, aaaaagent maaan.
secret, aaaaagent maaan.
beautiful lliterary summery, kent. you're way with words is quite disgusting, stop it, it courses me to vibrate in the most peculiar fashions.

to return to the topic at hand i must echo ottavist's comments to the extent that i feel i am slowly becoming a cave, filled with nothing but the ancient scribblings of forgotten tribes and the men who died too soon.

inspiration can be found three roads down, fourth left on the right.

hope that helps.
Quote by tagyoureit
Not a single being has power to conjure inspiration.

The writer's a charmer,
our thoughts, a snake.
the minds are baskets
so heavy they might break

poet plays a pen
inspiring the dance
guiding us toward
a wordly romance.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It took me a while to actually write my first lyrics. I think the key is to get out of your head the idea that what you first write will be awe-inspiring. Chances are good that it won't be. Sit down and actually listen to some lyrics and analyze them. Many times, the lyrics people write don't mean anything. Take "Stairway to Heaven" for example... Theories about satanic verses aside, the lyrics don't amount to much (IMO), but yet, the song is one of the most popular songs of our time. I listened to one of my friend's band play one night and really listened to the words. The weren't great, but the songs got a response. They wrote about what they knew or what they would like the world to be like.

If you are looking for inspiration, I would suggest listening to some Bob Dylan. He's the best songwriter of our time, if you ask me.
For me, inspiring artists are;

Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes)
He just knows what he's doing, the new age Bob Dylan he's been called a few times. Get "Fevers And Mirrors" or "Lifted, or The Stories In The Soil (Keep Your Ear To the Ground)

Max Bemis (Say Anything)
Lyrically to the point and musically challenging. He writes blatantly without it sounding forced and boring. Get "... Is A Real Boy".

Andrew McMahon (Jack's Mannequin)
Sounds kind of like pop music and you may have heard of it but it's got this amazing depth to it. Get "Everything In Transit".

Taking Back Sunday
I'm not sure what it is about these guys, maybe their ability to make one line mean about 600 different things but my writing style changes EVERY TIME I listen to them. I prefer "Where You Want To Be" but "Louder Now" is also good.

Jesse Lacey (Brand New)
The guys just a genius, listen to it and you'll understand. Get "Deja Entendu" to start and then move on to "The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me". "Your Favourite Weapon" is just straight up pop-punk really, the other two albums are diverse, it's good.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
^^McMahon is also of the now-defunct "Something Corporate".

Fun fact of the day aside, as others said: Either you get inspired or you don't. Some people use writing to get out feelings/experiences/etc, and that's fine. Some people don't, and that's also fine. It seems to me like you're one of the latter, so if you force yourself to write something when your hearts not in it, well....it's going to sound forced.
I owe a ton of people critiques.

If you're one of them, please PM me.

I have trouble keeping track.
Quote by Fly, Marlowe
^^McMahon is also of the now-defunct "Something Corporate".

Fun fact of the day aside, as others said: Either you get inspired or you don't. Some people use writing to get out feelings/experiences/etc, and that's fine. Some people don't, and that's also fine. It seems to me like you're one of the latter, so if you force yourself to write something when your hearts not in it, well....it's going to sound forced.

I know McMahon is from Something Corporate however I don't think that SoCo is as good lyrically as Jack's Mannequin that's why I left it out (Yes, i know Andrew wrote for both but I still think JM is better).

SECONDLY:

As to what you said Fly, you're right. I'm one of the former, and my writers blocks happen when i feel that my life/feelings/experiences aren't all that interesting. So it could be that too.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Last edited by Auals at Jun 22, 2008,