I've had my Randall RG50TC for a few years now and I'm starting to feel like it's getting on a bit- i.e, I needs a new amp!

I'm looking for a not-so-pricey (about £500 max) valve combo that can handle grungey stuff. I'll be using a modded Squier Jagmaster (Duncan Distortion in bridge, Duncan Phat Cat in neck, Graphtech nut and ferraglide saddles, locking tuners), a Boss DS-1 and an EHX Small Clone. Something portable and ballsy would be nice, and it's got to handle mid-size gigs- I'll be mic'ed up at larger shows anyway. Take into account that it's got to be small enough to fit into my Vauxhall Corsa, but still loud enough to rock!

Also, it'll be helpful if you can take into account that I live in the UK, which means that different amps are differently priced here!
Peavey Valveking, all the wattage you'll ever need, all tube and cheap as chips
ohai little sig.
Valveking isn't really an upgrade from the RG50TC...

maybe some sort of Engl Combo? Not sure how they do for grunge though.

500 pounds = ~$1000?

edit: ah nvm... cheapest engl combo is $1099
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Jun 15, 2008,
No idea, I don't really keep up with Orange I just know that they are making Tiny Terror combo.

Edit: It will probably be in your price range though.

another edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq8IshRNuis
sounds fantastic
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Jun 15, 2008,
I'd be concerned about using a 15 watter for gigs, I think you'd need about 30 or so.

Didn't you switch to bass for a while?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I did! I was the bassist for Sweet Amber for a while. All the bass gear I bought is now being used by my bassist/girlfriend in my new band The Zebradolls.

Are there any other valve combos anyone would suggest for grungey stuff? I've always got the pedal for distortion, so a good clean that can get slightly gritty is a priority- an awesome drive channel is a bonus.
i don't play too much grunge, but i'd just be concerned that your price range might not afford too much of an upgrade. orange rocker 30 perhaps (assuming it does the tones you want), but it's more like £550-£600.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by timi_hendrix
I'd be concerned about using a 15 watter for gigs, I think you'd need about 30 or so.

Didn't you switch to bass for a while?

15w for gigs is plenty.

Last night I ran my TT at half volume, on the 7watt setting and got told to turn down.

That was competeing against a bass, another guitar and drums.

People underestimate the volume of the TT.
I've got no good advice regarding a new amp, but should you decide to sell the Randall please let me know....
It's been HEAVILY gigged and needs a valve change, but it'd put some more money in the amp pot. Gimme a message. =)

The Rocker 30 seems ideal!
make sure to try it though, because as i said i don't play grunge.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?