Pieces of plastic that protect the body from your strumming. A stratocaster pickguard for example is that big white piece of plastic on the body.

Otherwise known as Scratch Plates.
ok first of all dumest question EVER!!!!! the pick gaurd is the plate were the pick-ups,volume&and tone nob are,second it protects the paint on your guitar from your pick hense the name pick GAURD
not a fan of guards, took mine off of my les paul, but fender you cant take it off its part of the guitar
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by saitenslayer
ok first of all dumest question EVER!!!!! the pick gaurd is the plate were the pick-ups,volume&and tone nob are,second it protects the paint on your guitar from your pick hense the name pick GAURD

you say its dumb but look at you, you spell dumbest without a b and guard incorrectly kid.
Quote by saitenslayer

Dude, don't be a prick, you'll get yourself banned!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by saitenslayer

lol i start laughing when i saw this reply. funny
Quote by saitenslayer
Ok, first of all: dumbest question EVER!!!!! The pick guard is the plate where the pick-ups, volume and tone knob are; second it protects the paint on your guitar from your pick, hence the name pick GUARD

Allow me to get that for you...

But yeah, it basically just shields against scratching, and keeps your electronic/pickups in place and what not. Good times.