Hey everyone, I was tlaking about me getting my luithier guitar, i finally went through with the pup choices, but first of all heres a little overview

Body will be PRS'ish solid mahogany (oversized to fit with me) with a maple top
mahogany neck 24 fret rosewood fingerboard
2 tone 2 volume
tom bridge to string through body ( using ferrules)

alright now for the pups, i wanted versatility, meaning from, nice cleans, to nic emetal lead possibility

So using th H H settup

Neck - seynour duncan alnico 2 with coil split

Bridge - Dimarzio D-Activator

also I got an EMG afterburner added in :P I lvoe those things, one of my friend has it, and its bassically, a TS to a fuzz right on the push pull pot
for those who dont know about it, its a push pull pot, 0-20DB gain boost
So i wanted to know what do you think of the overall choice :P

thanks

P.S ill be plying this through a pod xt live, a TS 9 tube screamer and a fender deluxe reverb :P
Last edited by ferguson911 at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
Have you considered Bareknuckles?

I have but my luithier couldnt get a hold of them ......i dont know bareknucles much, have heard of them though. Prefered those model though :P
If you're using an afterburner, choose a lighter bridge pickup, like the SD JB, or PAF Pro. A Tone Zone would also be a good choice.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
If you're using an afterburner, choose a lighter bridge pickup, like the SD JB, or PAF Pro. A Tone Zone would also be a good choice.

Why would i choose lighter in the bridge?

I was mainly thinking of using it as a boost when im playing clean on my neck PUP, and as a solo boost when im playing the bridge
Quote by ferguson911
Why would i choose lighter in the bridge?

I was mainly thinking of using it as a boost when im playing clean on my neck PUP, and as a solo boost when im playing the bridge

Because you have the afterburner? It doesn't matter what you were thinking of using it for, the fact that it's there at all means there's no reason to get a ridiculously hot bridge pickup. You'd be better off with something like a Duncan Custom or Dimarzio Norton. Neckwise the 59 is probably a better bet than the Alnico Pro II which will get kind of mushy at higher gain levels.

Bareknuckles would be much better though, there's no point saying "you'd prefer these models" just because that's what you've decided you like the idea of. It's not like they're hard to get hold of - go to BK website, order pickups.

If you're going to be spending that kind of money then you might as well do it right...BK's are a world apart from the standard Dimarzio and Duncan models.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 15, 2008,
^ indeed. and if your luthier truly can't get them, there are plenty of other boutique pickups available which are also well-regarded.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would have gone with

Bridge - Dimarzio Drop Sonic
Neck - Dimarzio Air Norton
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ indeed. and if your luthier truly can't get them, there are plenty of other boutique pickups available which are also well-regarded.

Im sure if I asked he could fget them, but its not what im truly looking for :S
no worries, it's your guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no worries, it's your guitar.

My initial question was if this choice of pups give me a certain versatility :P
Quote by ferguson911
My initial question was if this choice of pups give me a certain versatility :P

And my response is "not really".

You're trying too hard with 2 extremes...a very soft, low output pickup in the neck and a very high output, ceramic pickup in the bridge. Putting 2 wildly different pickups in your guitar doesn't actually equate to versatility...on the contrary. You'll get a tone suitable for metal from the bridge pickup and a tone that works well for soft cleans and low gain stuff in the neck. However, you've basically got nothing inbetween and whichever pickup you're using you'll struggle to get anything useful from the other one.

You'd have been far better with an Alnico 5 magnet in the neck and a lower output ceramic or Alnico 5 pickup in the bridge. Like people have said, with the afterburner on board there's no reason whatsoever to go for something as hot as the D-Activator in the bridge. As far as the neck goes, yes the afterburner will boost the output but it's not going to do anything about the soft attack or spongy low-end which are unsuitable for higher gain, more distorted tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

You're trying too hard with 2 extremes...a very soft, low output pickup in the neck and a very high output, ceramic pickup in the bridge. Putting 2 wildly different pickups in your guitar doesn't actually equate to versatility...on the contrary. You'll get a tone suitable for metal from the bridge pickup and a tone that works well for soft cleans and low gain stuff in the neck. However, you've basically got nothing inbetween and whichever pickup you're using you'll struggle to get anything useful from the other one.

You'd have been far better with an Alnico 5 magnet in the neck and a lower output ceramic or Alnico 5 pickup in the bridge. Like people have said, with the afterburner on board there's no reason whatsoever to go for something as hot as the D-Activator in the bridge. As far as the neck goes, yes the afterburner will boost the output but it's not going to do anything about the soft attack or spongy low-end which are unsuitable for higher gain, more distorted tones.

So basically my afterburner will only be useful for the neck pup?

meaning i dont really need ti for the bridge?
Quote by steven seagull

agreed.

Quote by ferguson911

i don't want to put words in mark's mouth, but i think he meant the exact opposite...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ferguson911

No, meaning it will be of limited use for the neck pickup, but pretty much pointless for the bridge.

Quote by Dave Mc
i don't want to put words in mark's mouth, but i think he meant the exact opposite...

Agreed - although if you've got any cake it wouldn't go amiss...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Horlicks
Breed in the neck, don't know about the bridge

Agreed and maybe an Evolution in the bridge.
Quote by steven seagull
Agreed - although if you've got any cake it wouldn't go amiss...

i'm fresh out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by troy88
Agreed and maybe an Evolution in the bridge.

Thats probably not the tone i was looking for, since the alnico 2's have a nice tone off the dot occording to me, and i have tried evolution and never liked them ( not my type of sound sadly)

i agree the d activator might be a little overkill, but i was loooking for both extremes:P truly
Last edited by ferguson911 at Jun 15, 2008,
^why did you bring this to the board if you didn't really want advise?
Not taking any online orders.
^ I agree with him slightly. I have evos and they don't have any oomph for metal.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^why did you bring this to the board if you didn't really want advise?

well now I have a problem :P

The alnico 2 pro is backordered for 6-8 weeks

so i need to find something else,

i was thing SD Distortion ( or something the like for the neck)

Now is where the advice should come in :P

i have a high output bridge

and i need to now for the neck :P
Quote by Horlicks
Look at Bareknuckles, seriously

Which model and where can i find them

is shipping usually long with them? because i need them for the 2nd week of july
Look at a Nailbomb bridge and a stormy monday neck. The Nailbomb will do great metal leads and rhythm and the stormy is great for cleans but can do higher gain too.
Quote by Horlicks
Look at a Nailbomb bridge and a stormy monday neck. The Nailbomb will do great metal leads and rhythm and the stormy is great for cleans but can do higher gain too.

I'm looking at the neck only

as i am leaving the d_activator in the bridge
Ah, well look at the stormy monday and cold sweat for the neck. The cold sweat would be more suitable if you are going to do overdrive more but does not have as warm cleans IIRC. The Stormy Monday is more suited to the clean side of things