Just wondering what you guys would recomend to take care of my new martin, apparently not using polishes is best, just a damp warm cloth i have been told would you agree?

my problem is what to use cleaning the finger board and frets? is it again just wipe them down after use? or will the FAST FRET application i have work fine?
its an ebony fingerboard, a Martin 00-18V
thanks any help would be appreciated
I have a very old D-28 myself... Enjoy your new guitar! In response to your question, just get a standard Martin cleaning kit (cleaning stuff for both fingerboards and bodies) and that should do the trick. I have some very important advice for you, however; USE A HUMIDIFIER. Not doing so is a death sentence for your guitar. Cheers.
You can use a damp cloth for the fingerboard as well. Just give it a solid rub and it'll be good. I try to avoid using cleaners in general. Clean every half a year or so and you'll be good to go. Grats on the new guitar btw.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
thanks guys, why is the humidifier so important then? didn't think we were short of humidity in the uk lol

i was thinking just a martin cloth one for the body and one for the strings and just have it warm and damp.

what humidifiers would you recomend then?
You really don't need a humidifier unless your guitar is living in a drier environment. Get an instrument that measures relative humidity and place that where your guitar is. If it is between 45-55% then its fine.

If its lower than that you need to add moisture, which is where a humidifier comes in. Just check on musicians friend for a planet waves humidifier or something.

If its higher than 55-60% than you need to get rid of some moisture. To do this you can just use some silica gel, the stuff that sometimes comes in little packets in new shoes.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
ahh righty, will do that, tbh didnt think i needed one because the area my guitar travels or will be travelling is UK only and when not in use it stays in its case so its not being exposed to the house conditions. will get one of those meausrer things.

so to sum it up -
Damp martin or any microfiber cloth to clean the body using no polishes.
What do you think of fast fret for strings?
And a damp cloth for for the fret board cleaning when it needs done? would you recomend lemon oil?
thanks again!
I use lemon oil to condition my fretboards about twice a year or so. Just cover the fretboard with it and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and wipe off the excess. In between, I find that wiping the strings every time after I play keeps the fretboard pretty clean -- just use a lint-free cloth. And I wouldn't recommend using a water-dampend cloth on unfinished wood, you run the risk of raising the grain, but it is ok to use it on the body of your guitar. I've never used fast fret, but I'm sure it's okay. You don't really need string cleaner if you change your strings often. but if you want to make them last it's good to use.
Also, make sure you dampen the cloth, not the guitar. You'd be surprised how many people try to dampen their guitar body. It should be a VERY small amount of water. Enough to almost vapourize off the guitar on its own.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
thanks for your help guys, appreciate it. anyone with advice on fast fret feel free to reply also!