Page 1 of 3
You know how you can pretty much tell when a song was made. The 80s have them songs with the big drum sounds, cheesy synths, reverb in everything, more staccato rhythms, etc... And so on with the past decades as far as recordings of music go. It's really hard to pinpoint the musical elements that make music from different decades sound unique, it's just comes natural after listening to music over the ears. You can hear a song you never heard of, and know within 5 seconds around which year it was possibly made. Just like spotting cars.

So what elements in the 90s make it unique, and what will this decade be remembered for. I know there are so many genres and styles of music, which makes it very difficult to generalize.
The 90s has Grunge and half-decent pop singers. 00s have crappy indie and nu-metal bands with talentless pop singers.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
The 90s are easier to look back and comment on, the 00s are still with us and haunting us everyday.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
90s = pop
00s = rap/hip hop
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
90's had a greater number of tolerable mainstream bands stuff. Was still mostly crap, though. But there are a couple mainstream bands from 00s that kick the crap out of anything from the 90s, like The White Stripes.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
The 90s were better, with exception to a few newer bands that recently came out, but the majority just suck nowadays in my opinion.
you must be too young to remember how dreadful the music really was a decade ago
Quote by Martindecorum
i cant wait for the 00 era to end, useless talent 90% of it was

at least in the 90 and before i could say yeah that does sound not to bad but now its just mono tone indie singers

Mono tone indie singers?

Listen to some good indie before you make judgements, nig.
most modern music makes me morbid
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Quote by GuitarHero0715
Mono tone indie singers?

Listen to some good indie before you make judgements, nig.

could u please refer me to a good band then, far as ive heard they just bore me to death and each riff from any of the songs could be joined in a clusterf*** of mega
Quote by Sammy2K7
most modern music makes me morbid

morbid
(adj) : of, or relating to disease; unhealthy or unwholesome, especially psychologically

lol wut
Quote by Spitz13
90s = Best Musical Era ever (imo)
00s = Mediocre, only because there are still 90s bands leftover
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
The 90s had the peak of dance music and rap music. Also had some of the best "rock" bands.

90s is the best music decade in my opinion.
Quote by Kartman
90s = Best Musical Era ever (imo)
00s = Mediocre, only because there are still 90s bands leftover

Look beyond the mainstream. There are plenty of 00s bands you would like, going my your profile.
Quote by Spitz13
90s aped the 60s (Brit Pop=Beatles,Kinks etc rehashed) and 00s trying to do 70s/80s again (Kaiser chiefs = the smiths, killers using 80s synths). By the 2030s we will acually be listening to exactly the same music as we are now.
Quote by smewings
90s aped the 60s (Brit Pop=Beatles,Kinks etc rehashed) and 00s trying to do 70s/80s again (Kaiser chiefs = the smiths, killers using 80s synths). By the 2030s we will acually be listening to exactly the same music as we are now.

yeah true, but NOT.... in fact, no way near as good,
well im guessing that he means mainstream music because that is what makes the era known. i liked the 90's music more because it was a period when music was shifting from all that corny 80's stuff (no all was corny im just generalizing). like nirvana, who i am not a fan of but have much respect for. there are no bands that have come out like the nirvana's. the RATM's, even faith no more. i like some of todays hip hop though, like lupe fiasco, kanye west. bbut name a band that has come out recently that has made an impact...
90's had less whiny teenagers who fail musically and less rap music. rap had a hold in the late 90's though and has basically taken over popular music for the 2000's imo.

read the article about gene simmons bashing radiohead on the front page to see my opinion on modern music (namely the "go out there and blow **** up" part)
Music in the last couple of decades has become such a wide spread of different genres, it's more difficult to pick out an overriding theme.

However, the 90s was all about alt/grunge, britpop, older rap, manufactured bubblegum pop, and pop-punk (tell me if I missed anything, which I think I must have). The underground scene spawned (original, hardcore) emo, some darker metal bands, and... Oh, I don't know. Electronic acts got a bit bigger, which carried on into this decade.

I reckon the 00s will be remembered for a magnitude of genres. Electronic music; mainstream "indie"-rock (which is more of a Britpop revival than anything); crossover alternative rock music (Muse, MSI, etc.); mainstream emo (ie. darker, angrier pop-punk); mostly crap mainstream hip hop; etc...

I'm kinda pissed that I missed the 90s, tbh...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Jun 15, 2008,
I guess you guys skipped the whole punk and hardcore bands.
Quote by SupremeACL
90s = pop
00s = rap/hip hop

there was still hip hop back then. it had a different sound(and i say a lot better). im not really into rap but 00's rap cant compare to the old school hip hop in the 90's. they were more original back then i think. today i think its more about making money and a catchy song....its not really about anything. and thats not just rap actually....
Quote by Louisio
I guess you guys skipped the whole punk and hardcore bands.

Read my post above yours. I mentioned some hardcore. There were so many different things going on at once though that it's hard to really pin one thing down as the main scene.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I guess the 00s might be remembered for when musical genres like 'crunk' or whatever were made up, when really they stood for 'sh*te'
The best hardcore in the 90s was hardcore dance.

Dance really made its impact in the 90s, and is one of the biggest influences on music ever.
Well, you would have to completely generalise music from both decades to find musical similiarities.

The only comparison you could make would be in the quality of the recording and music technology.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by DanRev
The best hardcore in the 90s was hardcore dance.

Dance really made its impact in the 90s, and is one of the biggest influences on music ever.

oonce
Quote by Spitz13
I'd say the main difference is the decade they were recorded in.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
the problem is that most of the nineties were 10 years ago, and all that has survived is the decent stuff. my friend commented once that the 70's must have been great since none of the rock from that time sucks. my dad replied "you didn't live in the 70's. there was music that sucked, but it's all died since then." he also mentioned that a lot of classics, like Barracuda, were overkilled on the radio.
Quote by dudius
the problem is that most of the nineties were 10 years ago, and all that has survived is the decent stuff. my friend commented once that the 70's must have been great since none of the rock from that time sucks. my dad replied "you didn't live in the 70's. there was music that sucked, but it's all died since then." he also mentioned that a lot of classics, like Barracuda, were overkilled on the radio.

This is a problem I often point out when people say "modern music sux" but if you're talking about what will be remembered in generations to come, then I don't think there's any problem.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
People seem to forget all about this:

The second half of the 90s was dominated by Boy Bands and Bubblegum Divas. Why do these never get any mention? Because no one remembers them. The good live on, the crap dies, is buried and forgotten. I bet you in 10 years you'll look back at all the good bands now and call this a good era once all the crap is forgotten.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by electr8r
You know how you can pretty much tell when a song was made. The 80s have them songs with the big drum sounds, cheesy synths, reverb in everything, more staccato rhythms, etc... And so on with the past decades as far as recordings of music go. It's really hard to pinpoint the musical elements that make music from different decades sound unique, it's just comes natural after listening to music over the ears. You can hear a song you never heard of, and know within 5 seconds around which year it was possibly made. Just like spotting cars.

So what elements in the 90s make it unique, and what will this decade be remembered for. I know there are so many genres and styles of music, which makes it very difficult to generalize.

Of course that's an entirely mainstream perspective.. the 80s were also the start of modern hard rock (Ozzy's solo work, Vai, Satch, etc), birthed hardcore punk and the lesser known second wave of British punk! Jazz and blues were in decline but overall had grown more eclectic and relied of virtuosity more than ever.
Quote by Holy.
90's were the ****.

00's is just crap.

The 00s are awesome, particularly if you're open to a few different genres and look past the mainstream.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
the 90's had Hanson, so that decade obviously wins
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

90's music had balls. Pure emotion, edgy powerful guitar riffs, and in my opinion the best vocalists of all time (Staley, Vedder, Cornell, Weiland, Cobain etc.)

00's music is watered down 90's music. It's poppy, lacks the power and emotion, and the vocalists suck balls.

If you can't tell the difference between grunge and 'post grunge' then there's something wrong with you.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I

The Sky Is The Limit
Quote by SleightOfHand
90's music had balls. Pure emotion, edgy powerful guitar riffs, and in my opinion the best vocalists of all time (Staley, Vedder, Cornell, Weiland, Cobain etc.)

00's music is watered down 90's music. It's poppy, lacks the power and emotion, and the vocalists suck balls.

If you can't tell the difference between grunge and 'post grunge' then there's something wrong with you.

What he said.
Quote by Martindecorum
could u please refer me to a good band then, far as ive heard they just bore me to death and each riff from any of the songs could be joined in a clusterf*** of mega

Hey man,
Try out Death Cab For Cutie. They may be on a major label now, but they still have that Indie thing.

Then I also like The Decemberists, their new album, The Crane Wife, is amazing.
Page 1 of 3