I just dug out my old squier affinity strat that i've been meaning to mod for ages. Previously i was trying to over-complicate things, so i'm gonna try and keep it as simple as possible:

I'm planning on wiring the pickups in series, as opposed to parallel, and using 3 push/pull pots - the volume pulled to bring in the bridge pickup on settings which its not normally in use, to get all pickup combinations, and pulling the 2 tone pots will reverse the phase of their respective pickups. So its not that complex, but it'll give me a good variety of different tones.

I'm also interested in doing that mod where you put some sort of metal underneath the bridge pickup of a strat to give it a more thumpy bass response. Can someone explain that? I'm hoping to get a thick tone from the bridge pickup thats kind of like a humbucker in the way of frequency response, but i want to maintain the single-coil twangyness and dynamics. Can this do it? or will i need a different type of pickup, maybe a single-coil sized humbucker? I don't want anything to much higher output than the middle and neck, however.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
I just dug out my old squier affinity strat that i've been meaning to mod for ages. Previously i was trying to over-complicate things, so i'm gonna try and keep it as simple as possible:

I'm planning on wiring the pickups in series, as opposed to parallel, and using 3 push/pull pots - the volume pulled to bring in the bridge pickup on settings which its not normally in use, to get all pickup combinations, and pulling the 2 tone pots will reverse the phase of their respective pickups. So its not that complex, but it'll give me a good variety of different tones.

I'm also interested in doing that mod where you put some sort of metal underneath the bridge pickup of a strat to give it a more thumpy bass response. Can someone explain that? I'm hoping to get a thick tone from the bridge pickup thats kind of like a humbucker in the way of frequency response, but i want to maintain the single-coil twangyness and dynamics. Can this do it? or will i need a different type of pickup, maybe a single-coil sized humbucker? I don't want anything to much higher output than the middle and neck, however.

Wait for or PM CorduroyEW ... right up his alley.

So what do you plan for the finish? Leave it alone (boring) or give it some unique paint job?

Quote by Ippon
Wait for or PM CorduroyEW ... right up his alley.

So what do you plan for the finish? Leave it alone (boring) or give it some unique paint job?

i like the vintage sunburst finish, but i'm probably gonna put a pearl pickguard on it as opposed to the cheap looking plain white one. its not really an appearance modification though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.