Recently I've been kind of down about my Strat. It has a poly body, and it'll never wear in the same way as the pre CBS-Fenders with nitro finishes did. And yeah, I really like the look of a well played Strat. So now to my question, is there any place where I can buy three tone sunburst stratocaster bodies, 60's style, with a nitro finish?

Any place similiar to http://www.revelatorguitarworks.com/index.html?
Swedish places would be awesome, but there doesn't seem to be any of them around here. So tips about places that export is welcome.

No, I'm not looking for a fake relic job or something like that, maybe some slight wear, but the priority is that it WILL wear as an old Strat would. And no, I don't want a Highway One body. :P
Custom PRS-style guitar
'62 reissue Fender Stratocaster
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
why not learn how to refinish a body and do it yourself, it'll be damn cheaper than buying a whole new body
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Chances
Recently I've been kind of down about my Strat. It has a poly body, and it'll never wear in the same way as the pre CBS-Fenders with nitro finishes did. And yeah, I really like the look of a well played Strat. So now to my question, is there any place where I can buy three tone sunburst stratocaster bodies, 60's style, with a nitro finish?

Any place similiar to http://www.revelatorguitarworks.com/index.html?
Swedish places would be awesome, but there doesn't seem to be any of them around here. So tips about places that export is welcome.

No, I'm not looking for a fake relic job or something like that, maybe some slight wear, but the priority is that it WILL wear as an old Strat would. And no, I don't want a Highway One body. :P

They don't do a three tone burst but they have a bunch of other colours http://www.kavanaghcustoms.co.uk/
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by The red Strat.
the '62 fender strats do have nitro lacquer.

Well, I put my stratocaster together by buying parts. The neck for instance, is Japanese (it was the neck that felt most comfortable). But I stayed true to the original specs, like 7,25 radius and so on (although I did put a pickup blender in there :P). But I'm not SURE that my body is nitro. Is there any easy way to see if it is?

http://www.kavanaghcustoms.co.uk/ is the kind of place I'm looking for. I'd like some relicing to be involved though, and anything but three tone sunbursts won't do. But thanks, I appreciate the tip!

Any place that sells real old strat bodies that doesn't cost more than small countries BNP (yeah right)? :P
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
what guitar is the body from ?

you should be able to see a difference between your body and another with a poly finish. i don't know how to describe it, but you'll see it. if you don't have the option to compare it to another body, put it in one of those guitar stands with rubber foam. if you see a chemical reaction, it's nitro for sure. if you don't see anything, it's poly.
beware though, as i said, it's a chemical reaction
Quote by The red Strat.
what guitar is the body from ?

I don't know.
That's how I got into this mess. :S
The finish has always seemed a bit... thick to me. Also, is the chemical reaction instant? I assume it takes some time, because nothing happened when I let it stand in the rubber foamed stand for, erhm... a few seconds. :P

What is it supposed to look like?
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
I don't know.
That's how I got into this mess. :S
The finish has always seemed a bit... thick to me. Also, is the chemical reaction instant? I assume it takes some time, because nothing happened when I let it stand in the rubber foamed stand for, erhm... a few seconds. :P

What is it supposed to look like?

, it doesn't happen instantly.
give this a read: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=239107
note that it's permanent though !
i don't know any other methods to find out if it's nitro, perhaps someone else will come along that does.

AHA , can you see the wood grain well/clearly ?
Quote by The red Strat.
, it doesn't happen instantly.
give this a read: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=239107
note that it's permanent though !
i don't know any other methods to find out if it's nitro, perhaps someone else will come along that does.

AHA , can you see the wood grain well/clearly ?

....so that's what happened to the white hollowbody my father built.

I can see the grain somewhat clear, under some lights it's really clear, but under others it's not even that yellow in the "yellow part" (although that's because of our terrible lamps :P)
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
And no, I don't want a Highway One body. :P

I've heard that they're bad, like woodwise, and they're routed for the option of humbuckers (which those made in the 60's were not).
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
....so that's what happened to the white hollowbody my father built.

I can see the grain somewhat clear, under some lights it's really clear, but under others it's not even that yellow in the "yellow part" (although that's because of our terrible lamps :P)

... there's no yellow in a sunburst

can you take a high res picture ? perhaps i could be able to tell if it's nitro.
Well, the "middle" part then. :P

I'll see what I can do about a picture.
Either I'll get one really soon or it'll take untill tomorrow. :P
Thank you for being so helpful!
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by metalman89
Buy a Fender Highway One body on eBay.

Quote by Chances
I've heard that they're bad, like woodwise, and they're routed for the option of humbuckers (which those made in the 60's were not).

I wouldnt trade my highway for anything its a dream to play... I have a old '62 MIJ non export jobby thats nitro and plays beautifully but the highway is still my goto guitar... guess I was lucky with it...
Meh, I just found out that my body has a poly finish.
I suppose I was kind of... ripped off.

Well, anyway, back to my original question, how would I go about finding a nitro body? Preferably slightly worn. :P

And Johntb, I'm happy you like your Highway One Although I'm trying to go as authentic 60's as possible with inexpensive parts.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
I finally got me a strat with a nitro finish (62 reissue strat) and i can't wait until it wears! The poly finishes will NEVER wear.

Why don't you check out a Highway one strat? They have a thin and fragile finish. The finish starts chipping and wearing pretty quickly.
the thing is if memory serves the highway is a 60's body with a 60's tremolo (6 screw) atleast mine is but it is the older 2005 version, You could try finding a CIJ or MIJ they should be cheapish,

Last nite I played an original made in 63 P Bass it was heavily worn (including a big chip where he used to stand next to the cymbal and it had worn into the bass), the nitro had dis coloured (prob due to all the smoke from pubs its been played in) the thing was a dream to play you could feel the wood it was pretty cool. Just thought I'd add that
Quote by johntb
the thing is if memory serves the highway is a 60's body with a 60's tremolo (6 screw) atleast mine is but it is the older 2005 version, You could try finding a CIJ or MIJ they should be cheapish

The older highways aren't routed for humbuckers are they? The new ones are. :S
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
The older highways aren't routed for humbuckers are they? The new ones are. :S

I didnt realise that... mij or cij will be best bet then specially used they retain practically no value.
About the highways, are there different finishes on them? I've checked some bodies out, some say "satin finish", some "satin nitro finish" and some just says "nitro". Now "satin" probably means nitro or something, but, just to be sure. :P

Does the three tone sunbursts on the highway ones look as good as those that would be on a high end Strat? Thin-skin or 62' Vintage.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
Well, the "middle" part then. :P

I'll see what I can do about a picture.
Either I'll get one really soon or it'll take untill tomorrow. :P
Thank you for being so helpful!

got a pic yet?

no problem man

Quote by Chances
Meh, I just found out that my body has a poly finish.
I suppose I was kind of... ripped off.

Well, anyway, back to my original question, how would I go about finding a nitro body? Preferably slightly worn. :P

And Johntb, I'm happy you like your Highway One Although I'm trying to go as authentic 60's as possible with inexpensive parts.

how ?
btw, a poly finish isn't bad, you know. it's a bit less resonant and doesn't wear as much or in the same way a nitro finish does, but that's it.

ah, that, i know.
there are lots of '62 strat bodies on ebay.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=62+strat+body&category0=

Quote by Chances
About the highways, are there different finishes on them? I've checked some bodies out, some say "satin finish", some "satin nitro finish" and some just says "nitro". Now "satin" probably means nitro or something, but, just to be sure. :P

Does the three tone sunbursts on the highway ones look as good as those that would be on a high end Strat? Thin-skin or 62' Vintage.

satin just means that it isn't 'shiny' but matte. it doesn't have anything to do with nitro or poly.
as far as i know, the satin finish is the only option.

it's not really comparable, because the vintage RIs have a glossy finish, as opposed to the satin lacquer on the highway 1's.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jun 19, 2008,
Nah, I got less excited about taking a photo when I found out that it was poly.
How I found out what finish it was? I asked the guy I bought it from by email.

And I know it's not *bad*, it just makes it impoosible for this body to look like the one that would fit on my dream guitar. Like... so close but still so far away, you know? :P

Many of the Japanese 62's are poly too. Just so you know. :P
Kind of intrested in the highway-bodies now though, if they actually looks and sounds as the thin skins and vintage 62's, then I won't say no.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Last edited by Chances at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by Chances
Nah, I got less excited about taking a photo when I found out that it was poly.
How I found out what finish it was? I asked the guy I bought it from by email.

And I know it's not *bad*, it just makes it impoosible for this body to look like the one that would fit on my dream guitar. Like... so close but still so far away, you know? :P

Many of the Japanese 62's are poly too. Just so you know. :P
Kind of intrested in the highway-bodies now though

ah, sorry, i didn't read it yet when i typed that, and i didn't realize afterwards.

may i ask what your dream guitar is ?

ah, i didn't know. well, there are plenty of USA bodies on there.
you like the satin finish ?

btw, I recently sent Fender an email that might interest you too.
Nitro finishes are more pores, in terms of its physical make up. The term thin skin means that we spray less nitro than we would normally spray on any given instrument.

It is believed that that thinner the coat of nitro the more responsive the instrument will be tonally, and it will speed up the aging process. We spray a poly sealer on the body before we spray the lacquer, this helps in keeping the lacquer for soaking into the wood. Like I said earlier nitro is very pores, and with out the poly sealer, it would take an abnormal amount of lacquer to properly finish the instrument.

Ed Treat

Fender Consumer Relations

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.

8860 East Chaparral Road, Suite 100

Scottsdale, AZ 85250-2610

Telephone: 480-596-9690 ex. 7274

Fax: 480-367-5262

E-mail: etreat@fender.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted At: Monday, June 16, 2008 9:25 AM
Posted To: Consumer Relations
Conversation: '62 strat
Subject: '62 strat

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have read on the spec sheets of several 'vintage reissue' Fenders on your site (the '57 en '62 strats for example) that the lacquer on the body and neck is nitrocellulose. But I sometimes encounter things like " The finish on the AVRI series is also nitro, but sprayed over a modern polyurethane undercoat".
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jazzmaster
I know that wikipedia sometimes isn't a very reliable source, but i have heard similar things about the AVRIs on several forums.
Is it true that there isn't just a nitrocellulose finish on the body and necks of the american vintage series, but also a polyurethane undercoat ?
If not, then what exactly is the difference between a limited edition 'thin-skin' 62 Jaguar and a regular AVRI '62 jaguar for example ? I thought nitro finishes were always thin ?

Yours faithfully,
Steven.

Last edited by The red Strat. at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
may i ask what your dream guitar is ?

That would be a real 1962 Fender Stratocaster that's been played a lot (preferably by myself :P)
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by The red Strat.
you like the satin finish ?

I don't really know what the satin finish is. :P

...what's diffrent about it?

And SenorSmiley, it doesn't look like it has worn in the way I'd like. :/
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
I don't really know what the satin finish is. :P

...what's diffrent about it?

And SenorSmiley, it doesn't look like it has worn in the way I'd like. :/

Satin is a matte finish, basically they havent polished it to a high gloss, after a few weeks of playing it glosses up really well (rubbing ur jumper / shirt on it) and it is nitro ...

.JPG">.JPG">http://www.treecebirch.myzen.co.uk/recordings/My%20baby%20and%20Lady%20.JPG

my highway has the maple board its slightly lighter in colour but i think thats just down to the actual wood.. the picture isnt great I know but it shows a 62RI next to the highway

If I get time tonight I'll take a shot of them both next to each other properly
Last edited by johntb at Jun 19, 2008,
Is the three tone sunbursts highways satin?
So, basically they look exactly the same?

And thanks for the picture! ^^
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
Is the three tone sunbursts highways satin?
So, basically they look exactly the same?

And thanks for the picture! ^^

Its a normal three tone sunburst but the laquer isnt polished to a gloss.... i.e it doesnt shine so much but honestly a days worth of playing and you can see where the jumper has polished it...

Tbh I like the satin finishes, Gloss sometimes feel a bit sticky but the satin is really smooth..

If you put these 2 guitars infront of somebody, minus the fretboard and the pickguard colours you wouldnt tell the dif...
Quote by johntb
If you put these 2 guitars infront of somebody, minus the fretboard and the pickguard colours you wouldnt tell the dif...

Hmm, so if they start to shine after a while then... and if they're as much alike as you say. Then I'll see if I can get my hands on a Highway One body then. Because the body isn't like, worse quality, right? :P
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Quote by Chances
Hmm, so if they start to shine after a while then... and if they're as much alike as you say. Then I'll see if I can get my hands on a Highway One body then. Because the body isn't like, worse quality, right? :P

Naw atleast mine isnt, I had trouble justifying buying the 62 because of how similar they looked... I think the highway has a bit more resonance about it.. very sweet guitar to play...

Btw that website someone put up earlier on I think they do 3 tone sunburst you just gotta ask them. They say they can match any colour so :P

http://www.kavanaghcustoms.co.uk/

btw out of interest how does you Fulltone Cylde sound??
Last edited by johntb at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
the '62 fender strats do have nitro lacquer.

this is true

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Timzee, uhm, I know. Did you read the full thread? ^^

Johnbt: I'll sen them an email and ask about it, but it might be more expensive than a Highway One though... We'll see. :P
And the Clyde Deluxe? It sounds... vintagy.Very nice wah, not a metal wah though if someone was planning to use it for that... The Fender, Marshall, Clyde Deluxe combination is really sweet. And the volume knob on the wahwah is really nice, it's something I missed in cheaper wahs. Whenever I use the Clyde Deluxe I get a slight, slight, slight "overdrive-colour" in the tone, it's awesome.
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
(sorry for the bump)

Uhm, would my Japanese '62-reissue neck fit a highway one body as it's supposed to? Flawlessly?
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee
Ebow
Violin Bow
Several Pedals
Awesome! Thanks!
Custom PRS-style guitar
Custom Hollowbody
Silver Jubilee