EDITERNITY: Okay, so finally, after a few month, I got the feeling that I need to work on this. Idk, I felt that I just HAD to work on this. So, yeah, forgive me for my thread necromancy . Bass is there now, added 2 new section (a prelude and some little bit at the interlude), the 2nd guitar is distorted now, as per request, and a title (I know, cheesy title, shuddup ).

Anyway, this isn't the final version, still have to sort out the dissonance and stuff (yes, there are still dissonance, I'm aware of it, just too lazy). Just want to find out what you guys think about it now, especially the new intro. So, enjoy . I especially need crit and help on the prelude, I tried to make a sort of classical-sounding... stuff.... you know, like the ones usually on the final movement of a classical song? It's my first time doing something like that, so yeah, I'd love to know how I did .
Attachments:
Into Fantasy.zip
Into Fantasy MIDI.zip
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Aug 23, 2008,
i didnt listen to all of it but it was quite good

ANDYEDIT* Actually kind of reminded me of the final countdown for some reason lol
Last edited by andy331 at Jun 15, 2008,
Despite the fact that I've got a lot of criticism on this one, I really do like it a lot, and I do think it's a great piece of work.

Okay, so lets see. I didn't like the drums that kick in at A3, something about them just felt inappropriate to the rest of what was going on. Actually I don't really think I like how you do the drums, they kind of feel cluttered, a lot of the time. I can't honestly say if it's something you're doing wrong, or if it's just based on my taste.

I didn't care for how you went into either interlude, it just didn't feel right to me, but you came out of them brilliantly.

The solos were all great.

I loved the use of the timpani as well, just plain awesome there.

There are still a lot of parts that feel cluttered though, you've got a ton of instruments all doing different things, plus a drummer going berserk, and it just feels a little chaotic.

I'm also still hearing quite a bit of dissonance throughout the entire piece, I can't quite put my finger on it though. At a glance I don't think it's because you're going out of key as much as using notes within that key that aren't very complimentary. Like I said though, I can't quite put a finger on why it sounds wrong to me, it just does.

The buildup and release is really good though, and always seems to come at the right time.
Lol, the drum's one of my favorite point in this song . I feel it fits, but to each their own, I guess... Anyway, I just tried to apply standard rock and power metal drumming there, that's all. Didn't tried to make anything flashy nor complex in fear that it would sound cluttered... But if you think that it's messy.... well..... I dunno how to make anymore simpler than it is....

The dissonance may have come from the brasses, I think. I still hear a few, too, though it's very subtle I don't know what to fix . I'm sure they're all in key, as I tried my best in using scale, just that I think there are some minor seconds and whatnot that I missed?

Anyway, thanks for the crits, guys!

EDITERNITY: now that I think of it, maybe the drums sounded messy 'cause there's no bass backing it? I've tried applying bass and it didn't sound as messy, and felt more in unison with the others .
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Jun 16, 2008,
it's pretty much perfect. I loved the sound of this. it's like I'm flying at 3 billion miles an hour on a happy pony with a laser show in the background. yes. That cool. and I almost cried tears of joy.

the only thing I didn't like was the fact that the second guitar was an acoustic. didn't seem right to me...especially during the chorus.

but other than that. this was awesome. you're probably one of the first to write an amazing epic song without metal elements...congratulations. this song is definately something to be proud of. I wish I could give you more negative comments.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Good thing it made you happy, Its_Rock77! That was my aim when I wrote this, tbh. To make an epic song that is
1) happy and is able to cheer people up, unlike most here in which are mostly sad,
2) short and not long-winded, 'cause every time I see epic it's almost guaranteed to be unnecessarily long, and
3) rock, since all epic seems to be metal . But for the third one, this could still be considered power metal, so yeah .

Quote by Its_Rock77
the only thing I didn't like was the fact that the second guitar was an acoustic. didn't seem right to me...especially during the chorus.

Idk, I tried using acoustic to make it more unique and whatnot. Had I used distortion in the chorus it would sound REAL messy... Yes, it didn't felt right, but I had to do that for the sake of clarity. Anyway, the main focus of the chorus was the chord progression anyway, so you should focus on the strings and first guitar. The second was only.... decorations .

Quote by Its_Rock77
I wish I could give you more negative comments.

Lol, screw you!
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by MarchOfEternity
Good thing it made you happy, Its_Rock77! That was my aim when I wrote this, tbh. To make an epic song that is
1) happy and is able to cheer people up, unlike most here in which are mostly sad,
2) short and not long-winded, 'cause every time I see epic it's almost guaranteed to be unnecessarily long, and
3) rock, since all epic seems to be metal . But for the third one, this could still be considered power metal, so yeah .

Idk, I tried using acoustic to make it more unique and whatnot. Had I used distortion in the chorus it would sound REAL messy... Yes, it didn't felt right, but I had to do that for the sake of clarity. Anyway, the main focus of the chorus was the chord progression anyway, so you should focus on the strings and first guitar. The second was only.... decorations .

Lol, screw you!

I agree. and you definately succeeded.

maybe try just a clean guitar then? because I think it was the steel string hollowish sound that was offputting. but good decorations at that.

haha, I just meant cause this forum is for improvement and I wasn't helping you much
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Its_Rock77
maybe try just a clean guitar then? because I think it was the steel string hollowish sound that was offputting. but good decorations at that.

Thing is, if I used clean, it wouldn't even be audible, and people would moan "it doesn't contribute anything, why put it in?". So I slyly cheated to avoid that .

Quote by Its_Rock77
haha, I just meant cause this forum is for improvement and I wasn't helping you much

Lol, ok then....... but..... *awkward silence*
That... was perfect (mostly). Much better than the last one.

My two complaints! Sometimes, it didnt seem the guitars were quite loud enough. Not a big issue. Second: There were times when I didnt think the second guitar should be acoustic (solo especially). The solos were fantastic, also.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
That... was perfect (mostly). Much better than the last one.

My two complaints! Sometimes, it didnt seem the guitars were quite loud enough. Not a big issue. Second: There were times when I didnt think the second guitar should be acoustic (solo especially). The solos were fantastic, also.

Told you the last one was a reeeaalllyyy old piece of mine . Back then I understood almost zero theory .

Guitars weren't loud enough, simply because guitars were not the main voice of this song, it's only icing . The focus is the orchestra lol. For the acoustic, read previous posts, please . Glad you guys liked the solos, I've been studying phrasing and whatnot a whole lot lol. Oh, and violin and flute shred ftw!
my first thought: rpg game?
i like it, when the instruments slowly coming in
i thought i was in a castle. xD
nice drums in the intro and , also the timpani fit in well
but somehow i disliked the violin in b2
but nice use of palm mute
in the bridge i think the bass should play 8th and the drums could slow down a bit earlier, but the rest was ok and flowed
the guitars in the verse could be a bit louder, but as long as they bring that eerie feeling. ;D
the pre-chorus sounded a bit weird, but i dont see what's not working proper.. i never used that many instruments
it's the same in the chorus.. i just hear a bunch of da-da-da-daaa, the only thing i can hear clearly are the drums (i changed them to midi)
the next riff was ok, but the guitars where also a bit weird at the start

that epic thing was great, even if i dont know what's epic
the melody of the overdriven guitar was beatiful..
the solo guitar should be louder

interlude: it was like a song's ending and a new one is starting, i dont know if that was your intention. (;
the violin solo was great.
i didn't like solo c, i dont know why, but i dislike it anyway. ;D
solo d was like typing in random notes of the key, sorry.
even if i dislike the chorus, the outro flowed well in my opinion and let a great song fade out.

beautiful song, even if several parts could be better.
if you wrote this song years ago, it just need some updates. (;
Wow.

I usually can't stand things like this, but I thought this was pretty marvelous. The way you made such a huge arrangement of instruments work without being cluttered is pretty impressive. The only thing I could really see negative here was some of the lead parts. I mean I'm sure they'd sound better outside of MIDI or RSE and played on a real guitar with real expression in them, but they just seemed kind of messy at times in here.

That's really just nitpicking though, I thought this was pretty fantastic all around.

...It was a little cheesy though In a good way.
Quote by talentfree
my first thought: rpg game?

it's the same in the chorus.. i just hear a bunch of da-da-da-daaa, the only thing i can hear clearly are the drums (i changed them to midi)

i didn't like solo c, i dont know why, but i dislike it anyway. ;D
solo d was like typing in random notes of the key, sorry.

if you wrote this song years ago, it just need some updates. (;

Think more along the lines of movie soundtrack .

And that's what you should be hearing in the chorus ! It's actually focused on the chord progression there, so I might erase the whole lead part.

Meh, my solos are generally a mess, anyway . Yep, I suck at solos.

I think you misunderstood, this is my most recent, the old song was the previous, sucky, and should-not-be-heard-by-anyone song .

Quote by Thomasoman
Wow.

I usually can't stand things like this, but I thought this was pretty marvelous. The way you made such a huge arrangement of instruments work without being cluttered is pretty impressive. The only thing I could really see negative here was some of the lead parts. I mean I'm sure they'd sound better outside of MIDI or RSE and played on a real guitar with real expression in them, but they just seemed kind of messy at times in here.

That's really just nitpicking though, I thought this was pretty fantastic all around.

...It was a little cheesy though. In a good way.

Meh, the instruments, however many there were, was actually pretty simple. I divided the instruments into three section, hi, low, and mid, and just group them like so. Like for example on one part I would focus on the hi, so the violin and flute will play high notes, and the rhythm section will play mid, and bass section will cover the low. Generally I used 3 instruments per section, if you look closely, they are all playing mostly the same thing, just a bit added note and harmonization .

Again, lead was only decoration here, the main focus' the orchestra . But the leads were mostly improv anyway, so it's up to the player's will actually. That's how I play it anyway, in here it's just to signify that there is, in fact, a lead part .

The cheese factor is an important factor here . I mean, c'mon, we don't have enough cheese in this forum !

I feel like i would have enjoyed it a lot more if it wasn't in midi. I didn't start getting good to my ears until Interlude A1 and the Epic part right after that, which was brilliant. The drums and guitars feel really out of place for a lot of it, and Id say remove them and youd have a nice film score, but I realize thats what youre going for, so I can't really criticize them too much. Its nice and sweeping, really overdramatic, which I love. Its obvious you spent a lot of time on this, and I really want to hear it with real instruments.
I thought this was really cool. I liked its kind of orchestral/happy feeling that it gave off. It could definately go into a movie. It could be a great superhero theme. :P

9/10

It'd be cool if you did more of these. It's kind of inspiring me to do it myself.

Thanks for your crit

Wow is all I can say. At points it does sound a bit chaotic but for the most part the instruments all work well together. Well done man, well done.For solo A I think you should turn it into an overdriven guitar instead of an acoustic. That really bugged me
overall, you did a great job, sounds very film-y, it reminds me of Nobuo Uematsu's work from the Final Fantasy series. That's always a plus in my books
9/10
C4C? links in my sig.

►-Adam-◄
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

dervishguitar: great to know that . It's great to know that my work could inspire another .

crowldawg66: argh, again with the fucking drums... Tbh idk what I should do with them....

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
Amazing. It sounds almost like Nobuo Uematsu
Quote by eggo_boi_15
it reminds me of Nobuo Uematsu's work from the Final Fantasy series.

I am not the messiah
Quote by ScreamingCheeto
crossed with Stratovarius worldliness

nor am I fat .

But thank you very much, Uematsu's one of my favorite composer, and The Black Mage is like one of my main influence . So you have no idea how awesome it felt for you to say my work is reminiscent of his .

But then you've all made me remembered that I haven't got around to finishing this... Well, it's just bass and a few reworks on the orchestra, nothing major, but new version will most likely be up by tomorrow. So, till then, anyone wanna comment on this? C'mon, just tell me what you think about this piece!
whoa first off sorry for the delay; This is definitely epic and very awesome. I only found two small things Verse 1: I think the G# could be changed its sorta off putting to me. Pre-Chorus: the acoustic is drowned out. everything else sounded great.
THREAD NECROMANCY! ARISE!

Lol. Anyway, after a few good months, finally I felt the need to update this . See first post to see what has been updated. I had to split the files into 2 as it were too big. Into Fantasy.zip contains the GP4 and GP5, and Into Fantasy MIDI.zip contains the MIDI, obviously .
I am commenting as I promised with my C4C, let me start by saying thanks for the comment on my Intro piece (Which I have now edited, there was a misunderstaning with me and the drummer and it has now been edited, pleasde take another look? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15839095#post15839095 )

Now as for this piece. I myself am a fan of Movie Scores, Computer Game Scores and Symphonic Metal Music. This sounds really well, it seems well-written and a lot of time went into making it. I actually would really like to hear this with real instruments, either on a album or live.
You know how to use strings it seems, cause this all fits together, there is not a single place I noticed that sounded bad or strange. This is awesome and if it would be realeased as a Single Album I would buy it!

Rating: 9,8/10 (I do't like giving 10, no other reason, but it is amazing)

-Gulli05

Please look again at my piece as it is updated: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15839095#post15839095 (I really love your work and I love to get comments from someone like you cause you seem to know a lot about symphonic metal, as I am still studying I would like some tips )
I liked the beggining melody with the flute thing.

A2 sounds pretty nice, but there are some clashing notes.

The drums really didn't seem to fit this.

The verse section sounds really good.

The acoustic guitar sounds wierd in bars 67, 68, and 69.

The chorus is cool. Very chorusy. I didn't like the drums though. Plus I think the distortion guitar sounded too dissonant at bar 86.

The epic section was ok.... but there was just way too much going on for it too sound that good. I mean.... you litterally had a wall of instruments playing. It just sounded too cluttered, imo. Plus it built up to an acoustic solo, which was wierd.

So all in all this was a pretty good piece. I guess it's not really my style though. I think you should work on having each instruments part complement each other, instead of having a bunch of instruments playing different things, you know what I mean? 8/10.
I'm a person.
Really? I dont think anything even needs to be said...besides how effing awesome it was.

Thats like the epic song at the end of a RPG game where your on your tip toes with anxiety wanting to know what is about to happen...It was amazing...
Quote by PinkIsCool
The epic section was ok.... but there was just way too much going on for it too sound that good. I mean.... you litterally had a wall of instruments playing. It just sounded too cluttered, imo. Plus it built up to an acoustic solo, which was wierd.

So all in all this was a pretty good piece. I guess it's not really my style though. I think you should work on having each instruments part complement each other, instead of having a bunch of instruments playing different things, you know what I mean? 8/10.

Lol, guess what? You listened to the old version of this! Yeah, I forgot to remove it .

Anyway, thanks for the crit. Yeah, I was actually trying to go for a wall of sound approach . Ummm, if it's not too much of a bother, would you mind listening to the newer version? Just the *new* intro is fine, and maybe the *now-distorted* solo, not much else update, I think. I really need crit and tips on the prelude part >_< .
Quote by MarchOfEternity
Lol, guess what? You listened to the old version of this! Yeah, I forgot to remove it .

Anyway, thanks for the crit. Yeah, I was actually trying to go for a wall of sound approach . Ummm, if it's not too much of a bother, would you mind listening to the newer version? Just the *new* intro is fine, and maybe the *now-distorted* solo, not much else update, I think. I really need crit and tips on the prelude part >_< .

Oh lol I just clicked on the biggest file cause I figured that would be it. Sorry dude I'll crit the new one now.
I'm a person.
The prelude is really cool at the beggining. The low strings give it a very eerie effect.

The melody at 9 is very good. And I like how the basson's and the string's parts each complement each other.

Bar 14 = ARRRGH! lol sorry but I think you should keep string ensemble 1 at an F through that whole bar. It's sounds pretty crappy otherwise, in my opinion.

Bar 17 is beautiful. As is the rest of the prelude. Not really much for me to crit there.

Ok, here's something I don't like. I was expecting the prelude to build up into something big and awesome... but it just built up into... ANOTHER symphonic intro. That really doesn't make sense to me, and if I ere you, I would just save that prelude for another song, or take out intro A1 and replace it with something worthy of being built up into.... lol.... you know what I mean?

The guitar solo was ok I guess. There were some spots where the note you hit just didin't sound good, but all in all it was a decent solo.
I'm a person.
I can't be arsed writing a full crit, I'll do that tomorrow, but I have to say I ****ing LOVE the chorus progression.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
this was a very beautiful piece of music, but at times it felt like too much, I could see where you were putting in like, little suspensions with one of the instruments, but it wouldn't work cause there were so many string ensembles going at once, so it just sounded like clutter, or mild dissonance. But that's all I can say, this is extremely creative and amazing, kudos to you!
Whew, this may be the hardest piece to ever write a crit on, but let´s start. Very nice Prelude, sets a great atmosphere, A1-A3 are going great with each other, I don´t really know what to crit.The Drums in the bridge kinda bugged me... They just didn´t seem to fit. But Verse 1 and 2. HOLY ****! Just owns. The acoustic in the pre-chorus is kinda off, isn´t it? That threw me off a bit. The last bars off the drums didn´t fit too much, either. I don´t really know how to express my view on the chorus, l´ll try with this: HOLY ****ING ****! I´d die for this chorus every time I hear it. I love what you did with the C# Chord. Simply amazing. Nothing wrong with the riff after it, I´m still amazed from the Chorus, and I listened to this already like 15 times. Great Interlude and A2, love the solo. The Epic one, meh, too epic for me , love what the lead guitar does, tho. Seemed kinda off at one time. Solo was kinda too wanky for my taste, but still sounds great. Love the next Interlude. Where the **** did you get this inspiration? Loved B too. Violin Solo?? Unexpected But nice. Flute Solo also nice. Guitar Solo, also a bit too wanky for my taste. And this is the part where I´ll stop to crit and go to jump off a buidling because of the awesomeness that follows. 10/10 I salute to you.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by PinkIsCool
Ok, here's something I don't like. I was expecting the prelude to build up into something big and awesome... but it just built up into... ANOTHER symphonic intro. That really doesn't make sense to me, and if I ere you, I would just save that prelude for another song, or take out intro A1 and replace it with something worthy of being built up into.... lol.... you know what I mean?

Yea, I know, that bothered me, too, and I'm the composer! lol. I kinda want to expand on it, but then I remembered I strayed a bit too far from my initial aim of writing this (see my previous post). Maybe if I ever get around to record this, the prelude and the 'Into Fantasy' part will be on different tracks, with the prelude fully expanded to, say, a 5 minute overture .

Anyway, I just wanted to know how I did on that, because I'm currently writing a similar prelude for another piece of mine.

Madzää: ummm... your crit was.... interesting? lol. Thanks for those kind words . It means a lot, coming from you lol. The interlude was actually mostly comprised of previous parts of the song. The whole interlude A was a direct copy paste from the chorus, with added stuff . You know, repeating the theme and whatnot lol.

The acoustic in the pre-chorus is kinda off, isn´t it? That threw me off a bit.

Yeah, the modulation to Phrygian Dominant was a bit rough, I admit. But I used it to emphasize that sort of mystic tone.

Anyway, thanks for the crits, guys! If anyone wants a crit back, just leave a link .
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Aug 22, 2008,
Intro is quite epic! I like the use of all the different instruments. I like it especially once the drums kick in. Nice section after the bridge, I like that. Chorus has got to be one of my favorite parts in the song, very creative and catchy! The transition into the interlude was done very nicely! Very good solo, I like all of that, it was really unique.

Now that fadeout after the solo was good. I personally didn't like it, but theres nothing wrong with it, it's just my opinion. I REALLY like all the solos on the different instruments, very good sounding! Then goes back into the chorus (which I love lol). That's definitely one of the most epic choruses I've ever heard.

Overall, really really nice song, I loved it!
9/10
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Any chick that can dance with a walrus to Michael Jackson songs is hot in my book.
Overall this was pretty good, but at points it felt like it was lacking direction, especially with all of the rises and falls. I didn't really particularly care for any of the solos (especially the first one, that whole section general wasn't that great), but the chorus was awesome. The acoustic usage, however, didn't really do much for me, and sometimes the instrumentation was jumbled.

There's really not much to crit, it's a good atmospheric piece, that is for sure. Although I am of the opinion that 'epic' should be left to the listener to decide. But this was epic, so I guess it doesn't really matter.