Ibanez-http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar?sku=519965
Schecter-http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEC1CL

I like to play alot of instrumental rock (Vai, Satriani...),
some metal (Dream theater, Metallica...), and a little bit of blues (SRV, Clapton)

I currently use a (modded) peavey classic 50 tube amp.

Which guitar would suit me best?

The ibanez is a little bit more expensive, but is it really that much better?

Which guitar has better stock pickups?

Which guitar has better cleans?
Not the telecaster like twang, but nice fingerpicking kind of cleans?
Quality: Ibanez (MIJ)
Pickups: Schecter (Actual SD's)
Cleans: Neither, comes from your amp.

Doesn't really matter because they are two very different guitars. Do you want a trem or not?
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by T!AN

Doesn't really matter because are two very different guitars. Do you want a trem or not?

I highly recommend trying them out, the neck dimensions of both guitars are wildly different!
I haven't played schecter yet, but i'd have sex with my Ibanez 1570 if i could. I love it. Every aspect of it. Except the pickups, but you can change them, and get a JEM or JS for $2000 less, as i did. For the record, i tuned it, molested the floyd as much as i could for a month, steve vai/herman li style. Then plugged it into a tuner, and it didn't detune for a Hz.
they will have completely different necks, better try them out first, or at least similar ones form those brands

i have the seven string version of the ibanez and i love it
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Thanks for the quick replies.

I dont really care about the whammy bar. I like to use it sometimes, but I dont really care if it isn't there.

I really like the thick neck of the schecter, because i'm used to playing acoustic guitar,
but i could get used to the thin Ibanez neck pretty quickly.

I dont usually care about the looks, but the schecter looks way better than the Ibanez, so thats another plus for the schecter.

Also, if you know any other guitars I should try, please do tell! (700-1000$)
Quote by iloveprog
Thanks for the quick replies.

I dont really care about the whammy bar. I like to use it sometimes, but I dont really care if it isn't there.

I really like the thick neck of the schecter, because i'm used to playing acoustic guitar,
but i could get used to the thin Ibanez neck pretty quickly.

I dont usually care about the looks, but the schecter looks way better than the Ibanez, so thats another plus for the schecter.

Also, if you know any other guitars I should try, please do tell! (700-1000$)

carvin bolt. they are amazing.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
I don't agree the schecter looks "way better", some of them look almost tacky in photos I have seen of them being used.

I like the way Ibanez RGs and S's look alot.
I hear alot of good things about Carvins, but they are impossible to get in Europe
Get the RG 1570, more versatility.

Because trust me, nothing sucks worse than wanting a trem and not having the option. There are very easy guides to stop it from floating temporarily so you don't have to deal with the bull**** of tuning.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by T!AN

Doesn't really matter because they are two very different guitars. Do you want a trem or not?

Uh... If you've ever played more than one guitar, you wouldn't say things like "cleans come from your amp".

No guitar suits you better based on if you like playing instrumental or whatever. The guitar that you like the sound and feel of suits you better. That's it.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
Uh... If you've ever played more than one guitar, you wouldn't say things like "cleans come from your amp".

My point was, his amp would have a much larger role in shaping his clean tone than either of those guitars, so if he had something in mind he should focus his amp and not expect to plug in a guitar and achieve the tone he wants.

EDIT: I was saying that for this situation not an end all be all rule.
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 15, 2008,
i'd probably go with the ibanez for what you want to play (assuming you're willing to switch pickups), but obviously try both to see which you prefer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't think about for more than two seconds. The C-1 Classic is way cooler, I personaly don't like trem , I prefer neck-thru, the wine-of-life inlay is awsome, SD pups are great. Everything speaks for the C-1 Classic.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
They are very different sounding, very different feeling guitars. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

If you've been playing a bit, probably best to just go out and try everything, even stuff a little beyond your price range (you might be able to find it used, a really beat up electric guitar can still sound good), see what fits you better.
Quote by oakn
I wouldn't think about for more than two seconds. The C-1 Classic is way cooler, I personaly don't like trem , I prefer neck-thru, the wine-of-life inlay is awsome, SD pups are great. Everything speaks for the C-1 Classic.

isn't the c1 classic a set-neck?

i disagree that everything speaks for the c1- certainly, you may prefer it, but the vast majority of things you've said which point you in the direction of it are personal preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried both guitars at the store today, and the schecter sounded
(IMO) better than the Ibanez, but i kind of liked the thinner Ibanez neck better.

How good are the V pickups on the Ibanez?
How much better would it sound with different pickups?
Ibanez, because you mentioned Satch and Vai.

EDIT: the Ibanez pickups are okay. Some people actually like them, but everyone switches them out for Dimarzios later.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by iloveprog
(IMO) better than the Ibanez, but i kind of liked the thinner Ibanez neck better.

You could just change the pickups, i would say go with the one thats easier to play cos you can easily change the pups but it will be hard to change the neck and playability.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by iloveprog

did you try them unplugged? most people change the ibanez pickups eventually, so if it's just the tone of the pickups, that can be changed, especially if you prefer the feel.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you enjoyed the feel of the Ibanez more than the Schecter, I say go for it. If you do a pupswap, the difference in sound between the guitars won't be thaaaaaaat big either.

(the Schecter is a lot better looking though )
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
(the Schecter is a lot better looking though )

100x better, but I try not to care about looks