Page 1 of 3
A thread for saying what you think is the best amp of all time.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I say, the Fender Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jun 26, 2008,
I haven't played enough to say, but I think my f-30 is damn nice amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've never heard of it, who makes it?
Quote by chip46
Mesa
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Mesa, wicked amp it is. Goes all the way from fender cleans to metalcore with an OD. Everything in between sounds amazing. I can get a great classic rock tone and and beautiful santana lead tone. It even does decent metal with my single coil loaded strat.
That's sweet.
Quote by chip46
Nah, I just want to see what people think.
Quote by chip46
"Stock #39"

no doubt the most raw amp that ever existed

as for cleans....i am not the biggest tone chaser of the clean realm sorry.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I'm only saying amps that i've played...

For cleans, i'd say a Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse (which I own), or a blackface super reverb.

For mid gain OD, budda superdrive or a bad cat.

For high gain, bogner uberschall.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i wish i could play Stock 39...

Jim Caswell has his own company now and i think to get your own one of those you're gonna have to pay $5300ish.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Bummer.

Imagine what you'd have to pay for an original trainwreck or dumble?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

For cleans, i'd say a Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse (which I own), or a blackface super reverb.

I second this
big time especially the budda and bad cats
I quite like my 6505
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
+1 for the Bad Cats.

I also love the old Plexis and Super Reverbs.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Marshall 1959 ORIGINAL Non scrolling logo SLP

or

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Diezel Herbert.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by darkarbiter7

Damn, beat me to it (i was going to say basically the same thing, but thrown a Bogner Ecstasy in there!).

In my opinion though, the best amp for price, versatility, sound quality, and overall awesomeness is the Mesa DC series (specifically the 50 and 100 watt models). They can be had for under a grand, and go from sweet fender twin style cleans to brutal, tight high gain (like a Recto, if it had the warmth, punch and overall clarity that the Mark series does). They're really impressive bastards.
well my favorite tones ive ever heard have came from Dumble Super Overdrives and its clones. (Two Rock, some Fuchs, a few others.) i have never had the privilege of playing one, probably never will.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I LOVVEEEEEEE my '67 Super Reverb. Greatest cleans I have ever heard. For gain you can't go wrong with a Mesa Mark IV IMO. Or a Mark I for that classic rock sound. Dumble Overdrive Special is also worth a look as well as Trainwrecks. Hell, there's so much good stuff it isn't even funny.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Damn, beat me to it (i was going to say basically the same thing, but thrown a Bogner Ecstasy in there!).

In my opinion though, the best amp for price, versatility, sound quality, and overall awesomeness is the Mesa DC series (specifically the 50 and 100 watt models). They can be had for under a grand, and go from sweet fender twin style cleans to brutal, tight high gain (like a Recto, if it had the warmth, punch and overall clarity that the Mark series does). They're really impressive bastards.

You've played/heard a Chicago Blues Box?
I have like the PERFECT blues tone dialed in ATM in my Roadhouse. I'm gonna take a sharpie or something to mark where the settings go (they aren't labeled).

I'll also throw the Marshall JTM45 though in the best amp list.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Is that blues improv with the CBB? Either way, it's an amazing tone and you're a great player. I have a great srv chunking thing going on there.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Is that blues improv with the CBB? Either way, it's an amazing tone and you're a great player. I have a great srv chunking thing going on there.

Yeah, they're both done with the CBB.
One was cleaner, and one was a bit dirtier.
The dirtier one was worse tonally, mainly since the camera mic distorted, but it sounds great in real life.
I have a trio of RCA 12AX7's in the preamp, and I have a JAN/Philips 5751 on order to finish off the preamp.
And, i'm getting a pair of RCA 6l6's put in too... so yeah, the tone will be incredible after I get done with it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Damn, your tubes will be worth more than my amp 0.o
Luckily, I got the preamp tubes in tubedepot's sweet preowned deal (15 bucks a pop for used tubes), and i'm getting the 6l6's in a trade with stuff I don't use any more.
So, it's a win-win situation.
Also, I wouldn't ever pay full price for a set of RCA 6l6's. They're like 400 for a pair!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Luckily, I got the preamp tubes in tubedepot's sweet preowned deal (15 bucks a pop for used tubes), and i'm getting the 6l6's in a trade with stuff I don't use any more.
So, it's a win-win situation.
Also, I wouldn't ever pay full price for a set of RCA 6l6's. They're like 400 for a pair!

holy crap!!!!! $400 for a pair? thats insane.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
They sound amazing and last for a long time though so if you have the money they are probably worth it. If you're gonna run your amp through an attenuator like me though and annihilate tubes then they're probably a waste.
it will be a long time before i spend that much on tubes.
i doubt that the improvement in tone merits the price increase. i can get a pair of good tubes for $40, so i doubt it sounds $350 better. oh well.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Consider the longevity of the tubes aswell. Tubes sound twice as good and lasting twice as long are worth 4x the price IMO
they probably do last more than twice as long. but i cant come up with $400 that easy haha. not to mention, unless you have a really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really nice amp it probably isnt worth it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I've had the best amp ever in my sig for over a year, I don't know why you needed a thread about it
well what is it, Colin?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
It's a Cage Corsa. There are some pics in my sig, the "My Gear" text is a link.
Hopefully I'll be putting an album together over the summer, so you'll be able to hear it on most of the tracks.
it looks sweet, is it based on an amp that maybe ive heard of before, or is it a pretty original sound. how is it voiced? i cant wait to hear it haha
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
It's voiced differently than most amps. The cleans sound sort of like a twin or a Super but with a little more warmth and midrange. The overdrive is very different than anything I've played, the closest thing I could compare it to might be a Hiwatt or a lower gain Komet/Trainwreck.
wow cool. from the cleans it sounds like something i would be interested in
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
The best amp ever is something custom made by someone with experience for you personally. Store bought with be a nice used Marshall JCM800 for me.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Page 1 of 3