OK,
so sweep picking and tapping are like arpeggios or something right? the more i look for them the more confusing it gets, can someone please try and explain or give me an excercise for them? thanks
sweep picking is mainly composed of arpeggios, yes. tapping can be formed from different parts of the chord i believe, like root, 3rd and 5th or something like that, but its basically limitless possibilities and there is no right way to tap, or correct notes. its what sounds good in that key.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
is there any song/band that does sweep tapping alot? im really interested in that because i like the flow of the notes and how just amazing it can get
well, im not really a huge music theory guy you know, but i get how this works but my execution is terrible, and i cant like make one. i was hoping to maybe find a good tab or something for it to help me get started
If you plan on sweeping, you really need to learn theory. Playing a bunch of arpeggios is useless if you don't know how to put them together.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
If you want a tab, try this:

|--------------15h19T22p19p15--------------|
|-----------17----------------17-----------|
|--------16----------------------16--------|
|-----17----------------------------17-----|
|--19----------------------------------19--|
|------------------------------------------|

and to DaddyTwoFoot, the thing that should not be is in drop D
Last edited by \m/Gaz at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by Down da Heezay!
is there any song/band that does sweep tapping alot? im really interested in that because i like the flow of the notes and how just amazing it can get

Try listening to some Necrophagist.
^ yup, they do it aaaaaaaaaaaall the time, listen to stabwound at around 0:25, that one is isolated, so it's easier to hear. if you want another sweep, in the same key as the other I tabbed, try using:

|-----------------14h17T20p17p14-----------------|
|--------------16----------------16--------------|
|-----------17----------------------17-----------|
|--------14----------------------------14--------|
|-----14----------------------------------14-----|
|--12----------------------------------------12--|
Last edited by \m/Gaz at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by \m/Gaz
If you want a tab, try this:

|--------------15h19T22p18p15--------------|
|-----------17----------------17-----------|
|--------16----------------------16--------|
|-----17----------------------------17-----|
|--19----------------------------------19--|
|------------------------------------------|

and to DaddyTwoFoot, the thing that should not be is in drop D

Metallica did not play in Drop tunings in the mid-80s. Almost nobody did apart from classical guitarists and the odd bassline.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by HeavyButLight
u take the 1st 3rd and 5th of a chord and arpegiate it somewhere on the neck

It doesn't have to be a typical 1-3-5 or 1-b3-5 triad. For example, sus2 chords sound great when arpeggiated.

EDIT: You're a multi, by the way.
*reported*
Last edited by :-D at Jun 16, 2008,
I found sweeping extremely easy to learn, start out with 3 strings sweeps like:
Amin
d d d u po u d
E-----------7--12---7------
A-------9----------------9---
G---8-----------------------8-

Then learn how to keep it repeating. Then there's the whole shananagins with the root note and how to do different sweeps depending on what string you throw the root. Then you can go to five string sweeps, keep messing around with it, you'll get the hang of it.
Quote by \m/Gaz
^ It says in the official tab book (which I own), that it's in drop D

Metallica don't write the tab books. The ...AJFA book is well-known for having a lot of mistakes, and if you have Metallica sign them, James will write corrections into your book. Watch the band play it, they clearly play in a standard tuning. It's easier to play in a standard tuning anyway.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Metallica don't write the tab books. The ...AJFA book is well-known for having a lot of mistakes, and if you have Metallica sign them, James will write corrections into your book. Watch the band play it, they clearly play in a standard tuning. It's easier to play in a standard tuning anyway.

yeah...thrash is stupid in drop tunings IMO

most people think walk is in drop d too, but its in d standard, much like all their **** that the 6th string is a D
Maybe they played it down a half-step, but it doesn't really matter. I play phrases different than the tab says, and if the notes are the same and my way is easier for me, it doesn't matter. I tap things I'd rather not pick, and I pick things I'd rather not play legato.

It doesn't matter.
I hate being a douche and keeping this going, but Walk was also down a full step. Dimebag wrote an article for Guitar World where he talks about the uses of D standard and drop D and he says that Walk was recorded a full step down.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Jun 18, 2008,
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I hate being a douche and keeping this going, but Walk was also down a full step. Dimebad wrote an article for Guitar World where he talks about the uses of D standard and drop D and he says that Walk was recorded a full step down.

+1
I have that article somewhere in my room. And besides, if you watch any videos online of him doing the song, it's obvious it's in D standard.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR