Put down your board and your guitar and talk about surf music with other fans.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
A great point.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
What I remember of Dick Dale I liked. Same with Man or Astro-man. I really could not stand the Beach Boys or Annette Funichello (sp) or whatever the Beach Blanket Bingo stuff was. I really don't like pop style music.

Opps, I completely forgot about Dead Kennedys. My favorite punk band. They weren't really surf punk but East Bay Ray's SF surf twang make DK the shit.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Last edited by Liam Alan at Jun 15, 2008,
I love surf music. I don't have much in the way of specifics to add, but it's good stuff.
I can't get enough surf music. It's what made me want to play guitar in the first place. There were so many great bands that unfortunately turned out to be one hit wonders. It's not hard to find those good old surf recordings, though.

And surf is definitely still alive. The Boss Martians and Slacktone are fantastic, and if you don't listen to them then you suck.
Originally posted by Neon Knight
Ramco i worship you and your awesome comment \m/
Yeah please recommend some Surf Rock bands, I have listened to the Dead Kennedys since I was like 10, but my buddy just explained to me today that East Bay Ray was surf rock influenced, so I poked around and got some Dick Dale stuff off the interwebs, and found some youtube videos of the band The Surf Coasters (can't find their CDs anywhere though).

Any other bands I should get hip to? I've always loved this sound.
Quote by Guitar_Theory
Yeah please recommend some Surf Rock bands, I have listened to the Dead Kennedys since I was like 10, but my buddy just explained to me today that East Bay Ray was surf rock influenced, so I poked around and got some Dick Dale stuff off the interwebs, and found some youtube videos of the band The Surf Coasters (can't find their CDs anywhere though).

Any other bands I should get hip to? I've always loved this sound.

Well if you like the Dead Kennedys you'll probably like Agent orange who are like Surf punk.

EDIT: and Dick Dale for real surf
two and a half men.
Satan's Pilgrims
Man or Astro-Man?
Los Straightjackets
Ventures
Surfaris
Challengers
Radio Birdman for more surf-influenced rock
There's a billion surf bands
The Duo-Tones, acoustic surf band. Listen to Last Night in Waikiki by them. Blue Moon by the Ventures. The Surfaris. The Lively Ones, The Eliminators.
Quote by chip46
Check out these two bands for surf music, they're amazing!

Slackstring: http://www.myspace.com/slackstring
a Surf/Folk rock band from CA
Recommended listening: She's On a Mission, Sunday Jen, Sun Again Will Shine

and

The Beautiful Girls: http://www.myspace.com/thebeautifulgirls
Another amazing folk band from Australia.
Recommended listening: Morning Sun, On A Clear Day, Water.

Both absolutely amazing.
I was just about to start a Ventures thread when I saw this.

I have Walk Don't Run -- The Best of the Ventures. It's very good. I'm probably going to get some Dick Dale sometime soon. But when I listen to other surf bands, they all basically sound the same. Can anyone recommend some surf (or other guitar-based instrumental music, I don't really care) that really stands out?
I've always thought the same. Surf doesn't have a ton of variety from what I've heard, though I haven't dug too deep. Someone mentioned the Duo-Tones, and I would recommend them for something slightly different. They can certainly tear it up on the guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we7trOSuEPA
What's a good Dick Dale album to pick up? I want to check out a few of those gnarly, 60's-sounding surf rock bands, so any other recommendations would be cool too.
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the ghastly ones? They're pretty good. I've heard most of the bands listed already.

The space cossacks and madeira both sound very good from what I've heard.

I sometimes go on this site
SurfGuitar101.com

'tis pretty awesome.
Last edited by ProfessorJim at Sep 24, 2008,
Me and a couple of friends just started a surf/psycho band. Our standup bassist is amazing, and I didn't have too much experience, so I just went with it we've made some cool stuff.

The Elektraws are also a really good surfbilly band to check out, some really catchy stuff, I get a lot of inspiration from them.

They don't have an official myspace, and their stuff is really hard to find, unless you live in the UK.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
This is an underappreciated thread.
Quote by chip46
^yeah, why do all you surf guys speak only mostly of Dick Dale and The Ventures.

are there no decent Surf bands anymore??

Check out Black Unicorn. Its Teppei Tenarishi's (Thrice's guitarist) side project.
Its got a very chill out/surf/that LA tone to it...