This is my first post on UG. The equipment I use is the following:

'Engl Fireball Head' ran through a 'Messa Boogie Roadster 1x12 Cabinet', and the guitar I use is a 'Left Handed 'Epiphone Les Paul'.

I play speed punk and some metal and i'm thinking about getting the pickups changed because i'm not really happy with them. I want something that has alot of kick but gives a smooth and even distortion with not too much mids.

I've heard alot of good things about the 'Bare Knuckles Nail Bombs' and i'm just wondering if anyone has the same pickups or could give me advice on any other ones that would best suit the sound i'm after. Thanks in advance.
if you're really interested in bare knuckle and want to know what kind would best fit ur style and rig email the dude from bare knuckle. he will recommend what he thinks is best for you. they have excellent customer support. i love my bare knuckles but they are just too expensive for my taste.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
BKP's are awesome, but is there much point on spending £200 on pickups on a ~£200-300 guitar?

The will sound awesome... but I would look into buying a better guitar first.

Being pretty much custom pickups, you will have a good line of communication with the maker, so should be able to get whatever sound you want.

And you have a beautiful amp rig. I'm increadably jealous.
Quote by SickCity12
This is my first post on UG. The equipment I use is the following:

'Engl Fireball Head' ran through a 'Messa Boogie Roadster 1x12 Cabinet', and the guitar I use is a 'Left Handed 'Epiphone Les Paul'.

I play speed punk and some metal and i'm thinking about getting the pickups changed because i'm not really happy with them. I want something that has alot of kick but gives a smooth and even distortion with not too much mids.

I've heard alot of good things about the 'Bare Knuckles Nail Bombs' and i'm just wondering if anyone has the same pickups or could give me advice on any other ones that would best suit the sound i'm after. Thanks in advance.

The nailbomb is nothing but mids. Exactly the opposite of what you are looking for.

If you want high output and not too much midrange then you need a ceramic magnet pickup that isn't wound to high. Something like the Cold Sweat would deliver a tone much closer to what you described.
Not taking any online orders.
not helping too much but I love when I see someone with a midrange guitar and a great amp setup!

But I believe the war pigs and the cold swears may be good for you, I haven't looked in on the BP humbuckers in a while, I'm focusing on the singles, getting myself some irish tours
i'd ask over at the BKP forum and/or email tim, but i suspect that corduroy is along the right lines (as he normally is).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would really advise getting on the blower. Yes, the forums are great, as is the e-mail service, but nothing beats a phone call. The internet has taken all the soul out of this world...

- Rich
Running an EQ in your loop might be a cheaper solution than spending as much money on pickups as you did on your guitar.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
^Switching from machine wound to hand wound isn't like switching from low output to high output. an EQ can not duplicate the tone of a hand wound pickup. The internal capacitance in a pickup causes certain frequencies to spike and be much louder than others. Hand winding and randomly distributing the wire helps change the internal capacitance and levels off the spikes leaving you with a more balanced pickup with flatter responce that is capable of driving your amp harder and sound better at high volume. To get the same effect with an EQ and stock pickups would mean using a peremetric EQ with hundreds of bands.
Wow, thank you for your quick replies and honest advice. I've had to work my arse off to get the gear that i've got and it kills me to know that i'm not getting the most I can out of it, but unfortunatly I don't have the money to go out and buy a high end guitar right now....I know I shouldn't be going for a quick fix but i'm really anxious to just get out there and play and i'm willing to sacrifice perfect tone for that oppurtunity.

I don't know what you think but i've seen a Zakk Wylde set of EMG'S on GAK for £144. Do you think that getting these would be a good idea? I'm desperate to get going and I just want something that will help me do justice to my amp

Again thanks alot for your advice. It's good to get honest opinions because i've been conned into buying alot of ****ty gear before from store workers etc and I don't want that to happen again.
Emailing Tim at Bareknuckle is definitely a good idea. If you don't want to spend that much on an intermediate guitar, Swinesheads are well worth a look too, you could email them. My first thought is that a Venom or Warthog might suit you in the bridge. Not sure about the neck.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ agreed- i'd email swineshead too for advice. Corduroy is probably worth a try too. emgs are very dear in the UK for what they are, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SickCity12
I've had to work my arse off to get the gear that i've got and it kills me to know that i'm not getting the most I can out of it, but unfortunatly I don't have the money to go out and buy a high end guitar right now....I know I shouldn't be going for a quick fix but i'm really anxious to just get out there and play and i'm willing to sacrifice perfect tone for that oppurtunity.

The epi les paul is a good guitar. Even gibson says that if you are looking for a guitar to play (rather than hang on a wall and look at) the epi is a better option. Upgrading pickups is probably the best thing you can do for your rig. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

I'm desperate to get going and I just want something that will help me do justice to my amp

So are you really interested in high gain pickups or just high gain in general? Your amp has got gain to spare so you don't need high output in order to drive the thing into distortion. If you are looking to make the most of your amp you might want to think about vintage output pickups. It'll mean your amp has to do more work but you paid a lot of money for that amp so why not make it work?

I guess I'm still unclear about what you are after and why.
Again, thanks to everyone for their advice. I've booked the day off work tomorrow and i’m going to Denmark Street.....I brought my Engl from a shop there and from what I see they sell pickups too. I’ve put a picture of my gear up on my profile if you want to take a look. I’ll let you know how it goes.