hey guys so i decided to build a computer just for fun, and i want UG to help me. i dont know much about computers but im learning
im not planning to go into hardcore gaming, but i want a computer that still can do gaming.

here are the parts i might get:

-NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

-XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

-Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply

-Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200

-CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

i already have a good moniter, mouse/keyboard, and speakers so i dont need those.
im getting all of the parts from Newegg.com, which seems to be a good source.
do you guys think these parts are alright? any suggestions?
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
For your graphics card, get an 8800GT or better, but don't buy one with 300-something or 700-something MB, those are...dodgy.
Power supply is too weak, I'd be looking at 550W minimum for that, scrap vista get XP. Other than that it's looking good.
8600GT is a good card, but if your budget allows it, go for an 8800GT.
No matter what anyone says, don't get a 9 series card for the time being.

Oh, and don't forget thermal paste + extra cables, chancs are you will need them.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Quote by minixmin
hey guys so i decided to build a computer just for fun, and i want UG to help me. i dont know much about computers but im learning
im not planning to go into hardcore gaming, but i want a computer that still can do gaming.

here are the parts i might get:

-NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

-ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

-XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

-Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply

-Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200

-CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

i already have a good moniter, mouse/keyboard, and speakers so i dont need those.
im getting all of the parts from Newegg.com, which seems to be a good source.
do you guys think these parts are alright? any suggestions?

first off, for the motherboard I suggest you look at some of the Asus or GIGABYTE motherboards, those are good. You should also ditch the 8600 and go for the 9600 if you want a good gaming bang for the buck graphics card and windows xp is better for gaming and doesnt take as much resources as vista.
Definetly boost the power supply. at least 500W.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
ok so for the graphics card i decided to go with this

ASUS EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

and for the power supply

APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK 520W ATX Power Supply

oh and my budget is max $1000
right now with the updates its at $906.92
thanks for the suggestions guy
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
..lol you know the drill...

Pics or didn't happen!

No srsly, put some pics up when you're done.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by minixmin
ok so for the graphics card i decided to go with this

ASUS EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

and for the power supply

APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK 520W ATX Power Supply

oh and my budget is max $1000
right now with the updates its at $906.92
thanks for the suggestions guy

Trust me, the 9600 is not worth it. And I would go for a good branded 550W psu, such as Thermaltake.
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Quote by Neillya1
Trust me, the 9600 is not worth it. And I would go for a good branded 550W psu, such as Thermaltake.

can you explain why the 9600 isnt worth it?
and is this fine?

Thermaltake W0101RU 550W ATX 12V 2.0 Version Power Supply
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Get the 9800GX2 1GB(pricey $550) instead of 9600(crap). If money is a problem than 8800GTS 512mb($250) should be good. Power supply should be a little higher, at least 500W. The Core 2 duo E8400(3.0Ghz) or E8500(3.2GHz) processor is better and not too expensive($190). I have the E8400 and its great.
"That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball" - the Who
To those who say XP is better for games- does XP support Direct X 10, which will be used far more for games in the near future? No, so go with Vista for it as it will remove one less limiting factor from your system.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Quote by minixmin
can you explain why the 9600 isnt worth it?
and is this fine?

Thermaltake W0101RU 550W ATX 12V 2.0 Version Power Supply

The 9600 just isn't as good "bang for the buck" as something like the 8800GT.
It's not a bad card performance wise, you can just get more performance/$ with other cards.

PSU seems good, did a check of it online and would go for it

As to whoever said about vista and DX10, true but without a quad core, you won't be running many DX10 next gen games on full, so XP would do better. Faster and much more stable.

Edit: There are also a few problems with 9 series drivers and Vista 64 bit (not 32bit though).
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Last edited by Neillya1 at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by Neillya1
The 9600 just isn't as good "bang for the buck" as something like the 8800GT.
It's not a bad card performance wise, you can just get more performance/$ with other cards.

PSU seems good, did a check of it online and would go for it

As to whoever said about vista and DX10, true but without a quad core, you won't be running many DX10 next gen games on full, so XP would do better. Faster and much more stable.

Vista is plenty stable. Been running it for 6 months, and it doesn't crash any more than XP did.
Quote by fire within
To those who say XP is better for games- does XP support Direct X 10, which will be used far more for games in the near future? No, so go with Vista for it as it will remove one less limiting factor from your system.

noob.

direct x 10 is already out, and it is used on xp...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
To the above your the nub so STFU no XP is not DX.10 capable unless its a software hack like in Crysis. The mobo is a great choice and an awesome overclocker if your into that thing. If you do get the Intel 8400 then you would have to flash the BIOS in order to fully support it. Its a hell of a CPU though and I am currently running it stable at 4.0GHz on air at around 1.2v. The video card I would suggest you look into something else such as the eVga 8800GTs. They are anywhere from $150-200 and will max every game at great FPS other then Crysis. The case is awesome just saw it a couple days ago and I really want one.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Quote by random_idiot144
To the above your the nub so STFU no XP is not DX.10 capable unless its a software hack like in Crysis. The mobo is a great choice and an awesome overclocker if your into that thing. If you do get the Intel 8400 then you would have to flash the BIOS in order to fully support it. Its a hell of a CPU though and I am currently running it stable at 4.0GHz on air at around 1.2v. The video card I would suggest you look into something else such as the eVga 8800GTs. They are anywhere from $150-200 and will max every game at great FPS other then Crysis. The case is awesome just saw it a couple days ago and I really want one.

GTFO
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by random_idiot144
To the above your the nub so STFU no XP is not DX.10 capable

Actually there is a recently released hack (not just for crysis) that does allow DX10 on XP, but not with all the features. Still good though
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Quote by danyellenik

Super. I quote the site itself:
Download DirectX 10 for Windows XP is available now. You can download it ( Directx 10 for XP ) as the alpha version is said to be working by some users. It is said to work for Windows XP and with directx 10 games and graphics card, they should be able to play directx 10 compatible games like they play in Microsoft’s Windows Vista

Note the bolded points.
Quote by random_idiot144

what does it mean to flash the BIOS? sorry n00b question
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
what does it mean to flash the BIOS? sorry n00b question

it means to update the BIOS before you post and get into windows. The Bios controls things like the temperature, voltage, timings of the memory, speed of the cpu, etc.
UPDATE:

my parents saw the total price so far and freaked out, so i have 2 options.

Option 1: Take apart my old dell dimension 3000 and soup it up

or

Option 2: Continue with my old plan, but with cheaper parts

oh and i decided to use this website now b/c my friend recommended it to me
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=119

for this option, these are the parts i chose:
CASE: Standard ATX Mid-Tower Case w/350W Power Supply
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8300 (2x 2.83GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
MOTHERBOARD: [SLI] MSI P6N SLI-F nForce 650i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Dual PCI-E MB
MEMORY: 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand (2GB)
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB w/DVI + TV out Video
HARD DRIVE: 160 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]

what do you guys think?
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
UPDATE:

or

MOTHERBOARD: [SLI] MSI P6N SLI-F nForce 650i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Dual PCI-E MB
MEMORY: 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand (2GB)

what do you guys think?

you dont have to cough up so much cash on the processor you know...
Quote by minixmin
UPDATE:

or

what do you guys think?

No. That card is weak.
Quote by minixmin
UPDATE:

or

what do you guys think?

You know, dude, you could go with that, and your price would be low and all, and you'd have an okay machine. I mean, if not running is okay with you. You need a kick-ass power supply. If your power supply faulters, you're not doing anything with your machine. If your power supply dies on you, it could damage every single part in your computer. So, take your pick. Good power supply and decent machine, or **** power supply and no machine.
Quote by MustangMan311
You know, dude, you could go with that, and your price would be low and all, and you'd have an okay machine. I mean, if not running is okay with you. You need a kick-ass power supply. If your power supply faulters, you're not doing anything with your machine. If your power supply dies on you, it could damage every single part in your computer. So, take your pick. Good power supply and decent machine, or **** power supply and no machine.

That too. You don't want a cheap power supply. Even if it means getting something else cheaper.
use your original specs more or less
8800GT would be the main change id recommend

and if your going to cut costs dont do it in the power supply as someone else said
dont get a motherboard that has a chipset thats already obsolete. get one thats at least 750i so you get the most for your video card. I still think 8800gt is great and certainly not expensive($150).

To save some money, you can certainly salvage parts from your old computer (depending how old it is) ie. case, hard drive, ram, power supply.
"That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball" - the Who
Quote by dtstuff9
dont get a motherboard that has a chipset thats already obsolete. get one thats at least 750i so you get the most for your video card. I still think 8800gt is great and certainly not expensive($150).

To save some money, you can certainly salvage parts from your old computer (depending how old it is) ie. case, hard drive, ram, power supply.

well im definatly not gonna salvage any parts except maybe the case, cuz everything is worthless. thanks for the suggestions guys but i tihnk im gonna have to just upgrade my old PC. my parents are lowering my budget even more...sooo i have like max $500
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Quote by minixmin
well im definatly not gonna salvage any parts except maybe the case, cuz everything is worthless. thanks for the suggestions guys but i tihnk im gonna have to just upgrade my old PC. my parents are lowering my budget even more...sooo i have like max $500

I think Dell's cases and motherboards aren't standard so you can't put a different motherboard in the case.
well i dont see why not

EDIT: ok i nvm i just read that dell computers are different...
i think i might be able to buy a cheap microtower however.
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
Last edited by minixmin at Jun 16, 2008,
Quote by minixmin
well i dont see why not .

Because the holes for the standoffs aren't in the normal places, so you won't be able to mount the motherboard to the case.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Because the holes for the standoffs aren't in the normal places, so you won't be able to mount the motherboard to the case.

You can do it, it just is really annoying. really its more trouble than its worth, the big problem isn't the holes, its getting the power button hooked up that really causes problems...
Guitars-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Evo XM with EMG 81/85
Epiphone Stratocaster
Eastman AC120 Dreadnought
Martin Backpacker
Squire P-Bass
Kala Mahogany Tenor Ukulele
well to be a gamer now a days your gonna need some serious RAM, a killer graphics card, etc. . . . . .
Quote by RPGoof
Heavy metal indicates you are using meth, LSD, ecstasy or cocaine.
Haha that DX 10 hack is a joke thats why I didn't even bring that into consideration. Look on any serious PC Enthusiast site and its laughed upon even though it is a start. Doesn't much matter Microsoft is stopping any and all support for XP relatively soon... That IBUYPOWER sh1t is just that , sh1t. If the price is too high just save up or buy as you go...
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
In my honest opinion. I had this same situation kinda. Dont upgrade your old pc. Chances are, in a year or two it will suck again. Take that 500 doller budget and find a refurbished pc. i got my Dell e510 at dell.com/outlet for 400 bucks. Its got a dual core pentium D ( hey least its dual core) 1 gig ram, 250 gig hd. It came with decent ati graphics card. For my birthday i asked for 7600Gs video card. This was 3 years ago however, but i saved alot of money and still have a pc that can run most games at playable settings. Check out refurbished or used equipment it works fine
eBay. Also i think you get more bang for your buck with an AMD processor and ASUS Mobo
EDIT: Definitely don't go too cheap with case/psu
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Windows Vista was a pretty big mistake, even Microsoft seems to believe that seeing as the release of their next OS is planned some time 2009-2010. You shouldn't get it if you plan on doing a bit of gaming since it'll drag your setup down.
D:
Signature.