Ok my friend has a gibson sg faded special. He plays Rhythm in our band.
I dont think its a guitar for Rhythm.

Any opinons?
any guitar can be used for whatever the owner wants it to be used for...
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
wtf?! what kinda question is that? ANY guitar can be used for ANY style. no guitar is ONLY good at one thing IMO. i use my SG for some pretty rad rhythms bud. it's not the guitar, it's the gauge of strings and the PLAYER'S technique that determine whether or not it can be used for rhythm.....oh and also a crucial part- THE AMP. EQ it right.

no offense i wasn't knockin' ya, but seriously, don't limit a guitar's capabilities just b/c of who it's associated with or what it sounds like in one person's hands. Iommi played both rhythm and lead in Sabbath...he used an SG....Angus plays lead but also throws out rhythms just as much. Clapton anyone?

SLASHedit: oooohhhh beaten by like 4 people in less than a minute.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
any guitar can be used for whatever the owner wants it to be used for...

AMEN brother
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
<snip>it's the gauge of strings<more snip>

I chuckled.

Spot on on being able to use any guitar for rhythm though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^well you get what i mean right? GENERALLY if you play solely rhythm, your guage of strings is higher. if you're constantly playing leads and bends and virtuoso styles, you go with a lighter gauge. obviously there's gonna be people with "but i use so-and-so gauge strings for whatever" comments, but in general that's how it usually is.

on a side note, i feel stupid asking this, but what exactly is the code for quoting someone? i've never done it before in all 3+ years on this site....

SLASHedit: oh, timi, now that i looked at my first post i notice that it DOES look like i make the string gauge look like a determining factor....i didn't mean to put that much stress on it LOL.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^well you get what i mean right? GENERALLY if you play solely rhythm, your guage of strings is higher. if you're constantly playing leads and bends and virtuoso styles, you go with a lighter gauge. obviously there's gonna be people with "but i use so-and-so gauge strings for whatever" comments, but in general that's how it usually is.

on a side note, i feel stupid asking this, but what exactly is the code for quoting someone? i've never done it before in all 3+ years on this site....

SLASHedit: oh, timi, now that i looked at my first post i notice that it DOES look like i make the string gauge look like a determining factor....i didn't mean to put that much stress on it LOL.

Well no, usually people don't go lighter when they play lots of lead, strings are also, like a guitar. In the way that people use certain gauges for the tone they want. Good guitar players won't look at a string and buy it because it will be easy to play they will buy it because it has sustain, and the tone they want. There's no such thing as a rhythm guitar and rhythm strings, it's all preference.

I deem this thread dumb, there's no such thing as a rhythm guitar, you can use any guitar for that if you like the tone, just find a tone you like. There no set limits on what a rhythm guitar can sound like.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Jun 15, 2008,
^like i said....it is inevitable that at least one person completely disagrees with my statement.

so the general rule -that if you play lots of bends and tapping and sweeps, lighter guage strings would perform better; if you play nothing but chords and rhythm then heavier gauge strings will be more beefy and better for rhythm- doesn't exist here on UG? b/c it is a very decent rule and i didn't make it up that's for sure.

you don't play heavy chord rhythms and palm mutes on thin-as-thread strings. and you don't play super fast leads and sweeps on thick strings that can barely be bent. and yes, i know that tuning down will help negotiate an equilibrium between string gauge and it's playability, but i'm talking general E standard (or drop D even) tuning.

like i said, this isn't me talking out my ass. i appreciate that you backed up your reasoning though. this is just my general consciousness on the subject and still firmly use it as a GENERAL (NOT the end-all-be-all) rule.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

That's how I read it, you've made a good point now you've clarified it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
lol..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Hmmm so there is now rhythm and lead specific guitars. What does a person do in a 1 guitar band switch guitars for the solo.
I use my SG for rhythm all the time, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by jonathonbrad
Ok my friend has a gibson sg faded special. He plays Rhythm in our band.
I dont think its a guitar for Rhythm.

Any opinons?

This is for you:

I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by slash_rocks2005
wtf?! what kinda question is that? ANY guitar can be used for ANY style. no guitar is ONLY good at one thing IMO. i use my SG for some pretty rad rhythms bud. it's not the guitar, it's the gauge of strings and the PLAYER'S technique that determine whether or not it can be used for rhythm.....oh and also a crucial part- THE AMP. EQ it right.

no offense i wasn't knockin' ya, but seriously, don't limit a guitar's capabilities just b/c of who it's associated with or what it sounds like in one person's hands. Iommi played both rhythm and lead in Sabbath...he used an SG....Angus plays lead but also throws out rhythms just as much. Clapton anyone?

SLASHedit: oooohhhh beaten by like 4 people in less than a minute.

i'd have to disagree with you. there are a variety of guitars for a reason. an SG is ok for rhythm. but you wouldn't want to play metal with a stratocaster and blues with a schecter would you? chill out. guitars capabilites aren't "limited" but they make different guitar styles and pickups for reasons.

i'd suggest he try out a telecaster or something. imo single coil pick ups sound better because you can still hear the chord. humbuckers can get really dirty and scratchy. unless your music calls for heavy rhythm. just a thought.
i bet its more to do with the fact you guys are playing thru dog**** amps like that crate the OP has
^yea i think a really good quality amp with lots of EQ tweaking could make a guitar at one extreme end of the style spectrum sound more towards the other, maybe not all the way but at least somewhat good nonetheless.

if Clapton plays a schecter or ESP, it's gonna sound like clapton....mostly LOL. vice versa.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^yea i think a really good quality amp with lots of EQ tweaking could make a guitar at one extreme end of the style spectrum sound more towards the other, maybe not all the way but at least somewhat good nonetheless.

if Clapton plays a schecter or ESP, it's gonna sound like clapton....mostly LOL. vice versa.

Although I would LOVE to see ol' Slowhand playing the blues on an ESP Alexi Laiho sig guitar through about 10 Krank stacks with the mids scooped. Hilarious, methinks.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
^well, thankyougermany, that's not what i'm saying. if Clapton were playing through 10 Krank stacks he wouldn't be playing w/ the mids scooped. he'd EQ them how he wanted, prolly minimal gain and cranked master. but the point is, a guitarist can't change the basic sound nature of the guitar through their knobs and pup selection NEARLY as much as they can with the amp. see what i mean?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^and now that i think about it some more, we're not saying what amp he's playing through, just the guitar. Clapton obviously wouldn't be playing through Kranks. If he had an Alexi Laiho sig guitar going through a marshall Bluesbreaker, he'd find a way to still make it work. though the one bridge pup (active i assume) sure as heck would make it difficult. but that's where the good quality amp comes in to balance off the equilibrium of the guitar being at an extreme end of the style spectrum.

i'm not saying it'll make an Alexi sig guitar sound just like his album work, but he'd definitely make it sound like blues music no doubt.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
but you wouldn't want to play metal with a stratocaster and blues with a schecter would you?

I play metal with my Strat all the time, single coils sound badass for metal imo, plus Strats feel and play very nice (for me anyway) so it's only natural that I'd use it for everything!

If I had a Schecter I'd totally play blues with it, unless it was a 7 string. In fact C-1 Classics are great for blues, but I'm thinking you mean more of a Hellraiser.

I get what you mean though, you wouldn't see most people in these genres playing them because there's (arguably) better guitars for those styles.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think it all comes down to how you play. I played a metal guitar into a metal amp with metal settings and it still sounded bluesy because that's how I play. Guitarist>amp>guitar>pups
You're 100% correct Slashrocks, I was making a joke, buddy
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
hey no hard feelings at all, i thought you were saying against what i was and was only backing up my words with info lol.

mi mal!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Adrian smith of iron maiden uses a strat...and i love their tone...
who says a strat can't do metal?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^Granted he's using stacked singlecoil size humbuckers.
omg

all of you, just stop!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
UG's IQ is WAY down today. But yeah sorry about the string gauge thing now I see what your saying makes more sense. I guess I just didn't have metal in my mind at all because I'm a blues player which then string gauge is very based on preference not what you play. But with metal string gauge also goes with if you de-tune and all that shredding business, wouldn't want to go through 5 strings a day now would you.

I think this thread should be closed though, I really do, it's just a huge rape fest.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think it all comes down to how you play. I played a metal guitar into a metal amp with metal settings and it still sounded bluesy because that's how I play. Guitarist>amp>guitar>pups

Haha, I'm the same way!

Whenever I try to solo, it's always bluesy, blues is cool, for when I'm playing blues! I don't want it to sound like that all the time!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Stop playing your pentatonic scales!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
lol^

yea this needs to be closed, i think the TS has the idea by now anyway.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Jinskee
Stop playing your pentatonic scales!

I'm not even playing pentatonic scales though, that's the thing! lmao
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
xD

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R